Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:54 PM

142 posts, read 131,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Do you like fresh seafood?

Stop by the Haulover Bill Bird Marina toward the end of the day and buy fresh fish off the boats.

Same parking lot where you park to go to the dog park.
I do! And I will! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 05:34 PM

835 posts, read 476,899 times
Earlier, you claimed you were going into a studio, now you claim you are going into a penthouse. Which is it?

Penthouses are usually the largest units in complexes, typically located on the top floor, with exclusive amenities (largest balconies with hot tubs , rooftop pools, and stuff of that nature).

No way you are renting a penthouse for $2,000 a month, in Bal Harbor. By the way, being on or near the top floor does NOT mean you are in a penthouse. Most penthouses take up the entire floor that they are on with no other units present, if not two or more levels.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:29 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Earlier, you claimed you were going into a studio, now you claim you are going into a penthouse. Which is it?

Penthouses are usually the largest units in complexes, typically located on the top floor, with exclusive amenities (largest balconies with hot tubs , rooftop pools, and stuff of that nature).

No way you are renting a penthouse for $2,000 a month, in Bal Harbor. By the way, being on or near the top floor does NOT mean you are in a penthouse. Most penthouses take up the entire floor that they are on with no other units present, if not two or more levels.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Kind of funny.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Kind of funny.
I have to admit I've never heard of a "studio apartment penthouse", probably because there is no such thing. By definition a penthouse has multiple separate rooms as a suite.

How many people looking for a penthouse to rent would be happy with a one room Unit? Uh, none. Because nobody thinks of a tiny studio as a penthouse.

Do you have a passport, and have you been outside of the US?

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 07-24-2017 at 01:21 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 AM

Quote:
I have to admit I've never heard of a "studio apartment penthouse", probably because there is no such thing. By definition a penthouse has multiple separate rooms as a suite.

How many people looking for a penthouse to rent would be happy with a one room Unit? Uh, none. Because nobody thinks of a tiny studio as a penthouse.

Do you have a passport, and have you been outside of the US?
Again, you couldn't be more wrong. "Penthouse" has nothing to do with the size of the apartment. What you are doing is taking your personal idea of what a penthouse is, then deciding surely THAT is the definition.

You should delete your comments on the topic before you embarrass yourself more. I've lived in multiple penthouse units... it's called a penthouse, it's even on the elevator button as "PH" - the unit # has "PH" in it. Top floor is penthouse, that's it. That's the definition. Your movie/Vegas interpretation is silly and irrelevant.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Again, you couldn't be more wrong. "Penthouse" has nothing to do with the size of the apartment. What you are doing is taking your personal idea of what a penthouse is, then deciding surely THAT is the definition.

You should delete your comments on the topic before you embarrass yourself more. I've lived in multiple penthouse units... it's called a penthouse, it's even on the elevator button as "PH" - the unit # has "PH" in it. Top floor is penthouse, that's it. That's the definition. Your movie/Vegas interpretation is silly and irrelevant.
Let me clue you in on something: Just because someone calls something a duck, doesn't mean it is actually a duck. It's only a duck if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. If it swims and has scales, it's a fish, no matter how many times you call it a Mallard.

Okay, lol. Since you failed to answer my last two questions I'm going to assume the answer is no on both of them in which case your thoughts make more sense to me.

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 07-24-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I've never heard of being on the top floor making a Unit a penthouse...So if you're on the top floor in a tenement or section 8 building, you're in the penthouse still? There's no element of luxury to it?

Okay, lol. Since you failed to answer my last two questions I'm going to assume the answer is no on both of them in which case your thoughts make more sense to me.
There is no hard definition for what makes it a penthouse. Usually a developer will make them more "special." At my last one, the ceilings were a little higher. But even that's not a requirement. I'm not giving you my "thoughts" - I'm telling you what it is. I've lived in multiple 1 bedroom penthouses. A studio could easily be considered a penthouse as well.

You are passing off your opinion of what a penthouse "should" be as a fact. And you are simply incorrect. I've seen penthouses that are very basic, listed as a penthouse, called a penthouse, simply for being on the top floor. That doesn't mean ALL top floor units are considered a penthouse, obviously. Usually, a penthouse describes the top floor(s) of taller buildings, so you wouldn't see anyone describe the top floor of a 3 story apartment in Tamarac as a penthouse.

I have traveled extensively outside of the US, why that matters to you, I have no idea.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
I think we need to ask Bob Guccione for a proper definition.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I think we need to ask Bob Guccione for a proper definition.
Or Mr. Bean. Either way, this conversation has proved to be very humorous. I've never seen anybody get so worked up over housing definitions.

By the way, I googled "Bal Harbor Penthouse" and all the images are of very large and luxurious apartments, some even with pools and spas. I don't see any studio units...

Last edited by StarryKnight1; 07-26-2017 at 04:39 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 11:35 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,907 times
Actually BNBR is right, Penthouses are not defined by how many rooms they have. They're named for being the upper most units of a tall building. Often times to garner a better price they are built in a way that makes them exclusive compared to other units in the building.

Sometimes this is having more rooms, sometimes this is including a larger balcony or rooftop terrace, and sometimes one single unit will take up an entire floor. But the only thing all Penthouses have in common is that they are defined as being the uppermost unit of the building.

Though I have never seen a Penthouse studio, it's not crazy to think some exist, especially if it is a loft layout or something of that nature. I have seen buildings with several Penthouse units, each with differing sizes and rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area