Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,249,488 times

Advertisements

Kimba, I only use chicken broth and maybe 1/2 c water. I always add dill, for healing power. I use Anci Pepe pasta for my soup, tiny past like Pastena, or Orzo, but they are boiled separately and added to the bowls of soup. The flavor is soooo rich.

Lacey, that sounds so good. I will be sending another news letter over to you later. kelsie

Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
It's best not to store the noodles in the leftovers in things like chicken noodle soup, because they will always absorb your broth. Also, when I make a huge pasta salad with leftovers in mind (i do this a lot in summer), I only add a little dressing the first day for the same reason. Then when I'm ready to eat the next day I add some more of the dressing to my portion only. This way you taste the dressing and don't have way soggy pasta.

I don't like chicken and dumplings because it's way too bland for my taste. I had some when I first moved here to Texas at a restaurant called the Black Eyed Pea. (it's a chain)
My coworkers were soooo excited that Tuesday was chicken and dumpling day that I went with them to try it myself. I was very disappointed but kept my mouth shut and kept trying to add that restaurant black ground pepper dust that has no flavor either.

9,376 posts, read 11,949,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Kimba do you have stock or broth? Add that and some water. Also tarragon does awesome things to chicken soup.
I do have some canned ck broth. Same thing? That is what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure that it would have the chicken-y taste. I will try it tonight.

Thanks!

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
Kimba - If the broth is entirely gone, depending on how "soggy" the noodles are, could you make a layered casserole with the chicken and the noodles to bake in the oven - kind of like a lasagna and add layers of cheese and/or a large cottage cheese mixed with 2 eggs - bake for an hour?? If not, perhaps you could put it all in a bowl, add a couple of eggs, some english peas, sour cream, some shredded cheese - mix pour into greased 9x11 glass dish - sprinkle with bread crumbs, dot with butter - bake for an hour or so.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Like an onion jam elston?
It compared it to an onion marmalade....but it has nothing added other than a small amount of oil and salt to get the onions "sweating"....but it said it was great spread on crostini or crackers or crusty bread....it also describes a pizza with caramelized onions, goat cheese and black olives...or use it as a flavoring base. Smear a little on a sandwich or warm tortilla or stirred into pasta sauces, stews, or a pot of beans. Use it dressed up with fresh rosemary as a sauce for meat....it gives a recipe of rib eye with caramelized onion marmalade (the onions get mixed with sherry vinegar)...it also gives a recipe for potato gratin with carmelized onions and prosciutto.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:54 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,294,175 times
I am a casserole nut! Love em!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:58 AM

Great ideas, everyone!!

Kats-that sounds good, too! Hmmmm. But the noodles are a bit soggy too.

Debsi-You are so right. They did soak it up and they are bigger and soggier too. Still edible, but...

kelsie-dill huh? I love dill. I will try that the next time. What else do you put it in? What is it known to heal? Just general health?

Old 02-11-2009, 11:59 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Kimba - If the broth is entirely gone, depending on how "soggy" the noodles are, could you make a layered casserole with the chicken and the noodles to bake in the oven - kind of like a lasagna and add layers of cheese and/or a large cottage cheese mixed with 2 eggs - bake for an hour?? If not, perhaps you could put it all in a bowl, add a couple of eggs, some english peas, sour cream, some shredded cheese - mix pour into greased 9x11 glass dish - sprinkle with bread crumbs, dot with butter - bake for an hour or so.
Those are both great sounding ideas!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
When I make my chicken broth, I boil a whole chicken (the fattier the better), add a tsp of pepper, a good healthy pour of salt, an entire tomato, several carrots, a big onion quartered, several stalks of celery. Cover all with water and reduce down about an inch or so.

I taste it along the way to see if it needs more salt and pepper. The broth comes out rich and tasty. Good luck.

ETA: This is my Grandmother's recipe, no actual measurements, sorry about that. But guaranteed to make ya feel better. LOL I also add garlic and red pepper flakes to give it an added kick.

Sounds great! Do you drain the veggies from the broth? Or keep it all together? Do you add noodles?

With all these great ideas, I can't wait until I make a batch of it. I am going to concoct the perfect ck soup with all these ideas!!!

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,403 times
Hi all! What a gorgeous spring day, 64 degrees!! HaHa...too bad it's still winter!

I think we're going to order Italian Sub sandwiches from our Pizza restaurant this evening.

I'm doing my grocery shopping this evening and I decided to buy the Lobster Tails that my local supermarket has on sale. I will make them for Valentine's Day. I don't want to eat out on VD because the waiting times are horrendous here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink