Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

I unfortunately live in a part of Maryland that has neither Waffle House or Bojangles, places i've heard friends and relatives describe as amazing for both their food and their decor. At the very least, its an escape from the "Northeast" feel that my part of Maryland has (this is a border state). Please, I really dont' need no snob from Long Island, Boston or Connecticut here telling me that my, my family and friends taste is too low or unrefined. I've eaten Japanese and Thai food before and hated it, I'm looking for somethign new.

In a few weeks I'll be taking a trip to Baltimore to visit friends and along the way I have an option of taking detours to eat at either Waffle House or Bojangles. (Waffle House in Bel Air, MD and Bojangles in New Carrollton, MD). Both would involve about 30-45 minutes extra driving from my main route. Would it be worth it? For those who have eaten in these places, it is true that Waffle House is by far superior to IHOP and that Bojangles is by far superior to Popeyes and KFC? I've also heard that in particular Waffle House has a unique, small town ambience and a family feel to it that most places lack. How much of Bojangles menu is only moderately spicy or not spicy? I like moderately spicy food but I won't like stuff that's too hot.

And between Bojangles and Waffle House, which is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 03:58 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
well i cant say anything about waffle house because i have never eaten there. i have had bojangles:
to me its like KFC but felt greesy. the biscuit was good and i really like the dirty rice. the wings were good--but i felt the mild were hot enough

Old 02-28-2008, 04:23 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,939 times
I LOVE WAFFLE HOUSE! Everytime I'm near one, we have to stop. Pecan Waffles with Pecan syrup for me!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
I have to say I don't particularly care for the waffle house. I found the food to be really greasy. Just my humble opinion though.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
I LOVE WAFFLE HOUSE! Everytime I'm near one, we have to stop. Pecan Waffles with Pecan syrup for me!
oh the wonderfulness of it! My absolute fave!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,641 times
I like Waffle House but Bojangles is way too greasy and spicy.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,966,551 times
Never had Bojangles but we have a Waffle House here and its really good. The home fries are great....with cheese, gravy, or chili...or a combination of all of them.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I've been to Waffle House in Texas. I've had a good meal 2 out of 5 trips. The other 3 trips I actually got a stomach ache from the grease while I was still eating!

I like junk food as much as the next person, but it still has to be properly cooked. So no...I wouldn't say it's worth a detour.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:52 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I unfortunately live in a part of Maryland that has neither Waffle House or Bojangles, places i've heard friends and relatives describe as amazing for both their food and their decor. At the very least, its an escape from the "Northeast" feel that my part of Maryland has (this is a border state). Please, I really dont' need no snob from Long Island, Boston or Connecticut here telling me that my, my family and friends taste is too low or unrefined. I've eaten Japanese and Thai food before and hated it, I'm looking for somethign new.

In a few weeks I'll be taking a trip to Baltimore to visit friends and along the way I have an option of taking detours to eat at either Waffle House or Bojangles. (Waffle House in Bel Air, MD and Bojangles in New Carrollton, MD). Both would involve about 30-45 minutes extra driving from my main route. Would it be worth it? For those who have eaten in these places, it is true that Waffle House is by far superior to IHOP and that Bojangles is by far superior to Popeyes and KFC? I've also heard that in particular Waffle House has a unique, small town ambience and a family feel to it that most places lack. How much of Bojangles menu is only moderately spicy or not spicy? I like moderately spicy food but I won't like stuff that's too hot.

And between Bojangles and Waffle House, which is better?
NO Waffle House where you live? I've never heard of such a place. Honestly, I don't find anything extra special about Waffle House, but we also have them everywhere down here. It's pretty much your typical breakfast foods like eggs, bacon, ham, grits, and waffles. There is also sandwiches like club sandwich and burgers. Like others have said here, it is somewhat greasy, but when it's 3am and you're tipsy you don't notice so much.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
I've never eaten at Bojangles.

But Waffle House...mmmmmmmm.

It's not haute cuisine. Gourmet Magazine will never write rapturous articles about the atmosphere, the bon vivant attitude, or the delicate blend of texture and flavor.

But Waffle House...mmmmmmmm.

The waitresses call you "Hon," and pour you a cup of java without having to be asked. The hash browns are done perfectly--a good brown color with just the right amount of salt. The eggs are done with consummate grace. The bacon is always crisp. And the waffles are sinful excess.

My waistline, my wife, and my doctor won't let me go to Waffle House more than once or twice a year. But every time I go it's like a pilgrimage, from the heady aroma to the laminated menus to the luxury of drinking coffee, stuffing your face and working the crossword puzzle. Oh, and of course there's the people watching.

Go, by all means. You really can't say you've lived until you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink