Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Publix is a dinosaur among supermarkets nationwide and it is the least receptive to new technologies.
I'm not sure what you've based this statement on...
I just built a Publix in Tallahassee and can tell you that you couldn't be more wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
There's a few things I can get at Publix that I can't find at Winn Dixie, but for the most part I rank the two about equal. With both companies, the newer stores are better than the old ones.

I usually go to WalMart, but sometimes I just don't feel like dealing with the crowds so I go to W/D or Publix. Depends on my mood.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyTheSilence View Post
I'm not a big fan of Publix supermarkets in FL. For one, I think they have too much of a monopoly, which is never good. I come from the UK originally, where instead of having just one main supermarket chain (Wal-Mart & Winn-Dixie don't count), I got to choose from 4-5, at least 2 of which were open 24 hours and were twice the size of even a large Publix, offering far more variety and more affordable prices, particularly on fresh/baked produce.

Publix are good for certain items, but I have found that the quality of their produce has gone downhill fast, the bakery sucks and most of the aisles are just aisles and aisles of the same artificial cr*p, i.e. 100 different varieties of salad dressing, but not enough varities of cheeses, meats & fresh vegetables.

I also find their policy of not only bagging your groceries, but helping you carry your groceries to your car rather baffling. Yes, I know that sounds weird, but I don't understand why someone perfectly able-bodied needs help wheeling their groceries to their car & unloading them. Personally, I call that a luxury and a gross inefficiency. Those staff would be better employed manning the checkouts, or ensuring that the shelves are kept stacked up.

I think that Publix would benefit from healthy competition. Why will no major supermarket chain take the chance and come down here to try to compete with them? Competition is always good, after all.

Then again, my experience of Publix supermarkets comes from living in South Florida....perhaps Publix supermarkets are better in other parts of the state?

What are your thoughts?
I LOVE PUBLIX!!! It's one of my favorite food stores to go to!! Winn-Dixie as well. I like the fact that they are distinctly Floridian and have distinct smells. It's so petite inside and everything is well-light and ready to buy. I love it all!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:03 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
One thing I hate about Publix is that you can't get anything spicy. They do not sell the "hot" version of any of their salsas, for example. Only medium and mild. The selection is tiny too. Their hot sauce selection is equally pathetic (and definitely not hot).

Publix needs more competition. In Houston, for example, there's Randall's (a subsidiary of Safeway), Kroger, HEB, Fiesta, Food Town, and Walmart. In Florida it's basically just Walmart since Albertson's pulled out, and there aren't too many of those.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:32 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
There are about equal numbers of Publix and Sweet Bay stores around here. It is funny, Sweet Bay has a more attractive name and logo, and their new stores are appealing in many ways...but the Publix stores are better. The last Sweet Bay store I was in was set up to inconvenience shoppers. Cheese is displayed in refridgerated cabinets with doors, so only one shopper at a time can access it. Fresh cut fruit was displayed in a cooler where the containers had to be set up on edge, so the juice ran out and made the packages sticky. The deli area was aesthetically very nice, but the offerings were less varied than Publix. I'm not too knowledgable about prices, but the wine was priced high at Sweet Bay.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
There are about equal numbers of Publix and Sweet Bay stores around here. It is funny, Sweet Bay has a more attractive name and logo, and their new stores are appealing in many ways...but the Publix stores are better. The last Sweet Bay store I was in was set up to inconvenience shoppers. Cheese is displayed in refridgerated cabinets with doors, so only one shopper at a time can access it. Fresh cut fruit was displayed in a cooler where the containers had to be set up on edge, so the juice ran out and made the packages sticky. The deli area was aesthetically very nice, but the offerings were less varied than Publix. I'm not too knowledgable about prices, but the wine was priced high at Sweet Bay.
I agree about Sweetbay. I buy a few things there that I can't find elsewhere, but I feel their deli is scant, their wine priced REALLY high, and you are right about the cheeses. They overall have less to choose from there. Oh, and I think their bakery goods are absolutely AWFUL.

I am sure Publix stores vary by town and neighborhood, all I have to say are the ones I have here have so much variety and choices one can really get almost anything they want.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM

37 posts, read 79,629 times
Publix -- "where shopping is a pleasure" -- is a great general market. For specialty items, I do have to turn to gourmet shops; for goods like cleaning products and bathroom tissue, I'll head to Walmart, to save a buck or two; for produce, it's probably best to go to the local farmer's market on weekends... But for everyday grocery-shopping, Publix is best.

I abhor traffic, but when it comes to consumer goods, I think that traffic is a good sign. The Winn-Dixies here are empty of buyers. Makes for a non-crowded shopping-experience, but scares me as to how long stuff has been sitting there. Publix is always abuzz. I don't very much mind that I have to wait while they open a new ham to slice for me at the deli. It means the turnover is good, and there's a better chance that I'm getting fresher supplies.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM

817 posts, read 2,251,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
One thing I hate about Publix is that you can't get anything spicy. They do not sell the "hot" version of any of their salsas, for example. Only medium and mild. The selection is tiny too. Their hot sauce selection is equally pathetic (and definitely not hot).

Publix needs more competition. In Houston, for example, there's Randall's (a subsidiary of Safeway), Kroger, HEB, Fiesta, Food Town, and Walmart. In Florida it's basically just Walmart since Albertson's pulled out, and there aren't too many of those.
Honestly there is a reason why Publix has so little competition...they are the best grocery store chain in the state. At times in the past, the landscape has (and still includes) Winn Dixie, Pantry Pride, Albertson's, Piggly Wiggly, Sweetbay, Sedano's, Aldi, Wal-Mart, and Target. I've seen many of those other stores shuttered up. I've never seen a Publix go out of business.

The ONLY negative I can think of WRT Publix is their prices. They're not the cheapest place out there. Other than that, they are easily the best chain in the state.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Publix is a dinosaur among supermarkets nationwide and it is the least receptive to new technologies. They are the only grocery store in our area and that is why I go to them.
You really think so?
My Publix has updated their customer-pay system several times since I first moved here, as well as remodeled the building (I've been here 3 and a half years.)
OTOH, I appreciate their customer-friendly service and the fact that no matter how busy the store is, I never have to wait that long because management always keeps an eye on the heavy traffic. A pleasant shopping experience never goes out of style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I am sure Publix stores vary by town and neighborhood, all I have to say are the ones I have here have so much variety and choices one can really get almost anything they want.
I think the stores probably do vary by town, clientle, and management. (In Port St Joe the Piggly Wiggly was so terrible that I drove the 20 minutes to the *other* Piggly Wiggly in Apalachicola.)

Yes some Publix prices are higher.
For me it's worth it.
I still shop around: Farmer's market, Target, occasionally Harris Teeter and even WalMart and Winn Dixie. But overall, Publix is the best.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
I seem to be different than most people here. I drive past a Publix, Winn Dixie & Sweetbay to go to Walmart for my shopping. Walmart is only 4 miles from my house, but I pass all of them for the convenience of shopping at 1 store and knowing I am getting the lowest price. I have no problem taking the store ads with me for all of the other stores and having them match the other store's price. I also have no problem using coupons. The last time we did our big shopping trip, we walked out with a Walmart cart (larger than average carts) overloaded with food and after having my competitor ads with me and my coupons, we cut our total by more than half. What should have been a $250 shopping trip came out to $98. That may also be because I am an aggressive shopper (aka cheap). I won't buy something just because it is "on sale" because that doesn't always mean cheaper. I compare prices across the board.

I also do my large trips either really early on a Saturday or late at night on a Friday. Walmart is usually a lot more empty at these times and can actually be quieter and more peaceful than Publix. I also know that Walmart doesn't have the best produce, so we usually play the produce section by ear. We get whatever looks the freshest. If nothing looks good, I will occasionally walk up to the produce stand around the corner from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida