Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
Ah. Wasn't sure if you just didn't know it had been changed (since it was illegal at one time). I think the WORST thing about Cape Coral is that I am not allowed to hang my clothes on a line if the line can be seen from the street.
Can you explain that logic?

When we were looking in Deep Creek in Punta Gorda, you were not even allowed to hang a clothes line! Nor where you allowed to park a car overnight that advertised a business. I understand rules on the fences but even then, the property owner is paying the taxes on the land, NOT the development. And that hinders the ability to own certain breeds of dogs for fear of them jumping over a 3 foot fence, which my 4 yr old could probably climb over in 2 seconds...

And of all places where you can air dry your clothes, which makes them smell great & cuts down on electricity, I would think SWFL would be one of them.

I would think that Cape Coral has bigger issues than if you can see someone's drying laundry when driving down the street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:35 AM

317 posts, read 772,837 times
No idea what the logic is. It's the same here for cars that advertise businesses - we own a small business and we have to cover or remove our advertisements every day. We've switched to magnetic advertisements so we can take them off every day.

A four foot fence? What is the point? I would've been pissed if we were unable to install our privacy fence. I am from Texas where EVERYONE has a privacy fence and I can't stand looking out my patio door and staring in someone else's.

And of all places where you can air dry your clothes, which makes them smell great & cuts down on electricity, I would think SWFL would be one of them.

We still line-dry our clothing. We have a privacy fence so it's not really an issue for us any longer. However, I am of the mindset that if the city won't allow you to line dry your clothing and lower your electric bill, then they should somehow subsidize our electric bills. It'll never happen, but its a crap rule.

Another good rule is that you can not have a piece of furniture sitting in your carport in Cape Coral Which is funny because I've lived in Cape Coral for several years and I can not recall EVER seeing a home with a carport attached. Even the older homes.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,515,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakinMama View Post
No idea what the logic is. It's the same here for cars that advertise businesses - we own a small business and we have to cover or remove our advertisements every day. We've switched to magnetic advertisements so we can take them off every day.

A four foot fence? What is the point? I would've been pissed if we were unable to install our privacy fence. I am from Texas where EVERYONE has a privacy fence and I can't stand looking out my patio door and staring in someone else's.

We still line-dry our clothing. We have a privacy fence so it's not really an issue for us any longer. However, I am of the mindset that if the city won't allow you to line dry your clothing and lower your electric bill, then they should somehow subsidize our electric bills. It'll never happen, but its a crap rule.

Another good rule is that you can not have a piece of furniture sitting in your carport in Cape Coral Which is funny because I've lived in Cape Coral for several years and I can not recall EVER seeing a home with a carport attached. Even the older homes.
Deep Creek said 3 feet. It was laughable.

Our neighbor in Punta Gorda use to come home every night & take off his magnetic ad on his truck. It seemed so beyond silly.

We lived for 5 years in Killeen, TX (Fort Hood),about 40 miles north of Austin.

I don't do well with homes that are on top of each other. I really don't need to see my neighbors 24/7

Old 10-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Deep Creek said 3 feet. It was laughable.

Our neighbor in Punta Gorda use to come home every night & take off his magnetic ad on his truck. It seemed so beyond silly.

We lived for 5 years in Killeen, TX (Fort Hood),about 40 miles north of Austin.

I don't do well with homes that are on top of each other. I really don't need to see my neighbors 24/7
I'm from Lubbock South Florida was a pretty big change for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:42 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,086 times
It's not against "cars" that advertise a business, it's against "commercial vehicles" which your car turns into when you put an advertisement on it, like your business name. You park your car with the lettering on it, then your neighbor can park his pickup truck with his ad, then the other neighbor parks his flatbed tow truck with his ads and so on. Get the point? People just don't know where to stop.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
It's not against "cars" that advertise a business, it's against "commercial vehicles" which your car turns into when you put an advertisement on it, like your business name.

Same thing.

Even still, I think it is silly that I have to remove our ads from three vehicles daily.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
its horsecrap no doubt

Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
I'm on the fence about this subject. I remember helping my mother hang clothes in the backyard when I was growing up in MA. Nobody ever thought it was low class or unsightly, since it was part of life. It's funny that in an age where they're telling us to save energy and buy new light bulbs, we're not allowed to hang clothes.

On the other hand, in Bonita there was a family living next to me for over a year and once in a while I'd come home to underwear hanging on my tree. No kidding. I was going to ask her to get a clothes line, but she moved.

I think the commercial vehicle law in Cape Coral is stupid. I can see complaining if someone parked a semi in his driveway, but I don't see how a sign can hurt the neighborhood.

Still, tjstrain has a point. A neighbor who rented the duplex next to me would occasionally park his huge dump truck in the driveway. It was the size of one of the Waste Management garbage trucks. It was unsightly and made the house shake. Actually, I think he was breaking the law, but they were really broke and I didn't want to complain.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM

917 posts, read 2,616,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstrain View Post
It's not against "cars" that advertise a business, it's against "commercial vehicles" which your car turns into when you put an advertisement on it, like your business name. You park your car with the lettering on it, then your neighbor can park his pickup truck with his ad, then the other neighbor parks his flatbed tow truck with his ads and so on. Get the point? People just don't know where to stop.
I know I wouldn't want this in the driveway next door!

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt186/tommy-105/mouse.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-28-2009, 06:36 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,111 times
why not? it could be worse, it could be a red-bull kia sportage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area