Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I read the article but didnt see the recipe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Could this be it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/di...tml?ref=dining

Sounds good. Maybe when I have more time/energy.
Yes, I think bjh nailed it! When I went to paste the link it looked as if I had a dupe for some reason and I deleted one, apparently it takes two for the article/recipe.

Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I really like just opening up the newspaper

Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,259,466 times
Change of plans. Didn't do the meatloaf. DH had taken out 2 HUGE sirloin steaks, so we'll have the ML tomorrow (I hope). I seared them, then threw them in the oven for a bit, they were so big. I overcooked mine a bit. I like them med.rare-rare, but mine was more med.well. It's ok, I lived. I had some leftover steamed baby carrots from the other night, so I cut them in half length-wise, then sauteed them in some butter & olive oil w/some S&P (yum), and we had some canned corn. I think a franjelico sounds good for dessert.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,997 times
Chicken with bitter melon

I took skinless chicken thighs and sauteed them in black bean paste with bitter melon. Bitter melon supposedly has medicinal qualities too.

http://www.healthynerd.com/2006/08/0...e-2-diabetics/

My grandmother use to grow it in her organic vegetable garden so I grew up eating it. You need to blanch the bitter melon first. I quickly "fry" the black bean sauce in oil and add chopped garlic and fresh ginger. The chicken was split in half on the bone with corn starch and soy sauce. I then toss in the chicken with onions and let it cook away. When the chicken is almost cooked through, I toss the bitter melon back in to reheat. I then serve it over steamed rice.

For tomorrow night I will make roasted chicken. I will brine the chicken overnight. I have lately brined all my poultry before roasting. Yum-oh!

Old 01-21-2009, 06:19 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
We had steak and spinach salad. Grilled up some nice pastured beef T-bones and sliced the meat off the bones and into thins strips, served it in a spinach salad with red onion, blue cheese, dried cranberries, mandarin oranges and chopped walnuts.
Next time you make this just give me a few hrs notice and I'll be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Chicken with bitter melon

I took skinless chicken thighs and sauteed them in black bean paste with bitter melon. Bitter melon supposedly has medicinal qualities too.
Thanks for posting that - interesting stuff!

I ended up putting pork ribs in the crockpot with celery, onions, carrots and pineapple w/juice, 5 spice powder, soy, star anise and allspice - cooked for a couple of hours, then pureed the sauce and put it back in for a few hours more. It was really tasty, over rice with some broccoli and mushrooms

Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
Supposed to be a high of 9 degrees tomorrow, with the wind chill as low as -15! So sick of the cold already...

The country chicken casserole was yummy! I had never made it before but it was amazingly easy.

1 can cream of potato soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can sliced carrots
1 can green beans
1 cup milk
2 cans of chunk chicken
a little thyme and pepper

Mix all that together in a 9x13 in. pan, top with a box of prepared stovetop stuffing, and pop it in the oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Mmmm. Added some creole seasoning after.

Umm is there where I fell off the face of Foodie earth??!! This sounds so good!!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,735,633 times
Tonight~ baked cornish hens and homemade navy bean soup. The soup is fairly done, but I'm still letting it simmer a bit...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:13 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Umm is there where I fell off the face of Foodie earth??!! This sounds so good!!
amber be sure to drain the carrots and green beans of their juices. I didn't and checked with RdytoGo afterwards they said yes to drain them.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,169 times
Thanks Jaxs! I will Think this might be dinner tomorrow

Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,379,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yes, I think bjh nailed it! When I went to paste the link it looked as if I had a dupe for some reason and I deleted one, apparently it takes two for the article/recipe.

Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I really like just opening up the newspaper

Yes, let's hope the newspapers don't go the way of the dodo. Hopefully there'll be room for them AND the internet.

That's one of the things I think our local paper does exceptionally well: the food section. I would miss it.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,333,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
What are ranch style (brand) beans....is there an equivelent....I havent seen this brand anywhere I have ever shopped.
Yeah, I realized after I posted it that that ingredient may not be available in every part of the country - I'm sorry about that. We discovered Ranch Style beans when we lived in Texas, and can still get them easily enough in Wisconsin, but I suppose there are corners of the US where such things are hard to find.

They look like the picture here: Ranch Style - ConAgra Foods, if you are like me in needing a visual image to hunt for in the store. We find them in the same aisle with baked beans and other canned legumes.

I wouldn't so much describe them as spicy - maybe seasoned would be a better term. They're certainly not spicy-hot at all, unless you doctor them up.

My bet is that it would be possible to take a regular can of beans and add seasonings that would mimic the Ranch Style flavoring combination. I'll see if the spouse can pinpoint the likely spice combination that would get close; he's really good at that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink