Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I should have thawed some chicken, but I didn't, so it will be something with ground beef again since I still hadn't frozen all.

DH was NOT happy with last night's dinner offering of baked potatoes but he did like the cherry oatmeal crisp thing I made for dessert!

Is everybody planning their Valentine's meals, is that why we're talking about lasagna?

I let him look at some recipe websites with me last night and pick two appetizers... so we're having a very "manly" Valentine's Day!
He picked bacon wrapped hot dog pieces and fried chicken wings! I don't think I'll do the chicken.. so tell me, what romantic food, if any, would go with bacon-wrapped hot dogs?
You could even shape the meat loaf like a heart.

I think for Valentines Day I will cook some baked scallops and some baked stuffed shrimp with crab in the stuffing (probably put some of the stuffing with the scallops too....(but havent quite figured that out) and cover with Bernaise sauce....I have some colorful cous-cous with spinach and sundried tomatos that I might try as well and have some rice to fall back on. The veggie will probably be spinach as well since I have some in the fridge...that should hold till Saturday.

Now to answer your question to follow the bacon wrapped weiners....??? a manly meal...... prime rib comes to mind or...... home made pizza.... or meat loaf with corn and potatoes.....thats probably the best resolution of the appetizer....be sure to carry over the theme with bacon draped over the meatloaf....you could even have a hot dog in the middle of the meat loaf....so when you slice it you get cross sections of hot dog. The hot dog in the meat loaf is more a joke than a suggestion.....but it would work.

You could even shape the meat loaf in the shape of a heart.

Last edited by elston; 02-12-2009 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: heart shaped meat loaf idea

Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Debsi I haven't done that bacon wrapped hot dog thing in forever but you can also add swiss cheese to it. I used to make those for super bowls when we would have all appetizer days.

Elston can I be your Valentine???? I'll do the dishes!!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Wow, I finally caught up. I got sidetracked yesterday and then with 60MPH wind gusts I lost my satellite. It got knocked off course. Today we are supposed to have 70 MPH wind gusts. Many trees are down. Oh year we lost one of our wind generators last week in the wind. At least the big one is still up and running. crossing fingers.

Food time. My favorite time. Boneless chicken breast is in the fridge. For hubby I will make Italian breaded and fried chicken. Me, hmmm I'm not sure yet. Maybe some ww panko breaded chicken or Caribbean jerk chicken. Soon the hubby and I have to lose some weight together. We each put on about 10 pounds since we stopped working on the house.
I hate winters because we are so inactive. Oh well, we'll get back in about a month.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think for Valentines Day I will cook some baked scallops and some baked stuffed shrimp with crab in the stuffing (probably put some of the stuffing with the scallops too....(but havent quite figured that out) and cover with Bernaise sauce....I have some colorful cous-cous with spinach and sundried tomatos that I might try as well and have some rice to fall back on. The veggie will probably be spinach as well since I have some in the fridge...that should hold till Saturday.

Now to answer your question to follow the bacon wrapped weiners....??? a manly meal...... prime rib comes to mind or...... home made pizza.... or meat loaf with corn and potatoes.....thats probably the best resolution of the appetizer....be sure to carry over the theme with bacon draped over the meatloaf....you could even have a hot dog in the middle of the meat loaf....so when you slice it you get cross sections of hot dog. The hot dog in the meat loaf is more a joke than a suggestion.....but it would work.
That all sounds fab, Elston, but he tells me he doesn't like seafood much. All the romantic recipes on the web seem to have shrimp and scallops in them!
I will think some more about keeping to the all-man theme, but I want to throw something in there for me. I want to do all finger foods and we'll have a V-day picnic either in the yard or the living room depending on the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Debsi I haven't done that bacon wrapped hot dog thing in forever but you can also add swiss cheese to it. I used to make those for super bowls when we would have all appetizer days.
!
Sounds good, cw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Wow, I finally caught up. I got sidetracked yesterday and then with 60MPH wind gusts I lost my satellite. It got knocked off course. Today we are supposed to have 70 MPH wind gusts. Many trees are down. Oh year we lost one of our wind generators last week in the wind. At least the big one is still up and running. crossing fingers.
Wow, poor you, Lisa! I hope you don't have too much damage this time out.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:20 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Elston can I be your Valentine???? I'll do the dishes!!!!
Of course you can be my valentine

U R 2 sweet 2 B 4 Gotten!

(remember the valentine box and the little cut out valentines...... "My heart pines for you" ....with a little heart and a little pine tree instead of the words....

oh remember the valentines sugar candies with the little mottos on them!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:22 AM

I think they are made here in MA Elston...Necco company

Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
I'm in a "food funk"-no clue yet.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 AM

Lacey me to...believe it or not I just sent Mr. Crazy to the store to wander and see what he feels like.
I cooked the rotisserie roast beef last night but with company there wasn't enough leftover to even make soup. They were a hungry bunch!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
I'm picking DH up on my lunch hour.. he works from home.. and we're going to eat/shop at Braum's. Maybe there will be a little steak or something in the market there that will look good for dinner.

I like this plan because I get to make him drop me back off at work and go home and unload the groceries without me.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,794 times
Morning everyone, youngest is finally feeling better. Hopefully he will sleep in his own bed tonight instead of on top of me. Ugh. I feel like I slept on a bed of nails.

Dinner last night was homemade mac and cheese. Nothing special but easy to make.

Tonight for dinner will vegetarian three bean chili.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink