Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I read so many of your posts, ie. "mayo" all over the outside of the turkey and I smile, yep thats the way I do it.

I definitely enjoy my kitchen and cooking at home, however, I wouldn't turn an invitation to come to dinner down from any of my foodie friends here.
Am I understanding that you rub mayo on the raw turkey before roasting it? Do you cover or tent it? What are the advantages? Sounds interesting.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Jaxson,

I make mostly soft tacos, but I have a strong weakness for a shredded beef taco in a hard shell. The shell MUST be fresh-fried or there is no point. This taco doesn't exist in Texas except in my kitchen. It's a southern California thing. I never knew how to make Mexican food until I left California and had to learn by necessity, because it is so delicious there, and available all over the place, and CHEAP!

I never buy those "taco bell" shells at the grocery store. More expensive, less tasty, more preservatives, no less work than a soft taco... I really don't see the advantage or the appeal. I also seldom use ground beef for taco filling.

I will, of course, happily eat such tacos when that is what I am served at a friend's house. It's like if you love Godiva chocolate but can still appreciate a Hershey's Kiss.

Last edited by Debsi; 12-10-2008 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Elston, T'giving 14 lb turkey, rub Mayo all over the raw turkey (I brined it overnight), I put fresh herbs under the skin and Bell's poultry seasoning. Put on rack in 325 Convection oven tented for 1 1/2 hrs, chicken broth in the bottom of the roasting pan, basting every 15 mins. Remove the tent after 1 1/2 hrs. continue basting. You do not taste any mayo., it makes it golden brown and succulent. I cook my chickens breast side down, all the juices go to the bottom of the bird.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:35 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Jaxson,

I make mostly soft tacos, but I have a strong weakness for a shredded beef taco in a hard shell. The shell MUST be fresh-fried or there is no point. This taco doesn't exist in Texas except in my kitchen. It's a southern California thing. I never knew how to make Mexican food until I left California and had to learn by necessity, because it is so delicious there, and available all of the place, and CHEAP!

I never buy those "taco bell" shells at the grocery store. More expensive, less tasty, more preservatives, no less work than a soft taco... I really don't see the advantage or the appeal. I also seldom use ground beef for taco filling.

I will, of course, happily eat such tacos when that is what I am served at a friend's house. It's like if you love Godiva chocolate but can still appreciate a Hershey's Kiss.
I hear you on fresh made I use to make my own but we don't eat them as much anymore. We are a split family where some like hard some like soft too. I hate buying hard shells but have for a meal but would love to have home made available but we don't here. Even the one and only Mexican grocery store brings their shells in from Chicago. They don't make or sell tamalas either.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
After catching up with all the new ideas I want one of everything. In the real world we will finish off the aging cabbage stir fry and add a baked sweet potato to it and call it good tonight. Nothing fancy. I see another chili day in the forecast so that will be on the back burner soon.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:07 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
I have chicken tenders defrosting in the fridge. Not sure yet what I am going to do with them.

MM - Dinner sounds wonderful.

Lacey - Congrats on your weight loss. WTG!! How exciting to go back for an even smaller size.

Amber - Congrats on your weight loss too. I know two pounds doesn't sound like a lot, but you had to have worked hard to accomplish that on your already slim self.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the info on rubbing the turkey with mayo.....I believe I will give it a try!

Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,499 times
Hello guys!
I'm back!
After some day where I was ill...I'm here and in a few moments, I'm having dinner!

Tonight..hamburgers

Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,693,361 times
wow! this sound delicious! can you PM me the recipie? can I use a "magic bullet" instead of a standard blender/food processor?? is it a hot or cold soup?
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I like to make a pureed soup out of sweet potatoes or butternut squash, a couple of turnips, and I usually throw in a large regular potato.

It's very good served with garnishes of any or all of the following on the side:

grated cheddar
diced apples
crumbled bacon
green onions
toasted pumpkin seeds or pepitas

Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM

Hello mini mouse.....its funny that you often are having very American sounding suppers......if I was in Italy ..... I would expect to be eating some exotic dish maybe pasta colored with squid ink or veal in some fabulous cheese and creamy sauce or home made pasta tossed with extra virgin oil and freshly grated goat cheese and a salad with fresh herbs and vegetables......You usually are having hamburgers or pizza. LOL Am I right or wrong.

There is nothing wrong with that......it just amuses me. Your diet sounds like what most American teen agers eat; just missing the Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink