Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 10:39 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing a common thread here--some others who can't stand watermelon also hate honeydew melons but love cantaloupe. That's me too. If it get stuck with a fruit salad with watermelon and honeydew, there isn't much left to actually eat.

I also do not like oranges but love the juice--someone else has this strange preference. I don't know what any of it means but I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:42 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,912,890 times
I hate watermelon.
Always have.
Love Honeydew, and cantalope, Hate watermelon
Watermelon flavord stuff too.
You are not alone.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:48 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the best thing there is. Mandatory for the 4th of July and an essential part of almost any summer outside meal. Juicy and good, hits the spot.

I HATE WATERMELON. In all my life I was alone in my dislike for this summertime necessity. Then I found an uncle who hated it. Really hated it, would not eat it. Just like me.

Why do some people love it so much? Why do some (only one person now? since my uncle passed away) despise it, can't even eat a single mouthful off the stuff? Is it genetic? It doesn't taste good to me and it has a rough mushy texture and it's watery. Now cantaloupe is another story.

If it actually tasted good, I'd be right there, spitting out the seeds, juice running down my face. Is there another person who hates the stuff?

I like watermelon, but only if it's cold.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:15 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,052,740 times
Love it, but it has to be firm and just a teeny bit on the non-sweet side, like right before the sugars start to break down.

My favorite thing to do with it actually, is to juice it, rind and all (no skin, though). My recipe is 2/3 watermelon, 1/3 cucumber and a pinch of sea salt. Drink ice cold.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,835,302 times
The seedless versions do not taste as good as the seeded ones.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
I love watermelon. I can't wait for the season to start so I can find the perfect one, take it home, cut it into chunks, and put it in my red container in the fridge. IMO, there's nothing better on a hot day.

I also like cantaloupe, but I'm not that fond of honeydew, so I get what the OP's saying. Thankfully, there's something for everyone.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Watermelon is a diuretic. And it's high on the Glycemic Index. So, you can end up dehydrated and hypoglycemic after eating it. Dehydration and Hypoglycemia are particularly dangerous in hot weather. Maybe this is why I associate eating Watermelon with feeling really bad.

The stickyness of the juice is no fun, either. There are better ways of getting your Lycopene (such as the glorious Tomato).

That said, when we get a watermelon, I cut it up, segregating the deeply-colored flesh into one container, and the green/white/pale-pink rinds in another. Family members who are less sugar-sensitive than am I can eat the colored part of the melon. That said, the rinds are crunchy and wonderful in salads, if you know how to dice (or know how to make your food processor do that for you).

Anyway, Cantaloupes are Manna from Heaven, IMHO, and I can eat a whole one, the very second I get home from the gym.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Watermelon is a diuretic. And it's high on the Glycemic Index. So, you can end up dehydrated and hypoglycemic after eating it. Dehydration and Hypoglycemia are particularly dangerous in hot weather. Maybe this is why I associate eating Watermelon with feeling really bad.

The stickyness of the juice is no fun, either. There are better ways of getting your Lycopene (such as the glorious Tomato).

That said, when we get a watermelon, I cut it up, segregating the deeply-colored flesh into one container, and the green/white/pale-pink rinds in another. Family members who are less sugar-sensitive than am I can eat the colored part of the melon. That said, the rinds are crunchy and wonderful in salads, if you know how to dice (or know how to make your food processor do that for you).

Anyway, Cantaloupes are Manna from Heaven, IMHO, and I can eat a whole one, the very second I get home from the gym.

I must be missing the "stickiness," but the glycemic index, for those who are interested, isn't much higher in watermelon (72) than in cantaloupe (65). In any event, their glycemic loads (a much better way of evaluating the effect) are identical--4.

Whether one likes watermelon or not is one thing. Underrating its nutritional value is something else. Sounds like a lot of Atkins' "carrots are bad for you" hooey.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:21 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
OMG!!!!

HATE Watermelon. Thanks for the post... I really though I was the only one.
Sure doesn't taste like the watermelon Jolly Rancher, that's for damn sure.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,826 times
I'd eat it if I were forced at gun /knife point, but I don't hate it. Haha DH hates it more than I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink