Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 37,873 times

Advertisements

Publix is a supermarket that has monopolized every single affluent community in Central Florida which is their main target and who they want to cater. Of course, they can't deny entry to their stores to regular folks who are looking for a bargain because that would be racist, which is something Publix knows extremely well. So they second best thing they can do is, rise the prices. That alone will filter who comes and leave half their paycheck for the same items they can get for less if they only shopped at Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Save-Rite or Walmart Neighborhood Market.

When you ask someone why they shop at Publix they first thing they'll tell you is "Because they have clean aisles or are clean" the second thing is "They're always stocked" and the third thing is "quality"

You don't shop for clean aisles you shop for GOOD PRICES AND VALUE. Publix will always be stocked, their prices are higher than the competition. So who's gonna pay $1.50 for a can Del Monte Sweet Corn when you can get the same for $0.99 at Albertsons or even less at Walmart? Now for "quality" Hello! that same can of Del Monte Sweet Corn or a litter of Pepsi Cola will be of the same quality or better regardless of the place of purchase as long as it has not expired. Now, products that are fairly priced (Walmart) which guarantees quick SKU sellout will be more fresh than something that has been in the warehouse for 2-weeks. So, who got the best quality?

On top of that, Publix's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. For their cashiers you are just a skin color, hair and fancy clothes.

Last edited by The Boring OC; 07-11-2009 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 06:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I go to Farmers Markets now and then but unless you get there early, the veggies and fruits are boiling in the hot Florida sun. I've bought tomatoes that turned bad the next day probably due to the high temp and the sun.
I had wondered that. Ick. In MI are summers are not near as hot obviously but they have Farmers Markets with pies and other baked goods being outside all day. I would not buy them but did pick up some good blueberries. There was some fruit I was going to buy at a local place here outside but was not going home right away and did not feel like having rotting fruit in my car.
I don't like Albertsons much. They have some good fruit but usually have limited amount of items and also seems many are near expiration. Maybe it is just the one I go to

Old 07-12-2009, 07:12 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boring OC View Post
Publix is a supermarket that has monopolized every single affluent community in Central Florida which is their main target and who they want to cater. Of course, they can't deny entry to their stores to regular folks who are looking for a bargain because that would be racist, which is something Publix knows extremely well. So they second best thing they can do is, rise the prices. That alone will filter who comes and leave half their paycheck for the same items they can get for less if they only shopped at Winn-Dixie, Albertsons, Save-Rite or Walmart Neighborhood Market.

When you ask someone why they shop at Publix they first thing they'll tell you is "Because they have clean aisles or are clean" the second thing is "They're always stocked" and the third thing is "quality"

You don't shop for clean aisles you shop for GOOD PRICES AND VALUE. Publix will always be stocked, their prices are higher than the competition. So who's gonna pay $1.50 for a can Del Monte Sweet Corn when you can get the same for $0.99 at Albertsons or even less at Walmart? Now for "quality" Hello! that same can of Del Monte Sweet Corn or a litter of Pepsi Cola will be of the same quality or better regardless of the place of purchase as long as it has not expired. Now, products that are fairly priced (Walmart) which guarantees quick SKU sellout will be more fresh than something that has been in the warehouse for 2-weeks. So, who got the best quality?

On top of that, Publix's customer service leaves a lot to be desired. For their cashiers you are just a skin color, hair and fancy clothes.
It's called a free market economy. A business will charge as much as they can. Clearly you don't see the value in Publix that others do who pay those prices which is fine.

Your logic is very flawed though as there are many stores that sell similar things at much higher price points. Target is more expensive than Wal-Mart. Are they racist? Is Whole Foods racist?

If your store caters to a more affluent population why would you build it in an area that lacks that?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
My dh drinks a splash of cranberry juice every morning. Yesterday, Publix had Welch's frozen cranberry juice concentrate for $1.35. I called dh and he said he'd been buying it elsewhere for $1.80-$1.90. I bought six! Publix also had NJ blueberries in a dry pint @ 3 for $5.00. I had just been to WM where they were $3.00 each. Wherever you shop, I think it's wise to know what things cost so you can take advantage of real savings and not advertising gimmicks.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boring OC View Post

Sounds like a personal issue to me. We have Publix all over the place. We have diversity all over the place in the employees. I've been in them in four counties and any charge of racism is just silly imo. Are you saying the African American and Hispanic employees are racists? The Publix here in Southside Jax have tons of cashiers AA.

I shop for clean isles not just price.

You must not know anything about the business. Prices depend on volume discounts and no company in the world can compete with Walmart. Publix is not a national company it's regional. AND IT'S EXPENSIVE TO SHIP PRODUCT TO FLORIDA. The state is HUGE for a trucker. Several hours topt to bottom. Volume discounts means the more you can buy the cheaper it is. So you tell me, how you expect a FLORIDA GROCERY CHAIN to compete with a WORLDWIDE WALMART.

I dont understand your logic.

The grocery business has NO MARGIN. That means they make very little "profit" on an item and have alot of loss leaders and must turn the merch 1 time every 7 days to stay in the black.

I have never seen any employee be rude in fact they WALK YOU TO WHAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR. And they wheel your crap outside and load it in your car.

You don't like grocery in Florida? LOL TRY PHILLY. You have to duck and navigate like Nascar on your way to the car lolol.

My complaint with Publix is they handle the produce wrong and have bad selection. They soak it and it's yellow and pathetic and wet then they freaking shrink wrap three leaves of say, kale and charge 3.25 for it. Since I moved to Jax the Publix has never had escarole (and several other greens I use)....and I use it so after mentioning it 5 times I shop at Wynn Dixie who always have it and are marginally nicer here. But I'm not shopping for friends just crap I need. That's because that particular Riverside store is in a bohemian neighborhood, Riverside, with a bunch of "former hippies", independent thinkers and bohemian types who have no clue about customer service per se. Patchoulie oil? Ok they know about that crap. So I dont expect that particular store to care.

All the other Publix have escarole so it's just laziness on that particular store's part.

It's a Florida problem with produce.

Other than that, whatever....I go to Wynn Dixie, Target and Whole Foods and Farmer Markets or anywhere. Including Walmart when I'm in Vero. Publix can't even compete with Target pricing, or haven't you noticed. Target is a HUGE NATIONAL COMPANY once again. And the only store that carries Dannon Coffee Yogurt now is good old PUblix and since I eat that every day I go there. Target cut it out and Walmart never had it. Target was 5 cents cheaper yes. Now they dont carry it. I'll pay Publix TYVM.

I didn't read this thread, disclaimer.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-12-2009 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-12-2009, 10:42 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post

RWS edited:

Publix
for water, breads, cold cuts and cheeses, and some unique grocery items
Winn Dixie for meat and produce.
Walmart/SAMS for water, butter, cereal, eggs, milk, frozen veggies, cookies, coffee, tea and other food items.
Whole Foods for produce and some fast takeout, grains in bulk, some specialty items, and some bakery and cheese if I'm splurging. And the filter for my shower head dechlorinating stuff like that...

Yeah, that's about me with the above changes AND

FArmers Market saturday mornings for produce esp in winter

Target when I'm in that shopping center and save time, the prices are reasonable but selection smaller.

No bakery in a grocery store makes me happy, I'm from Philly where we have 100 yr old bakeries so I omit that category here.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post

You must not know anything about the business. Prices depend on volume discounts and no company in the world can compete with Walmart. Publix is not a national company it's regional. AND IT'S EXPENSIVE TO SHIP PRODUCT TO FLORIDA. The state is HUGE for a trucker. Several hours top to bottom. Volume discounts means the more you can buy the cheaper it is. So you tell me, how you expect a FLORIDA GROCERY CHAIN to compete with a WORLDWIDE WALMART.
Though there are many middlebrow items that they actually get a pretty good volume discount on compared to super-premium stores like Whole Foods, Fresh Market, World Market, and they pass it along to consumers. Take tomato sauce and canned tomatoes. My husband strongly prefers Pomi's tomatoes in a box for cooking because they're the best tasting no salt added brand he's found. Publix's price on the Pomi consistently runs $0.50 to $1+ cheaper per box than other places we see it.

We've even found that Publix's prices on many mid-range items to be consistently cheaper than even Walmart, which frequently prices mid-range product surprisingly high in order to offset the rock bottom pricing on the cheap stuff in the flyers they use to get you into the store.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 AM

14 posts, read 42,163 times
Even though I live in Georgia, I love Publix! Their deli, produce and bakery sections are the bestest ones! The one complaint I have, which is not that bad, is about their "buy one get one free" specials at the Florida stores. For example, if the Kelloggs Red Berries cereal is on the BOGOF special, I can get one box and pay just $2 (without the sale it's $3.99). When I visited family in Panama City, I needed a box of Cheerios, so when I saw the cashier ring it up and didn't see a lower price, I asked her why the price was high. She asked me if I live in GA and I said yes. She told me the Florida stores need you to buy both to get the sale. I assume it's because the main headquarters are in Lakeland. I do love the Publix Sabor supermarket in Kissimmee. Since I grew up in the Bronx, it was the first time in over a decade that I saw a HUGE selection of Latin products. On my trip to Disney and Universal, I went there almost every day and bought a lot of Goya brand foods. I wish they can build Sabor stores in Georgia (at least in the Buford Hwy area in Atlanta or Norcross, where there is a large Latino population).

Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
The Publix I go to is not homogeneous in either customer base or employees.

I am mostly loyal to Publix, but I like to shop around and see what's out there.

I grow my own herbs/vegies, I go to the farmer's market, I send my husband to meet the shrimp boat.
Maybe I'm just lucky with the products I buy, but I've been to Winn Dixie, WalMart, Food Lion, and Harris Teeter and Publix beat them all at price, (and I'm sorry, but here, the Winn Dixie's meat and seafood looked kinda yucky.)

Probably my best shopping experience is at Publix. As much time as I spend replenishing our groceries, it's nice to have nice customer service.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:50 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I miss Publix!!! Don't get me wrong, the Lowes Foods and Harris Teeters up here in NC are really nice but really expensive!! I got to Super Wallyworld now but sure do miss certain publix things like their fried chicken, egg salad and their vanilla cakes!! YUMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida