Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,452,262 times

Advertisements

I agree with adding fruit and small desserts - something sweet to round out the savory items you have planned. And perhaps some sparkling cider should there be anyone who doesn't wish to drink (or is a designated driver). It looks like alcohol for a midnight toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:17 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Another vote for meatballs (the teriyaki and chili-cranberry sauce ideas sound yummy!). Protein is a lot more effective at slowing the effects of alcohol than carbs, so I think something like that is better than more breads or crackers. If you're serving beer and/or white wine, how about bowls of mixed, spiced nuts? You can find lots of recipes online. Most involve tossing butter and herbs in a pan with the nuts. I would also add a fruit plate--esp. juicy, tangy fruit like orange and pineapple slices--as a nice palate cleanser after heavy, savory foods. I think dessert should keep with the finger food theme. You could do brownie bites, cannoli, cream puffs, cheesecake bites, lemon bars, or tartlets.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
I would be more concerned with the quantity of food than the number of dishes. Fourteen people can eat a lot of food over an extended period of time. If you have a local Costco or similar - you can pick up some great platters there. Including platters of pinwheel sandwiches. It also sells "party size" packages of frozen mini quiches - spanakopita - mini Mexican treats - mini desserts - etc. One thing I like about the frozen apps is most cook up pretty fast. So you can keep them frozen - and then make several batches over the course of the evening as needed. And - if you have leftovers - they won't spoil. Costco can be cheaper than making things yourself from scratch.

My personal favorite is shrimp platters. Costco sells those too.

I am also a fan of cheese. Pick 3 or 4 - and serve with fruit (like grapes).

I also like mini breads/toasts with smoked salmon - a cream cheese type of spread - and some fresh dill. This is a favorite recipe of mine for an appetizer dish like this:

SALMON ROULADE ON PUMPERNICKEL TOAST recipe | Epicurious.com

But it takes a reasonable amount of time to make - and should be refrigerated over night before serving. And your party is tomorrow!

Don't forget things like crackers/bread. And plates/glasses/utensils (I would use disposables for a big group like that).

If most people will be doing most of their eating standing up - I would favor things that are bite-size that can be eaten with your hands that don't drip. Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'd add some small rolls or croissants, and sliced cheese and ham or turkey breast, so people can make little sandwiches if they're still hungry.

My sister always does meals that are a bunch of little appetizers and a veggie platter...we always stop for dinner before we go to one of her meals, because we know we'll be leaving late and hungry and not many places will be open.
We used to go to an annual appetizer/dessert pot luck holiday party like that - and always left hungry because we waited more than 10 minutes to hit the food table. By the time we got to the food table - it looked like a swarm of locusts had demolished it. At some point - we just stopped going to the party. It's one thing to have an old-fashioned cocktail party at cocktail time with cocktail party appetizers - another to have a full evening of eating using appetizers.

FWIW - I honestly can't say enough good things about using Costco for a larger event like this. Especially on short notice (I'm not sure how much food the OP had prepared when she posted her menu today). We went to a family wedding in Michigan last year. And our present to the parents of the bride (BIL and SIL) was doing all the food for a large family "stop by when you want to have brunch" the day after the wedding. We hit the local Costco there and stocked up. Everything was reasonably priced and delicious. And the only necessary utensils to prepare the whole spread were a couple of knives to slice things like bagels and cheese. Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
Aside from not wanting your guests to leave your house hungry, it is reasonable to assume that a NYE party will involve at least some level of alcohol consumption, so you definitely want to make sure to have enough food.

I like the idea of adding meatballs, and if you're up for one more suggestion, mini caprese skewers. I make these at nearly every party I throw (or bring them to every party I attend where I'm asked to bring something), and they're always demolished. I use marinated mozzarella balls (marinated is key), cut in half, the smallest grape or cherry tomatoes I can find, and lots of fresh basil. Put half a mozzarella ball, a good-size leaf of basil (folded up a bit) and a tomato on a toothpick. Repeat approximately 500 times (I kid, but...the process takes awhile, depending on how many you make).

They're great for parties like this, where people will presumably be mingling and socializing - an easy finger food that looks festive and tastes delicious.
I sometimes make those mini caprese skewers. Costco often has mini marinated mozzarella balls - about the size of a grape/cherry tomato - and I don't even cut the balls in half. They're yummy. Fresh garden grown basil can be an issue now in the middle of the winter. And fresh basil can be a bit pricey. Also - those things aren't stand up finger food IMO - because they drip. Guess their suitability for the OP would depend on the OP's floor coverings. Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
This.

I made teriyaki meatballs in the crockpot for Christmas. And I cut up a fresh pineapple to serve on the side with them. They were a hit much to the dismay of my SIL who had the party at her house this year. Her ritz cracker cheese offerings were hardly touched.

My wife made mini crab and spinach quiches with a remoulade sauce. Another winner.

Along with the drinks OP you'll be fine.
What was on the Ritz crackers? Hard to go wrong with cream cheese and pepper jelly in my part of the world this time of year . Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 03:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
I am hosting for new years this year. We usually have a big dinner. But this year I want to try something different for food. I would like to do a full menu of appetizers. There will be 14 guests.

So far this is whats on the menu:
Buffalo chicken pinwheels
italian sub pinwheels
lil weenies wrapped in bacon
spanekopitas
mini empanadas
broccoli cheese dip
spinach dip
vegetable platter
cheese platter

I am concerned that although there will different types of things it will not be enough or filling. Most of our guest will be arriving around 8:30pm. and will be leaving pretty late, I'd hate for people to leave my house hungry.

Any other suggestions?
Search for "Trishas Southern Kitchen" *it might be Country instead of Southern* and check out the program on Food Network/Cooking Channel where she made Chicken Salad in Endive leaves and Sausage Cheddar Drop Biscuits.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A friend of mine dumps Heinz chili sauce and cranberry sauce in with frozen store meatballs. It's one of the better appetizer cheats I've run across for meatballs.
If that is one of the better ones - I'd hate to know the worst. That honestly sounds disgusting to me (don't tell your friend I said so ). Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheetah123 View Post
This sounds yummy.

yes, there will be drinking, i want to make sure there is more than enough food
Just some extra words of advice about a NYE party. Not specific to you - but in general to everyone. Don't know how old you are. But you and your friends are almost certainly a fair amount younger than we are (almost everyone here except on the Retirement Forum is). Many younger people don't drink a whole lot that often these days. And don't know their limits when they do. You should have someone in charge of the "bar" if you think you might have people over who might drink a little or a lot too much. Someone who can kind of monitor what people are consuming. You should also have contact info for cabs (including Tipsy Taxis which are available in many areas) - Uber - etc. Just in case some of your guests get smashed and aren't safe to drive home. If some guests can't get home safely in some way/shape/form - let them crash in your guest room - on your sofa - even on the floor. Don't let them drive home drunk.

There is no type or quantity of food that will make a person who has consumed enough alcohol to become an unsafe driver a safe driver. Also - DUI limits are pretty low in many states today. The equivalent of a couple of beers or so. DUIs can be super expensive (in a lot of ways). Even if you're not in an accident. And G-d forbid you're in an accident.

My husband and I are older - and sometimes drink a fair amount. But we don't drive after drinking - even a little - these days. Hope you have a great NYE party! Robyn

Old 12-30-2015, 04:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
If that is one of the better ones - I'd hate to know the worst. That honestly sounds disgusting to me (don't tell your friend I said so ). Robyn
You'd be surprised how fast those meatballs disappear, along with the BBQ sauce and grape jelly smokies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink