Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 02:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times

Advertisements

"may have" is the operative term here but still it highly suggests the illness was caused by improperly prepared food. Of course the people at the conference didn't prepare the food--it was the facility or caterer. Still it must have been very upsetting for this to happen to these people as it would be for anybody.

More Than 100 People May Have Gotten Food Poisoning At A Food Safety Conference | ThinkProgress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 05:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
that would be ironic,,

maybe they are too clean, dont have any defenses !!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:03 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Default Food poisoning fast food

Seeing as fast food is quite a popular subject here in the food and drink section, has anyone ever gotten sick from eating at a fast food place? Sick as in major food poisoning.

I'm knocking on wood, but in all my life I have never gotten sick from eating at any fast food place. I'm talking about national chains like McDonald's, KFC, Jack in the Box, etc. etc. Even certain regional fast food places, I've never gotten sick.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
You technically cannot say you "NEVER" have gotton sick becasue that is saying YOU WONT EVER GET SICK!! (Which you cannot possibly know)

Hopefully you wont!! (Yes knocking on wood is good (Especially after using that word (You dont wanna Jinx things)))

Old 03-23-2015, 11:11 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I don't really eat much fast food, but the one place I have gotten sick was Chipotle. However, as an ER doctor, I can tell you to go ahead and avoid Jack in the Box. And that one fish place Long John something or other. That seems to be the two places I keep hearing about the most.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:19 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Seeing as fast food is quite a popular subject here in the food and drink section, has anyone ever gotten sick from eating at a fast food place? Sick as in major food poisoning.
I'd bet the odds of food poisoning at a national fast-food chain are far less than at a mom-and-pop place. Most big-name franchises have strict practices in place and train their employees to observe them. They monitor their food storage and cooking temps, and they've got it down to a science how long to keep food before discarding.

In the last 15 years, my family has suffered 3 cases of likely food poisoning: 2 were at mom-and-pop restaurants, 1 was at a potluck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And that one fish place Long John something or other.
Fish is always iffy, whether high-end or low-end.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:16 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
I've never had food poisoning at all, actually.

Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,765,230 times
I was in a reputable bakers some time ago.... their cakes and pies are lovely.. and they either use tongs or gloves for lifting food but then I glanced in the back there there was one girl biting her nails and touching pies from the oven and another was scratching her head and touching food out of sight of the customers with no tongs or gloves.. so we dont know what were eathing..

Old 03-24-2015, 05:02 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
how many millions of people everyday, go to fast food places, grab the handle of the entrance door to open,,,,then proceeds to eat the food,,

on that handle,,being handled so much ,,surely has flu germs, fecal matter, you name it

then many sit inside at tables, tables that get washed by wet rags that spread germs from one table to another,,,
people have sneezed all over these tables and chairs,,,and again,,fecal matter everywhere,,
and this is all before your food is being served..

I believe the drive thrus are much more hygienic

im no germ a phobe ....but the older I get I notice these lttle things,,

I was at a salad bar the other day ...a mother was there with two young teens and one of the young teens was coughing/hacking all over the offerings , barely covering his mouth,, (below the sneeze guard)

I looked at the mother dropped my plate and walked away ,,,I was going to suggest to teach her kids not to cough on foods,,,but ,,I don't think it would have mattered..
I go back to my booth,,,and watch other adults use that salad bar,,grabbing the offerings the kid coughed all over

think about the millions/billions of meals a week,,,,we eat,,,overall we are actually very lucky,,,,there isn't more sickness

ive got more faith in the foods because of safeguards/sanitation cooking standards in place,, (many places you cant even get a rare burger anymore,,they HAVE to cook it 160 degrees)
and if people get sick,,,it can kill a business

I know the haccp/sanitation strict standards we use in the grocery business,,,its similar in the food business I also look for cerificates of servsafe posted - most places require their personnel to go thru these sanitation food handling safety classes

as someone stated,,,, for some reason I seem to have bad luck with seafood,,
one of the worst was at applebee's a fried haddock sandwich.... but then again,,,it could be a 100 other items,, the protein always gets blamed,,,i did have a salad,,

Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You technically cannot say you "NEVER" have gotton sick becasue that is saying YOU WONT EVER GET SICK!! (Which you cannot possibly know)
Huh? Yes, S_Guy can say he has never gotten sick, because that is past tense. It's only referring to past instances.

He can't claim that he has never and will never get sick ... but he didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink