Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times

Advertisements

All you can eat fiery hot wings. SO will not escape the rabbit food aka salad A movie, hopefully all furries in the living room for company. It is miserably cold!

Old 02-10-2018, 11:35 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Very happy birthday wishes to Spoiled Brat. May he get spoiled many more years.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:43 PM

23,529 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Making turkey pot pies, served with dinner rolls.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:31 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Default my first experiment with Zoodles ...

NMnita, many happy returns to SB! (I think that's your hubby? When I read that in the past I thought it was a kid, LOL!)

===============

Well, today was my first attempt at zoodles (you know, zucchini noodles to replace pasta - HA! ). I actually used my new Spiralizer yesterday on half a zucchini, so those zoodles have just been in the fridge; I also got some homemade pasta sauce (full of Italian sausage and LOTS of veggies -- onions, mushrooms, peppers, and I can't remember what else) out of my basement freezer yesterday.

I started onions and mushrooms cooking in one pot on the stovetop (because of course you can NEVER have too many onions or mushrooms at my house!) and some of the pasta sauce in another pot. I knew the zoodles only take a couple of minutes to stir-fry, so I cooked the other items 8-10 minutes, then added the zoodles to the onion/mushroom pan ...

They DO look pretty, don't they? And the Spiralizer makes a LOT -- as I wrote, that's only half a zucchini's worth of "noodles."

Here they are a couple of minutes later mixed with the onions and mushrooms, just about ready to come out ...

And here they are in a Fiesta bowl with the pasta sauce ...

The verdict? Well, the meal was decent -- it tasted like homemade pasta sauce with lots of veggies.

Which, of course, it was.

But it was missing something ... oh, I know, PASTA!!

Now, I did NOT expect the zoodles to taste like noodles. I'm not that deluded, honest! But I'd read SO many blogs, forum posts, etc., where people rhapsodized about how SATISFYING the zoodles were, with many joyously proclaiming that they are AS SATISFYING AS PASTA.

Um, nope.

The 1-1/2 zucchinis I have left won't go to waste, as I actually really like zucchini in my vegetable stir-fries (side dishes to most dinners). But I think I may be using my Spiralizer only because the veggies look pretty ... good thing it only cost 20 bucks!

HAPPY WEEKEND, EVERYONE! May all your meals turn out to be as satisfying as you'd hoped!

Old 02-10-2018, 02:11 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
making chicken breasts (deboned) in a light Alfredo sauce with aspargus and roasted red peppers

Marinated some fresh cut pineapple chunks in dark rum for desert with some Godiva chocolates on the side.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:19 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I'm not one of the zoodle people, Karen, but I'll say the same thing to you I said to Dawn - use half pasta and half zoodles. You still get the satisfaction of the actual pasta, but you eat a lot less of it.

Dinner: beef taquitos on a bed of shredded iceberg and cabbage, daikon slices, green onion, and grated cheddar. Served with sour cream and Tapatio hot sauce

Old 02-10-2018, 02:30 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm not one of the zoodle people, Karen, but I'll say the same thing to you I said to Dawn - use half pasta and half zoodles. You still get the satisfaction of the actual pasta, but you eat a lot less of it.
LOL'd at the phrase "zoodle people"! Next time I may very well use half pasta and half zoodles -- today I wanted to try it "plain." I like cooked zucchini, as I wrote, but even with the homemade chunky pasta sauce (which was delicious -- it froze well!), the zoodles were nowhere near as satisfying as PASTA ... and I was, I must admit, just a tiny bit hopeful.

I'm not actually doing "low carbs," I'm just trying to try different things, since sometimes I get in a cooking rut.

Quote:
Dinner: beef taquitos on a bed of shredded iceberg and cabbage, daikon slices, green onion, and grated cheddar. Served with sour cream and Tapatio hot sauce
I've only had taquitos out of a box (and they weren't great). Do you make your own? Are they (relatively) easy? I love Mexican food so might want to try making taquitos.

And do daikons taste just like "regular" radishes? I love them in salads but often forget to buy them -- I think they got moved in my grocery store to a produce section that I don't walk by much! Will have to add them to my shopping list so I don't forget next time.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
NMnita, many happy returns to SB! (I think that's your hubby? When I read that in the past I thought it was a kid, LOL!)

===============

Well, today was my first attempt at zoodles (you know, zucchini noodles to replace pasta - HA! ). I actually used my new Spiralizer yesterday on half a zucchini, so those zoodles have just been in the fridge; I also got some homemade pasta sauce (full of Italian sausage and LOTS of veggies -- onions, mushrooms, peppers, and I can't remember what else) out of my basement freezer yesterday.

I started onions and mushrooms cooking in one pot on the stovetop (because of course you can NEVER have too many onions or mushrooms at my house!) and some of the pasta sauce in another pot. I knew the zoodles only take a couple of minutes to stir-fry, so I cooked the other items 8-10 minutes, then added the zoodles to the onion/mushroom pan ...

They DO look pretty, don't they? And the Spiralizer makes a LOT -- as I wrote, that's only half a zucchini's worth of "noodles."

Here they are a couple of minutes later mixed with the onions and mushrooms, just about ready to come out ...

The verdict? Well, the meal was decent -- it tasted like homemade pasta sauce with lots of veggies.

Now, I did NOT expect the zoodles to taste like noodles. I'm not that deluded, honest! But I'd read SO many blogs, forum posts, etc., where people rhapsodized about how SATISFYING the zoodles were, with many joyously proclaiming that they are AS SATISFYING AS PASTA.

Um, nope.

The 1-1/2 zucchinis I have left won't go to waste, as I actually really like zucchini in my vegetable stir-fries (side dishes to most dinners). But I think I may be using my Spiralizer only because the veggies look pretty ... good thing it only cost 20 bucks!

HAPPY WEEKEND, EVERYONE! May all your meals turn out to be as satisfying as you'd hoped!
Quote:

Karen, listen to Debsi. She knows things. She's not a zoodler but she knows things about how to zoodle. Adding *real* pasta is a good thing to know.

Your dinner looks great, Karen. If only there were some noodles nestled among the zoodles.

Debsi, your dinner sounds great. You had me at taq and again at uitos. The green onion, grated cheese, sour cream, and hot sauce sealed the deal.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:46 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Chicken & Rice

Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

===============

Um, nope.

K...that looks great with and without your sauce..
looking at the pic with the sauce..I could see some added short Rigatoni to grasp that lovely chunky sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink