Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

Try your cast iron skillet out on an Induction Burner.

Amazon.com: Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop, Black: Electric Countertop Burners: Kitchen & Dining

I just tried this one out this morning. Bacon was sizzling in lees than 30 seconds!

PS. I have no connection to Amazon at al. Look at other places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 09:38 AM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Cleaning cast iron is easy. If something has burned onto it, put an inch or two of water in the pan and set it on a high burner until it boils. The funk easily come off. If you just have a build up of old grease, pour salt in the pan and scrub it around. It gets rid of the old stuff without stripping the seasoning. Don't use soap. It will remove the seasoning and get into the pores of the metal.

If you do end up reseasoning, lard works best...at least for me. Heat the pan to 200 degrees or so, then wipe a thin layer of lard all over inside and out. Wiping it on the outside helps protect the pan from rusting. Be sure to get the pan's handle before closing the oven door. I put it in for 75 minutes. The first fifteen are the smoky minutes, the last sixty are to ensure a good carbonization. When times up, let it cool off in the oven. Wipe a thin layer of oil on it and it's good to go.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:10 AM

922 posts, read 1,112,158 times
Cleaning cast iron is easy. If something has burned onto it, put an inch or two of water in the pan and set it on a high burner until it boils. The funk easily come off. If you just have a build up of old grease, pour salt in the pan and scrub it around. It gets rid of the old stuff without stripping the seasoning. Don't use soap. It will remove the seasoning and get into the pores of the metal.

^^^This! Do not EVER use soap on cast iron, it ruins it! I use kosher salt to scrub gunk on mine, it cleans up very easily. My cast iron also makes the best skillet hamburgers, it's my favorite thing to make in it

Old 04-21-2015, 10:47 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,213,531 times
This piece has some good information on a lot of the myths about cast iron, it's really not hard to work with at all. This one has some good info on seasoning, although almst any oil will work (though some work better than others).

I clean it by putting a few drops of detergent and warm water into the pan, then scrub it with a steel scrubbie. It cleans it quickly and I almost never have to re-season my pans (I only have to do it after camping trips where I've used them directly on a fire).

What is more important than your initial seasoning is using it a lot. That's what really builds up a good finish on it, but it takes time and use. I use my cast iron to roast vegetables a few times a week. I just wipe the inside with EVOO, pre-heat it for 20-30 minutes in a 450 degree oven, and then throw in the vegetables to cook for 15 minutes or so. I'm basically seasoning the pan every time I do this, so the finishes I have on mine are bulletproof.

In general I don't worry about the finishes on them that much. Cast iron pans are workhorses, meant to be used and abused. Even if you do damage the seasoning it's a simple matter to restore it (unlike with teflon pans, which you need to throw out if you damage the finish).

Old 04-21-2015, 10:57 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Turn the lid for your skillet upside down over the skillet and fry bacon to season it as you go along.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:57 AM

237 posts, read 499,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
...because cast-iron skillets are *trendy* now.
Cast iron skillets have been ubiquitous cooking vessels for several centuries, making them the polar opposite of trendy.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:02 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
^^^This! Do not EVER use soap on cast iron, it ruins it! I use kosher salt to scrub gunk on mine, it cleans up very easily. My cast iron also makes the best skillet hamburgers, it's my favorite thing to make in it
Speaking of cast iron skillet hamburgers, Cook's Country tested and recommended this for frying burgers:

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SGP3-P...odge+cast+iron

Actually, this was the second-highest rated one....the highest rated one was much more expensive, but just a big larger....the Lodge performed just as well, they said. Some others had "bumps" that weren't deep enough to hold the burgers above the grease, but the Lodge and the highest rated one did (can't remember what brand it was).

I've been coveting one of these since their review, but haven't sprung for it yet.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Steakburgers.

We buy ground strip teak from Wegmans (a treat). Cook in hot cast iron skillit using a cast iron press. Just lay the press on the burgers (use a pice of foil so you dont put raw meat juice from press on cooked meat after turning, or turn meat one extra time to cook off raw juice...), don't press hard. Cook and turn when ready. Replace press, reduce heat, and finish.

I dont like wegmans vacuum packed ground meat as it is too dense. I like my fround meat loose...

Great!

Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 PM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats

This is a really informative article about cast iron by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt from The Food Lab.

I don't use mine nearly enough, but love steaks cooked in it. I will often clean it by scraping whatver fat/gunk is in it following cooking, then scrub it with kosher salt and some olive oil, and a paper towel.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:12 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,913 times
I got the shower cap Saran Wrap things for the smoke detector! Pan is oiled and back in oven. Here's hoping the alarm does not go off again in 3.....2......

Now, another question. OK worst case scenario if it's not seasoned right: 1) will rust? 2) will stick? 3) will not taste good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink