Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times

Advertisements

Lacey how were your lobster tails?????

Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
I love onions too. Long live the stinking lily.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Sure you can - go through Ontario. I grew up in southeastern Michigan, and my mom's family all lived in the Syracuse/Rochester area of New York. We'd drive out to see them several times a year, and always went through Ontario. Good highways, and at least at that point (we won't say how many decades ago) the rest stops were quite nice.
Where in SE MI did you grow up? I have lived here all my life except the short 5 month stint in NV I just did. I will go back to live there one day, IF I can leave the grandbabies once they come. People say I will not be able to do it. We'll see. It is either that or my husband and I continue our long distance relationship and that stinks too!

Not sure about dinner yet, maybe those burgers. We'll see. Off to Home Depot for supplies to repair my toliet.

Have a Well-seasoned Wednesday!!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:43 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,452,647 times
Dinner tonight is something I've hankdered for the whole time I was sick... Hamburg Shepard's Pie! lol What a thing to have a yen for!
Sometimes I make it with the old way I was brought up having it... creamed corn/milk for the layer between the hamburger/onion mix and the mashies....

Sometimes I make it the creamed corn still there, but I also add peas and a couple packages of the brown gravy, mushroom gravy, onion gravy from McCormick's... yummy!!!!!!

Not sure which way I'll do it today.... we'll see by dinner time though!

Hope everyone's having a wonderful Hump Day!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I see how you talk about me after I go to bed!
Ha! Caught me didn't ya???? LOL I would NEVER!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I think we can all meet in a big hall and we can bring our laptops and chat with each other until we get comfy....just the visual is funny.
That is a great visual!!!!

Dinner tonight I am hoping is going to be a large "Special" from Villa Gargano's resaurant!!! Yum! Must try to talk DH into it though, and he is not much on pizza - likes those meat and 'taters!!

Yay!!! Talked him into it!!!!!!!

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 02-11-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times
Hi Everyone

Beautiful day here 74 It will be back to normal next week though.

Dinner tonight will be shrimp scampi over think spaghetti, & Italian bread.

Hope everyone has a nice afternoon. Check back later. kelsie

Lacey, how did the lobsters turn out?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:31 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Default Help!! Chicken Noodle soup is bland/dry

Ok, fellow foodies, you are the smart ones. I need some advice...

My son-in-law made chicken noodle soup with dumplings (major carb overload-I have never made it but I am sure you are not supposed to do noodles with it are you?) for the first time. It was ok. I don't care for dumplings, but even so, the broth was a bit bland.

I boiled a whole chicken with carrots and onions and parsley for the stock. Then he deboned it and drained the veggies out and put the meat back in. Added celery, and more carrots and onions. Then, he wanted noodles which I thought was different but it was his dish so...

Obviously, they soaked up the broth so he had to add water and ck boullion. He said he put in about four. So, we ate it. Still bland.

Now, we put the leftovers in the fridge and today I was making some for lunch and there is no broth whatsoever! It is all noodles and meat. And did I say bland?

So, to save the rest of it and make a broth for it, what would you suggest I do?

Thanks! I hate to waste it all!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Tonight I'm experimenting. It will be chicken fajitas or enchiladas concocted with a jar of mole verde which I just bought and have no idea what it tastes like. I figured if I make a bunch of sauted veggies, some shredded chicken, and stir some of the stuff into it and wrap in a tortilla...how bad could it be? I have rice and beans too.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Kimba do you have stock or broth? Add that and some water. Also tarragon does awesome things to chicken soup.

Crazy, Kelsie-I par steamed the tails, removed from shells, chilled, chunked. Sauteed them slightly in butter and made alfredo, with a hint of nutmeg, parsley. Yummo!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Ok, fellow foodies, you are the smart ones. I need some advice...

My son-in-law made chicken noodle soup with dumplings (major carb overload-I have never made it but I am sure you are not supposed to do noodles with it are you?) for the first time. It was ok. I don't care for dumplings, but even so, the broth was a bit bland.

I boiled a whole chicken with carrots and onions and parsley for the stock. Then he deboned it and drained the veggies out and put the meat back in. Added celery, and more carrots and onions. Then, he wanted noodles which I thought was different but it was his dish so...

Obviously, they soaked up the broth so he had to add water and ck boullion. He said he put in about four. So, we ate it. Still bland.

Now, we put the leftovers in the fridge and today I was making some for lunch and there is no broth whatsoever! It is all noodles and meat. And did I say bland?

So, to save the rest of it and make a broth for it, what would you suggest I do?

Thanks! I hate to waste it all!

When I make my chicken broth, I boil a whole chicken (the fattier the better), add a tsp of pepper, a good healthy pour of salt, an entire tomato, several carrots, a big onion quartered, several stalks of celery. Cover all with water and reduce down about an inch or so.

I taste it along the way to see if it needs more salt and pepper. The broth comes out rich and tasty. Good luck.

ETA: This is my Grandmother's recipe, no actual measurements, sorry about that. But guaranteed to make ya feel better. LOL I also add garlic and red pepper flakes to give it an added kick.

Last edited by movingtohouston; 02-11-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: added something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink