Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 02:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

I use avocado oil mostly. I also use olive oil for lower temp things. I sometimes use coconut oil or bacon grease, but not as much as avocado and olive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 02:18 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
If you don't need oil to fry, what do people use oil for -- to put on salads? I ask because my main reason to use oil is to sautee or fry vegetables or meats.
Roasting vegetables or sauteing them don't generally require a high-heat oil.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:36 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.
I think this might be somewhat regional. I'm also originally from LI. Even my mother did not collect bacon grease for later use. My grandmothers didn't either. We also never had lard in the house.

In fact, I don't know anyone who did. This was 60s and 70s.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It has too many Omega 6's and it might be bad for brain health.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi...-suggests/amp/

https://www.brainmdhealth.com/blog/k...ega-3-omega-6/

I use grapeseed, avocado, and extra virgin olive oil. I don't use so much oil in my cooking that I mind the higher price per bottle, the bottles last me a long time.
Not to pick on you, Debsi because others have also mentioned a preference for supposed high Omega 3 oils over canola but....

https://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3...oking-oils.htm

Canola has a ratio of 2:1 of Omega 6 to Omega 3 - horrible, huh?!

Well, grape seed is 696:1
Avocado is 13:1
Olive is 11:1
Coconut is 88:1
Safflower is 199:1
and the list goes on and on........

Old 09-24-2018, 05:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Canola oil is genetically modified low in nutrients, high in oxidized omega-6 fats, high in trans fats and the omega-3s happen to be in an inefficient form. But even worse is soy oil.

Canola is a hybrid. It is easy to buy canola that is non GMO. But in general it is hard to avoid GMO foods. I do not need a highly nutritious oil to sautée or do stir fry. There is some disagreement about the Onmegas. But I don't use enough of the stuff for it to matter.

I bake almost exclusively with butter--when I bake. And I use olive oil for my salads every day. High quality canola works fine for my other purposes.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You need to get updated on lard, butter and other previously villainized but since exculpated cooking ingredients.

Doesn't anyone else get an odd fishy aroma from heated canola oil? Stopped using it the first time we tried due to that.
It was probably rancid. Vegetable oils start to decompose as soon as they are exposed to oxygen, and the rancidity is carcinogenic. You can slow it by refrigerating the oil. Buy in the smallest quantities so it gets used up before it goes bad. Solid oils like lard, bacon grease, coconut oil, crisco, etc. are resistant to decay because they have no convection currents distributing the oxygen. Any oil that smells bad should be thrown out.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk
Shocked at the number of posters who said they use lard and/or bacon grease. Really, in this day and age? That is certain slow suicide. What does your doctor say about what you cook with? Or do you not tell him/her and act surprised when physical illnesses and ailments are diagnosed? I wonder how many different medications you're on for high blood pressure, sugar diabetes, and so forth.

68 going on 69 (next month). Not on any regular prescription meds (most recently antibiotics for an impacted tooth that is being taken care of now that the infection is gone). Can't make gumbo without bacon grease. Some baking requires lard. And we keep some bacon grease for that little extra bit of flavor needed for other dishes.

My mother not only cooked with bacon grease, but she had one of those great metal cans that said "GREASE" on the side of it that she kept her bacon grease in for 50 years that I know of. She fried chicken regularly (was famous for it) and kept that oil, as well, for repeated uses. She died at 80, of complications from a broken hip she got running from the shower to the phone because she thought, correctly, that it was her boyfriend calling about their date that night. She was the youngest of 9 children, all of whom survived to adulthood on lard and bacon grease, most of whom survived to be 80 or older (except for the eldest who died in the 1918 flu epidemic).

Next question?

Old 09-24-2018, 07:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Butter and bacon grease. yum

Old 09-24-2018, 08:09 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,831 times
Avocado oil - great for high heat cooking.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:59 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,120,401 times
So why is Olive Oil discounted?

I only use OO and or Bacon grease.

Never have used rapeseed oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink