Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times

Advertisements

I can vouche for that-Ichiban Sushi (is the place I like the sushi the best in G-ville)-my ex-husband used to work there-the food is very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
We lived in Gainesville and didn't think that it seemed too "redneck," and we're from L.A. The areas surrounding the town are very rural, though. I even found some good sushi in Gainesville! And there is nothing wrong with the deep south - think of the awesome sweet tea you will be able to drink. I really miss that out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Anything north of Tampa is "southern." It gets worse once you pass Gainesville. Once you reach Columbia County, Suwannee County, and all those surrounding counties-you are in red neck-ville. The outskirts of Jacksonville is the same but in the actual city it isn't that bad...Tallahassee I LOATHE. It's old and another college town (like Gainesville).
I would suggest going further south-like Tampa, Orlando or further south.

Once you get to Gainesville and northward, it gets BETTER. The further north, the better it gets. Atleast for many of us natives. If you want something totally different Central FL and S FL are all yours...

Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM

162 posts, read 658,074 times
Redneck, Bible thumper, hick heaven. Stay as far away as possible!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:07 PM

478 posts, read 1,325,328 times
^^^That offered no insight or anything, just that you are being rude, really.

Where you from Siesta Bay? I hate to have my little preconceived thoughts and opinions about where it might be, but hopefully I'll be wrong about this one, but I have a feeling I wont be.

Or perhaps if you dont like "rednecks, hicks, bible thumpers , you could always go back to where you came from... not trying to be mean, but just a thought I'd throw out there.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:29 PM

187 posts, read 949,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Same with us, and our kids.

I have met a lot of women who are younger than I am (I'm mid-50's) and already grandmas. And sometimes the line separating church and state seems a bit blurry.
However, this is not to say that north Florida is seething with toothless rednecks who are married off at 14.
And not all southern traditions should be considered backward: I very much appreciate the Yes Sir/No Ma'am courtesies, as well as other customs.

Our younger son (born and raised in Denver,Colorado) is at Florida State and has done okay with dating, actually the girls there, from what I have seen, are motivated students who also enjoy a bit of partying and are in no hurry to get hitched.

Where I live, just below Georgia, it appears to me that the good ole boy network might be in for a shakeup, and more progressive attitudes may prevail in the coming years.
Frankly, I welcome this, yet hope that not all regional culture will be lost, merely updated as we continue in the 21st century.
I was thinking about taking you to task on a couple of your points (until I went to your profile) It looks like you stayed in Port St. Joe for a while so I figure you've paid your dues.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 PM

141 posts, read 752,452 times
Please don't come to Florida and ruin it for the rest of us. Some people enjoy Southern hospitality and God-fearing neighbors.

If you absolutely insist on coming, please go to somewhere like Miami so real Floridians don't have to deal with you.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM

187 posts, read 949,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Please don't come to Florida and ruin it for the rest of us. Some people enjoy Southern hospitality and God-fearing neighbors.

If you absolutely insist on coming, please go to somewhere like Miami so real Floridians don't have to deal with you.

Thanks!
Sounds like you practice what you preach Deo Gratias. God-fearing or good ole boy fearing?

Last edited by AAbsolute; 04-20-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: I need to brush up on my language of antiquity

Old 04-20-2009, 06:48 PM

268 posts, read 900,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Anything north of Tampa is "southern." It gets worse once you pass Gainesville. Once you reach Columbia County, Suwannee County, and all those surrounding counties-you are in red neck-ville. The outskirts of Jacksonville is the same but in the actual city it isn't that bad...Tallahassee I LOATHE. It's old and another college town (like Gainesville). I would suggest going further south-like Tampa, Orlando or further south.
This poster is 100% correct. Go to South Florida, much better.... UM is a great university, and if I had kids, which I dont, nor do I want, I'd send them to UM in a heart beat. The diversity your kid will learn in Miami cannot compare to G'ville or Tally. I'm a life-long resident of G'ville and I'll tell ya straight up it is rednecks, liberals, tree huggers, religious freaks and kids, as in college kids. If you're 30+ start medicating, at 40, jump off a bridge. I'm selling all my stuff finally after 43 years of living there.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
It is redneck culture for the majority in all of those cities and 100% redneck soon as you get outside the city limits...
I just moved here from Chicago and my gf from SF and we are getting the eff out. I wouldn't go if you are having doubts, hence you are even asking this...... you will hate it.
Tampa and Miami you should be fine though. If you have seen my posts you wouldn't even wanna hear what is on my gfs mind...
Went to h.s. and university here though not by choice, got out soon as I was done with college, only back here now b/c of economy.
It is definitely more redneck in north florida than even other southern states which are actually just "southern culture" but not redneck, big difference.

If you want to come south for southern stuff I'd recommend Huntsville or Athens over these as they are more southern and less redneck.

Last edited by grapico; 04-20-2009 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM

162 posts, read 658,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
^^^That offered no insight or anything, just that you are being rude, really.

Where you from Siesta Bay? I hate to have my little preconceived thoughts and opinions about where it might be, but hopefully I'll be wrong about this one, but I have a feeling I wont be.

Or perhaps if you dont like "rednecks, hicks, bible thumpers , you could always go back to where you came from... not trying to be mean, but just a thought I'd throw out there.
Scold all the others who called them rednecks and what have you and then we'll chat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida