Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
George thank you for your nice words. The fact is I cook for this family on most occasions. 30-40 people sometimes during the holidays. I enjoy doing it. Growing up my Stepdad really made a big deal out of cooking on the holidays. Even if it was just for a couple people he would still have a spread for a large party. Just in case someone stopped by... I get alot of inspiration from those memories. Besides, I came from a small family and I enjoy the company Like here the more the marrier
I fully understand. You should see the Food-A-Paloosa when Thanksgiving rolls around. We all invite those that have no families or just don't ever cook to my sister's house. She has a huge house and everyone can spread out. I think this past year we had over 40 people show up! You could tell who the newcomers were, they brought pre-made items. This is a family that cooks from scratch!!!

My dad was a restaurateur so he make the most incredible turkey, kind of Chinese BBQ style where you hang the bird and roast it. He can do a 20 pound turkey in little over an hour. He also makes our favorite Chinese dishes too.

My brother-in-law (the one married to the hostess) is a Japanese chef and he makes lots of sushi. Funny thing, my sister married him so she wouldn't ever have to learn to cook

My oldest sister is like me, we cook. She makes all the "white trash dishes". Deviled eggs, mash potatoes and last year the best standing rib roast! (I jokingly refer to them as "white trash dishes, so please don't get offended. It's just funny to see Asian-Americans chowing down on deviled eggs!)

Then we have the Cajun friends. They make a HUGE pot of jambalaya and macque choux. They only break out the huge iron dutch oven pot once a year!

The Japanese next door neighbors bring the best homemade cream puffs. Simply heavenly!!!

I am in charge of baking. I will wake up early on Thanksgiving and Christmas and bake batches of fresh dinner rolls. This year I also baked pecan pies, cheesecake, my nephew's favorite chocolate pudding cake and rice crispy treats! I guess Asians love them because it's rice based??? I got the biggest kick one year when my chef father asked me for the recipe! It's on the back of cereal box dad! (although I don't use as much marshmallows so its not so sweet)

I think we have more food than most there should ever be allowed. It is a wonderful time of fellowship, family and thanksgiving. I hope that my niece and nephew will always remember the large family and extended family gathers that we have.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Well at least the big part is gone
now it is all downhill from here...easy sailing... me and my pitcher of water LOL hahaha

Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 PM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Makes me think of the old advertisement for Prudential Insurance....with the Rock of Gibralatar!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:16 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I fully understand. You should see the Food-A-Paloosa when Thanksgiving rolls around. We all invite those that have no families or just don't ever cook to my sister's house. She has a huge house and everyone can spread out. I think this past year we had over 40 people show up! You could tell who the newcomers were, they brought pre-made items. This is a family that cooks from scratch!!!

My dad was a restaurateur so he make the most incredible turkey, kind of Chinese BBQ style where you hang the bird and roast it. He can do a 20 pound turkey in little over an hour. He also makes our favorite Chinese dishes too.

My brother-in-law (the one married to the hostess) is a Japanese chef and he makes lots of sushi. Funny thing, my sister married him so she wouldn't ever have to learn to cook

My oldest sister is like me, we cook. She makes all the "white trash dishes". Deviled eggs, mash potatoes and last year the best standing rib roast! (I jokingly refer to them as "white trash dishes, so please don't get offended. It's just funny to see Asian-Americans chowing down on deviled eggs!)

Then we have the Cajun friends. They make a HUGE pot of jambalaya and macque choux. They only break out the huge iron dutch oven pot once a year!

The Japanese next door neighbors bring the best homemade cream puffs. Simply heavenly!!!

I am in charge of baking. I will wake up early on Thanksgiving and Christmas and bake batches of fresh dinner rolls. This year I also baked pecan pies, cheesecake, my nephew's favorite chocolate pudding cake and rice crispy treats! I guess Asians love them because it's rice based??? I got the biggest kick one year when my chef father asked me for the recipe! It's on the back of cereal box dad! (although I don't use as much marshmallows so its not so sweet)

I think we have more food than most there should ever be allowed. It is a wonderful time of fellowship, family and thanksgiving. I hope that my niece and nephew will always remember the large family and extended family gathers that we have.
That is just lovely--really! All those memories for your family! You cannot make any better memories then the kind you are talking about here George!! Amber is very good at doing this too. They also have all the people with nowhere else to go on the holidays at their home. Thank God for people like you both!! Isn't that what life is suppose to be about----caring for others!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:17 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Makes me think of the old advertisement for Prudential Insurance....with the Rock of Gibralatar!
HECK.... it just might have been! LOL.... now I am just hoping those other stones (found out today there are FOUR others -7,4,2mm, and too small to matter) stay put and don't cause any trouble.....which they say can happen - fingers crossed.... and they also said if I drown them in water they could just break down to nothing and be no problem at all and never have to worry about them. moving at all.... so pitcher of water and a splash of cranberry is my new bff....

Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
skbs don't forget the beer!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:37 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
My kind of girl CrazyW!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Yea, that was kinda played down.... LOL.... but I did say I ate them "frequently"....LOL... I don't think he understands what frequently means... I mean I must be the only person who could crack a can of beets to just kill the munchies.....
You are not alone with the beet issue...I can eat a whole jar....especially pickled whole ones... Even plain ones will do....then it goes down hill....I can snack on a whole can of pork and beans....

Just talked to wife...She was going in the store to get the Cuban bread...Going to be a painful wait...

Old 02-23-2009, 04:26 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
That is just lovely--really! All those memories for your family! You cannot make any better memories then the kind you are talking about here George!! Amber is very good at doing this too. They also have all the people with nowhere else to go on the holidays at their home. Thank God for people like you both!! Isn't that what life is suppose to be about----caring for others!!!
My oldest sister says that we have our ministry via cooking - that we are doing God's work by nourishing and helping others via food. In Chinese (Cantonese), our greeting or hello, literally translated into English is, "have you eaten yet?"

I use to ask my mom as a child, "What will you do if they say no? Will you cook for them?"

My grandmother that just passed away last year at the age of 94, was always concerned whether I was eating properly. She use to always call me up and invite me over for lunch, dinner, a snack, anything in order to feed me! I miss her phone calls.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Wife made it home with Cuban bread...going to have some of that Spanish pork, American cheese, jalapenos, and sweet onions with yellow mustard on the sandwich...for a veggie pickled beets..T-5 and counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink