Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:41 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,070,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Iowa says loose meat. Maid Rite and Reed burgers were the best, but Reeds has disappeared. Too bad because they had some of the best ice cream to be found anywhere.

I agree with loose meat, but the pork tenderloin sandwich runs a close second.

Mustard only on a loose meat. Anything more is overkill.
Heh. My parents made it a point to stop at Taylor's in Marshalltown on our way to relatives in southern Iowa, nearly every trip. Years later, I was driving through with my mom and we stopped. She was so disappointed that the had started putting ketchup out as a condiment.

But, yeah, for me Iowa means tenderloin. Steamboat Gardens in Waterloo. Brietbach's in Balltown. Nick's in Des Moines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:42 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Cheese Steak. The best around used to be "V and S" in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Sadly, it closed. The best Italian Sandwich, too. It helped cure DH of his vegetarianism. Once he had a taste of a V and S Cheese Steak....

Old 09-27-2018, 10:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Soft Shell Crab on Seeded Rye (w/ LTM) and a cold beer.

Guess the State.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:17 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I got a kick out of the Fluffernutter in MA. I practically lived on those as a kid.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:57 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Now that I think of it, I haven't see French Dip sandwich on the menu outside of California.
I've never been to California, but I've had French Dip sandwiches in NJ, NY, PA, FL...

Old 09-27-2018, 06:49 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never been to California, but I've had French Dip sandwiches in NJ, NY, PA, FL...

I have to wonder where OP went and DIDN'T see French Dip... i've seen that everywhere, although i'm mainly east coast...

Old 09-28-2018, 11:01 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
I have to wonder where OP went and DIDN'T see French Dip... i've seen that everywhere, although i'm mainly east coast...

Yup, have seen this sandwich most parts of the country I've visited. I think what makes this "iconic" (FWIW) to California is the claim from Philippe's and Cole's of having invented it.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Hello. OP is here. You all seemed to be managing fine without me. What's needed?

Old 09-29-2018, 05:15 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I’m from Rhode Island-influenced coastal Massachusetts 30 miles east of Providence. A submarine sandwich is called a grinder.

For Massachusetts, I’m going to have to go with the Fluffernutter. Peanut butter and marshmallow fluff spread on mass market white bread. It always brings back the kid Saturday morning TV advertising jungle “when you en-joy joy joy, your fluff and peanut butter, be glad you have enough for another Fluffernutter”. Not exactly haute cuisine.

My personal signature sandwich is the lobster roll. A New England-style hot dog bun grilled on both sides in butter. Lobster meat, a small amount of Hellmans mayo to bind it together, fresh squeezed lemon to adjust the acid balance.

I can only think of a few distinctive local sandwiches. I’ve been to either Geno’s or Pat’s in Philly for a cheesesteak to see what the fuss was about. The worst gristle and fat disaster ever. I had a couple bites and threw it in the trash. I had a soft shell crab sandwich on the Chesapeake that was memorable. New York deli Reubens with hand carved meat or the Montreal smoked meat equivalent are a favorite.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:57 AM

1,584 posts, read 982,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve been to either Geno’s or Pat’s in Philly for a cheesesteak to see what the fuss was about. The worst gristle and fat disaster ever. I had a couple bites and threw it in the trash.
The fuss regarding the Philly cheesesteak is well earned, but not when it comes to Geno’s and Pat’s. My experience was the same — awful sandwiches at both places that I couldn’t bother finishing. It’s kind of like the “best of” rankings for Boston that list the Union Oyster House or for New Orleans that list Mother’s. The food is lousy at all of them, and none deserve any such mention.

Too bad you didn’t get a chance to try this at a good place like Jim’s or Cosmi’s Deli. And I’ve never had a good one outside of the Philadelphia area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink