Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Sure you can - go through Ontario. I grew up in southeastern Michigan, and my mom's family all lived in the Syracuse/Rochester area of New York. We'd drive out to see them several times a year, and always went through Ontario. Good highways, and at least at that point (we won't say how many decades ago) the rest stops were quite nice.
Yeah.....the Queen Elizabeth Highway is nice and they have Tim Horton's!! Last time we saw Steve Yzerman (spelling?) and his family at a rest stop. We normally take the Port Huron/Sarnia route.

Dinner tonight is a mix of stuff we have to use up. We'll bake some breaded eggplant and top with mozz and serve with some marinara, and then we have some turkey noodle soup I pulled out of the freezer last night to use up.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:39 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Sure you can - go through Ontario. I grew up in southeastern Michigan, and my mom's family all lived in the Syracuse/Rochester area of New York. We'd drive out to see them several times a year, and always went through Ontario. Good highways, and at least at that point (we won't say how many decades ago) the rest stops were quite nice.
Ah... but now there is a huge hassle at the border... I have to get my passport updated too.... good idea.... but sometimes the bridge into Canada takes a really long time.... all depends on the date....

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Oh thanks for the reminder...I need to update my passport as well. What a shame that the border has gotten so bad. And elston, I am sure your are correct about the people becoming friendlier. It is a different time and different generation now. When we went through Quebec in the mid-70's they didn't even want to wait on us. It was horrible. I would love to go and see it now though!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times
Well the soup last night turned out good. I didn't have enough homemade broth so had to add some store bought. I did stop and picked up some chicken breast. Cut it up and put it in the pan with a little onion, garlic, evoo. Then added my stock, diced potatoes, carrots, mushrooms. Fresh tyme and parsley. Cooked about 45 minutes. Big bowl for DD and me and enought leftover for lunch for both of us plus one serving in the freezer.

DD is home today due to her cold. She was trying to get homework done last night but her head is so stopped up that she was having a hard time thinking. Poor baby. So today her job is rest, eat and finish the homework.

Dinner tonight might be hamburgers w/velveeta. You guys did it to me again. LOL

Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh thanks for the reminder...I need to update my passport as well. What a shame that the border has gotten so bad. And elston, I am sure your are correct about the people becoming friendlier. It is a different time and different generation now. When we went through Quebec in the mid-70's they didn't even want to wait on us. It was horrible. I would love to go and see it now though!
When I was little back in the 1940's we moved to a little town in the Province of Quebec. It was a very "British" town....(it had a history of providing shelter to Loyalists during the American Revolution.) It had become a wealthy tourist town and "The American Club" was the pinnacle of local society.

I remember learning to sing with reverent respect "God Bless The King" standing at rigid attention, in school. (thats how old I am--it was King George). At the time there weren't any French kids in the town or school....they lived outside town and those French families were looked down on and were economically disadvantaged. There is a reason that the English and American's were disliked once the French Canadians came into their own.

I went back to North Hatley several years ago......it is still a beautiful gem of a town...and now it is predominantly French!
I didnt feel a bit of tension or anamosity! You are right.....time heals all wounds.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Depending on the extent of the dental work today I rooting for a good home made hamburger....But I may get tomato soup and grilled cheese...We shall see...Will onion shop regardless..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Depending on the extent of the dental work today I rooting for a good home made hamburger....But I may get tomato soup and grilled cheese...We shall see...Will onion shop regardless..
I read a wonderful article about "caramalized onions" in the paper today and a recipe for converting 5 lbs of yellow onions into a heavenly reduction of unctuous sweetness, for use as a spread or flavoring . It sounded very much as time consuming as making a real dark cajun roux....about 3+ hours of careful cooking and frequent stirring to prevent the ruinous scorching of the savory ambrosia.

Last edited by elston; 02-11-2009 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: word choices

Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I think Cooks Illustrated did a thing on making carmelized onions in your oven in a dutch oven type pot. They still take a long time but it removed the need for all that stirring.

Thanks for sharing all your Quebec stories, everyone, I enjoyed reading them.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I read a wonderful article about "caramalized onions" in the paper today and a recipe for converting 5 lbs of yellow onions into a heavenly reduction of unctuous sweetness, for use as a spread or flavoring . It sounded very much as time consuming as making a real dark cajun roux....about 3+ hours of careful cooking and frequent stirring to prevent the ruinous scorching of the savory ambrosia.
Like an onion jam elston?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I love onions any way ya want to fix them...The ones I will be getting today are those from the strawberry fields...Real sweet and ready for a burger....I think they could be cooked down to but sweet spanish would probably work better for the cooking...The water content of these will be high as they are coming out of the field fresh with green tops attached...May have to make some soup with some of the tops..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink