U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2017, 11:54 PM
 
85 posts, read 28,682 times
Reputation: 44

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Do you like fresh seafood?

Stop by the Haulover Bill Bird Marina toward the end of the day and buy fresh fish off the boats.

Same parking lot where you park to go to the dog park.
I do! And I will! Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2017, 06:34 PM
 
94 posts, read 24,818 times
Reputation: 107
Earlier, you claimed you were going into a studio, now you claim you are going into a penthouse. Which is it?

Penthouses are usually the largest units in complexes, typically located on the top floor, with exclusive amenities (largest balconies with hot tubs , rooftop pools, and stuff of that nature).

No way you are renting a penthouse for $2,000 a month, in Bal Harbor. By the way, being on or near the top floor does NOT mean you are in a penthouse. Most penthouses take up the entire floor that they are on with no other units present, if not two or more levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Davie, FL
1,871 posts, read 918,767 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Earlier, you claimed you were going into a studio, now you claim you are going into a penthouse. Which is it?

Penthouses are usually the largest units in complexes, typically located on the top floor, with exclusive amenities (largest balconies with hot tubs , rooftop pools, and stuff of that nature).

No way you are renting a penthouse for $2,000 a month, in Bal Harbor. By the way, being on or near the top floor does NOT mean you are in a penthouse. Most penthouses take up the entire floor that they are on with no other units present, if not two or more levels.
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Kind of funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 02:01 AM
 
94 posts, read 24,818 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Wow, you couldn't be more wrong. Kind of funny.
I have to admit I've never heard of a "studio apartment penthouse", probably because there is no such thing. By definition a penthouse has multiple separate rooms as a suite.

How many people looking for a penthouse to rent would be happy with a one room Unit? Uh, none. Because nobody thinks of a tiny studio as a penthouse.

Do you have a passport, and have you been outside of the US?

Last edited by MisterRice; 07-24-2017 at 02:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Davie, FL
1,871 posts, read 918,767 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I have to admit I've never heard of a "studio apartment penthouse", probably because there is no such thing. By definition a penthouse has multiple separate rooms as a suite.

How many people looking for a penthouse to rent would be happy with a one room Unit? Uh, none. Because nobody thinks of a tiny studio as a penthouse.

Do you have a passport, and have you been outside of the US?
Again, you couldn't be more wrong. "Penthouse" has nothing to do with the size of the apartment. What you are doing is taking your personal idea of what a penthouse is, then deciding surely THAT is the definition.

You should delete your comments on the topic before you embarrass yourself more. I've lived in multiple penthouse units... it's called a penthouse, it's even on the elevator button as "PH" - the unit # has "PH" in it. Top floor is penthouse, that's it. That's the definition. Your movie/Vegas interpretation is silly and irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:03 PM
 
94 posts, read 24,818 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Again, you couldn't be more wrong. "Penthouse" has nothing to do with the size of the apartment. What you are doing is taking your personal idea of what a penthouse is, then deciding surely THAT is the definition.

You should delete your comments on the topic before you embarrass yourself more. I've lived in multiple penthouse units... it's called a penthouse, it's even on the elevator button as "PH" - the unit # has "PH" in it. Top floor is penthouse, that's it. That's the definition. Your movie/Vegas interpretation is silly and irrelevant.
Let me clue you in on something: Just because someone calls something a duck, doesn't mean it is actually a duck. It's only a duck if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. If it swims and has scales, it's a fish, no matter how many times you call it a Mallard.

Okay, lol. Since you failed to answer my last two questions I'm going to assume the answer is no on both of them in which case your thoughts make more sense to me.

Last edited by MisterRice; 07-24-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Davie, FL
1,871 posts, read 918,767 times
Reputation: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I've never heard of being on the top floor making a Unit a penthouse...So if you're on the top floor in a tenement or section 8 building, you're in the penthouse still? There's no element of luxury to it?

Okay, lol. Since you failed to answer my last two questions I'm going to assume the answer is no on both of them in which case your thoughts make more sense to me.
There is no hard definition for what makes it a penthouse. Usually a developer will make them more "special." At my last one, the ceilings were a little higher. But even that's not a requirement. I'm not giving you my "thoughts" - I'm telling you what it is. I've lived in multiple 1 bedroom penthouses. A studio could easily be considered a penthouse as well.

You are passing off your opinion of what a penthouse "should" be as a fact. And you are simply incorrect. I've seen penthouses that are very basic, listed as a penthouse, called a penthouse, simply for being on the top floor. That doesn't mean ALL top floor units are considered a penthouse, obviously. Usually, a penthouse describes the top floor(s) of taller buildings, so you wouldn't see anyone describe the top floor of a 3 story apartment in Tamarac as a penthouse.

I have traveled extensively outside of the US, why that matters to you, I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2017, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Weston, FL
3,565 posts, read 4,851,000 times
Reputation: 1090
I think we need to ask Bob Guccione for a proper definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 05:27 AM
 
94 posts, read 24,818 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
I think we need to ask Bob Guccione for a proper definition.
Or Mr. Bean. Either way, this conversation has proved to be very humorous. I've never seen anybody get so worked up over housing definitions.

By the way, I googled "Bal Harbor Penthouse" and all the images are of very large and luxurious apartments, some even with pools and spas. I don't see any studio units...

Last edited by MisterRice; 07-26-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2017, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood/Miami
327 posts, read 219,963 times
Reputation: 181
Actually BNBR is right, Penthouses are not defined by how many rooms they have. They're named for being the upper most units of a tall building. Often times to garner a better price they are built in a way that makes them exclusive compared to other units in the building.


Sometimes this is having more rooms, sometimes this is including a larger balcony or rooftop terrace, and sometimes one single unit will take up an entire floor. But the only thing all Penthouses have in common is that they are defined as being the uppermost unit of the building.


Though I have never seen a Penthouse studio, it's not crazy to think some exist, especially if it is a loft layout or something of that nature. I have seen buildings with several Penthouse units, each with differing sizes and rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top