Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The only worry I have about food is that I have not prepared enough food or choices when we are having guests.
After 32 years, I'm still nervous cooking for my in-laws - their religion (Seventh Day Adventist) has a lot of dietary restrictions and DH's parents strictly adhere to them. Not just vegan, but also no vinegar, pepper, spices, little sugar, etc.

I always end up stewing about what to fix for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
After 32 years, I'm still nervous cooking for my in-laws - their religion (Seventh Day Adventist) has a lot of dietary restrictions and DH's parents strictly adhere to them. Not just vegan, but also no vinegar, pepper, spices, little sugar, etc.

I worked with several people who were SDA and never noticed them with dietary restrictions beyond not eating pork or shellfish, and abstaining from anything with alcohol or caffeine. In fact, one liked Tabasco sauce on his eggs. Many SDA's are voluntarily vegetarian, as the church recommends it, but doesn't require it.

After reading about your in laws, I started to wonder about their 'religious' restrictions. And as far as I can find, there's no SDA rules prohibiting vinegar, pepper, spices or sugar.

I'm not posting this information to hassle you, as I think making your in laws comfortable is a wonderful thing to do. But if someone else reads this, I don't want them to thing that your in-laws preference for bland food is a religious requirement.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:56 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen
My primary concern is what is the pesticide, insecticide, fungicide, and herbicide load in the fruits and vegetables that I purchase.
Indeed and Im concerned about all the garbage in food now!!

CARRAGEENAN for one!!!!!

Quite bad and shoould be avoided!

http://www.prevention.com/food/healt...-ban-your-diet

Old 10-11-2013, 12:02 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,747,744 times
Strange that the instructions for insecticide applied to fruit specifically says it must be
re-applied after a rain.

If a rain can render an insecticide useless, I'm not that concerned.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:36 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Indeed and Im concerned about all the garbage in food now!!

CARRAGEENAN for one!!!!!

Quite bad and shoould be avoided!

Carrageenan: The Natural Ingredient You Should Ban from Your Diet - Prevention.com

now i thought carrageenan was seaweed... and seaweed/kelp is free-range, organic, locally grown (its local somewhere)
no anti biotics, no growth hormones, ....
geeez, i was just getting use to smoked seaweed-was going to sell it for smoked weed/jerky

Old 10-11-2013, 04:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post

wow, I know 7th Day Adventists are vegetarians, but I didn't know about the rest. It would be very hard to cook for them, I am sure. When my husband was in college (almost 60 years ago) he and 9 of his friends lived with a lady that took in college boys, she was 7 day adventist. Can you imagine a bunch or 18-21 year old guys, who enjoyed a party now and then and had been raised thinking meat and beer were the 2 staples in life, having a 7 day Adventists cook for them. Needless to say, all 10 lasted exactly 1 semester.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I worked with several people who were SDA and never noticed them with dietary restrictions beyond not eating pork or shellfish, and abstaining from anything with alcohol or caffeine. In fact, one liked Tabasco sauce on his eggs. Many SDA's are voluntarily vegetarian, as the church recommends it, but doesn't require it.

After reading about your in laws, I started to wonder about their 'religious' restrictions. And as far as I can find, there's no SDA rules prohibiting vinegar, pepper, spices or sugar.

I'm not posting this information to hassle you, as I think making your in laws comfortable is a wonderful thing to do. But if someone else reads this, I don't want them to thing that your in-laws preference for bland food is a religious requirement.
Like so many religions, even Lutheran, it probably depends on the region and the strictness. I did know most are vegetarians, but the rest I didn't know. Maybe in the mid west and closer to the PA area they are a little stricter. The experience I have had and spoiled brat had was in So California.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Some of us grew up without ever hearing about any of this stuff and we probably even ate food that should have been tossed, but we are alive today and well.
Perhaps true, Nita, (although I don't think we were fed food that should have been discarded due to spoiling, if that's what you're referencing & I don't think anyone should), but you must recognize that food was far cleaner 30-yrs ago, some have stronger constitutions than others & some have adverse reactions to some or many foods/drinks/food additives, etc. You sound like someone who doesn't suffer these issues (very lucky, indeed), therefore, doesn't need to be careful.

Honestly, if I could eat a 99-cent can of soup or a cheap hotdog on a white bun, drink instant coffee & soda, etc. & save a pile of $ in the process, I'd do so. But, not only would I feel like a car hit me, I'd have a nice, blotchy, itchy face rash for 1-2 wks & a rip roaring headache for a few days. No thanks, I'll just eat as much as I can sans additives of any sort.

Quote:
Too many people do too much reading and look for the 1/2 empty glass. Research is one thing, buying into too much hype is another.
Sure there are some who obsess on anything. But, again... research because one is ill from foods & is attempting to find out why & what to avoid, isn't paranoid or negative. They're smart in wanting to take the path of their own health & well being into their own hands. You don't need to do so, obviously, but consider that there are many of us who do need to be concerned because simple off-the-shelf 'foods' make us feel like we're very, very ill.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:16 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
now i thought carrageenan was seaweed...
I believe it is but NOT EVERYTHING IN NATURE IS GOOD TO EAT!!

This stuff can increase risk of cancer,it can cause stomach Ulsers,etc...........

It shouldnt be in anything people consume!! (toothpastes,etc))

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
I worry most about restaurant cleanliness and the hygiene of the people handling my food when I eat out. I have a very sensitive stomach and I can't tell you how many times I get an upset stomach after eating out. I spend a lot for that food! I'd like to hold onto it a little bit longer! (Gross, huh?) I love eating out, though.
Isn't it maddening?! To address your first point, I have had several chef friends. All were finicky but, one never ate out, no matter the caliber of restaurant, because he talked about 'inevitable biologicals' in food... hot kitchens causing sweating 'n dripping, sneezing/coughing, bacteria transfer from surface to surface. Yikes... I haven't eaten out much since he told me that 20-yrs ago.

In addition to a very sensitive stomach like you, we've also had exactly the same problems with food poisoning symptoms. The day we moved to Denver we had a gnarly bona fide case (28 people got ill at the restaurant we visited & we continued to be ill regularly anytime we ate anything for SIX months... it was one of the few times I reported it to the restaurant (who promptly had their lawyer & the Dept of Health contact us) & followed through to the end, because we were both so ill, we slept on the floor of the bathroom, him upstairs, me downstairs, for 2-days.) We opted not to take a 'small settlement' as they were not only hostile & rude through the whole process, but wanted us to sign releases not to discuss it. Oh, bloody well fudge off, then & take your 'small settlement' with you.

Now, 1-yr later, we've just gotten back to 100% & anytime he suggests we eat out, I groan & decline 99% of the time, of course after screeching 'How dare you!!!' & running for the hills. If he does convince me to go, I'll only eat steak & a baked potato (no salads that waiters scoop with hands from a large common bowl, no sauces of any kind), because I can handle it with no symptoms. I'd rather just have my own well-prepared, clean food from my own kitchen.

Quote:
I also don't cook fish at home anymore. The one time I cooked tilapia, I darned near killed my husband and myself with food poisoning.
Another for me. My diet normally consisted of fish, but for 1/2-dozen years now, every time I eat fish prepared in anyway, I'm ill for 2-days. Finally, I just gave it up. Someone mentioned I could have developed an allergy to fish... but, it's disappointing, because it was the only 'meat' I used to eat. Poultry & eggs make me ill with flu like symptoms every time I eat them, so I avoid them. I don't eat the pork or lamb, so that leaves beef, which makes me nauseous 1 in 4 times. Not sure if it's true, but someone suggested trying deer, elk, etc., as perhaps they're cleaner. I'd welcome comments from anyone who has tried it & felt better.

Still... no fair! What is happening to us?! I'm so jealous of those who write they buy tinned food for 19-cents/can or processed junk & sandwiches & are fine. They think we're finicky, paranoid, crazy, but I doubt they'd trade places with us, gastronomically. Lastly, I eat 1/2 of what most people eat & it costs me twice what most pay for food, because everything has to be organic & unprocessed.

So cut us some slack, finger pointers. We'd like to be like you, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink