Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 03:53 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
There's just something about the traditional fried or broiled fish with lots of homemade tartar sauce and a baked potato that I love. They are common all year 'round up here. My favorite thing is to go to a rural supper club for a fish fry. Much as I'd like to go out tonight though, I'll probably put some frozen fish in the oven and make some fried potatoes. Still deciding, hmm
What kind of fish do they use for the traditional fish fry up your way....is that fresh water perch or muskie or is it salt water fish?

Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
What kind of fish do they use for the traditional fish fry up your way....is that fresh water perch or muskie or is it salt water fish?
I was going to ask the same as out here it's walleye, sunnies and pike.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 PM

Butternut smells great-salt/pepper, brown sugar, allspice, smart balance (don't tell Mr. L) all wrapped and been baking slow for awhile.

Last edited by LaceyEx; 11-07-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,963,336 times
I took some frozen black-eyed peas with snaps and boiled them in a pot with two slices of salt pork. Then they cooked and simmered for 40 minutes. I then ate them in a large bowl. Wonderful Friday eating.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:59 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
All of you have out-done yourselves!! Your dinners sound so good! I would love to stop by each house and have a few bites of it all!! Of course then I'd have to "roll" on home! Ha! DH decided to cook up a couple of fresh shrimp he bought tonight to go with the steak---ummmmmmm, so good! Now I have to tidy up the kitchen and I'm ready to relax infront of the tv, with absolutely nothing to watch on all 200 channels! Ha! So I'l fall asleep as usual! Nite all!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 PM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
All of you have out-done yourselves!! Your dinners sound so good! I would love to stop by each house and have a few bites of it all!! Of course then I'd have to "roll" on home! Ha! DH decided to cook up a couple of fresh shrimp he bought tonight to go with the steak---ummmmmmm, so good! Now I have to tidy up the kitchen and I'm ready to relax infront of the tv, with absolutely nothing to watch on all 200 channels! Ha! So I'l fall asleep as usual! Nite all!
Aint it the truth about all the channels and nothing to watch! I watch CNN and then the Chris Matthews and Keith Oberman and Rachel Maddow news commentary shows. Thats about it.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I took some frozen black-eyed peas with snaps and boiled them in a pot with two slices of salt pork. Then they cooked and simmered for 40 minutes. I then ate them in a large bowl. Wonderful Friday eating.
That is good eating any day of the week. I do like mine with snaps. Snaps are a bone of contention between me and my mother. She wants them to fill for more peas but I want the flavor they add. My pea patch gets picked my way. What she does not see on my dinner table never hurts anyone. Now I know what the ham hock is doing in the freezer. Peas one day soon.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
Sloppy joe's and tater tots! My son's favorite. DH is in Vegas and daughter is at Girl Scouts, so mom and son are going to eat dinner together and watch "Journey to the Center of the Earth" together!
Yum. I haven't had Tater Tots in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
DH decided to cook up a couple of fresh shrimp he bought tonight to go with the steak---ummmmmmm, so good! Now I have to tidy up the kitchen and I'm ready to relax infront of the tv, with absolutely nothing to watch on all 200 channels! Ha! So I'l fall asleep as usual! Nite all!
Sounds like a great dinner. One of my favorites. Hmm... maybe tomorrow.
My hubby just told me there's a "chick" flick on Lifetime at 9:00pm(my time). I know what you mean about TV. I like the home shows and of course cooking, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Aint it the truth about all the channels and nothing to watch! I watch CNN and then the Chris Matthews and Keith Oberman and Rachel Maddow news commentary shows. Thats about it.
That's just too depressing. My dh watches news and the stock market throughout the "whole" day. I'm happy when the stock market closes at 4pm.
Night time we try to find comedies but that's getting really hard.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 PM

Oh Cyn-how true-the only good thing about TV is I fall asleep fast-and today I'm tired and ready.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Tonight should be interesting; pork sausages I purchased at the farmer's market, and home made sauerkraut that I've been fermenting for a week on the kitchen counter. First time making kraut, and it's got me a little nervous.
I got a few folks asking about the home made sauerkraut in reputation comments; so here's the scoop.

The process is very simple. Finely chop cabbage, layer it with kosher salt, pack it down. You need to do this in something that you can seal with a bag of water. You do a layer of cabbage, put some salt on it, pack it down - repeat until you get near the top or use all the cabbage, then set a bag of water on top to seal it in such a way that gas can escape, but the surface is not exposed to air. You don't add any liquid; the salt pulls it out of the cabbage and it makes a brine. Let it ferment for at least a week - tada, sauerkraut.

Mine was...just OK. I think I used way too much salt, and I think it could have fermented longer. I will try it again for sure.

On the other hand - I also made a really nice gratin out of some Yukon gold potatoes that were on the verge of being composted. They looked OK once they were peeled, and still smelled good - so I sliced 'em thin on my mandoline, layered them with mushrooms and a parmesan cheese that I found - it's made in Wisconsin, but it's a traditional Italian recipe. It's not as good (or old) as some of the imports, but the price is great (about $6 a wedge compared to $18 for a really good Italian) and it's perfect in my risottos; I love the stuff....oh, and of course some heavy cream, salt and chives. Holy cow it turned out nice. Not exactly diet food - but nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink