Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 03:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

If I was going to the Coralwood Mall on Del Prado...and was coming from Sarasota...

would I be better off A. going 75 to Tucker's Grade, and switching to 41 there...

B. going further down 75 to the first North Fort Myers exit (Bayshore?)

C. some other method?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:09 AM

172 posts, read 945,918 times
Tucker's Grade because then you can hit the Del Prado extension.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:31 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper View Post
Tucker's Grade because then you can hit the Del Prado extension.
Make a right at the extension and its a straight shot 6 lights and on the left!

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,907,594 times
Looks like the taxes in Lee County will go down but will the cost go up? Preliminary figures released Monday by Lee County Property Appraiser Ken Wilkinson show taxable values dropped to $84.5 billion, down $11.9 billion. Market values, or the value the property would sell for on the open market, also fell 12 percent to $109.9 billion. Last year values increased 6 percent. In 2006 they jumped 40 percent. Wilkinson said a drop in taxable value year-over-year has never happened in the last 50 years, and may not only have occurred during the depression.

Lee's taxable property values down 12 percent on average | news-press.com | The News-Press (http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080602/RE/80602020/1014 - broken link)

Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM

9 posts, read 29,968 times
Default cape coral is pembroke pines from the 80's

this is EXACTLY what happened to pembroke pines in the 80's, pembroke pines was a wonderful place to live then the latino gangs moved in. then came the crime and drugs. it is not safe at all there now. i moved to cape coral 20 years ago and watched the growth and decline of the past few years. guess what? the latino gangs are in cape. i have moved away..... pretty soon it will not even be a part of america, like pembroke pines. hopefully the last american to leave cape coral will take down the flag?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hi, I used to live in Cape Coral, but moved to Baton Rouge, La. I love it here, but my relatives still live in the Cape and have started to hate it. They do not feel as safe as they used to and they say latin Gangs are becoming more prevalent. I would never move back to Cape Coral, but it really was not too terrible to live there, we moved because I and my husband believe it will only get worse there and there is not much for children to do and we have a 5 year old.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:53 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Pembroke Pines is not safe anymore because of the Hispanic "gangs" and it was safe in the 80s? The 80s?!?!?!? Nowhere in South Florida was safer in the 80s unless it was unpopulated in the first place. Home invasions, cocaine users all over breaking into homes, shootouts between drug dealers, talk about bad times. You are a malcontent with poor memory at best and complete racist, ever assuming clown at worst. Out of all of the cesspool-like things that area is known for, gangs is not even close to being one of them.

PS- Wit all dem dang mina-oritie gangs, Pembroke Pines is a good deal safer than Cape Coral. If all of America ended up like Pembroke Pines, we would have a bland, crowded, congested, diverse but totally safe America with a relatively high median income.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 06-06-2008 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 AM

12 posts, read 48,118 times
Default Nagativity on this Forum and on the net in General

Quote:
If you haven't noticed, there are a handful of people in here that ALWAYS complain about EVERYTHING. You have to learn to ignore them, but you will see it's mostly the same whiners.
Amen to that. I have been reading this forum off and of for about 2 years. One thing I have noticed almost consistently (and I have read many parts, at many different times, about many different cities/places) is that the overwhelming percentage of posts about ANY area are negative.

I have experimented sometimes and read about areas where I have lived, that I have loved, or liked, etc., and then i go on this forum and all i hear is negative negative negative, with some positives.

I also read a statistic that said the majority of info given by "joe blow" on the Internet PERIOD is negative. For example, years ago i had surgery on my wrist for a certain condition (not carpal tunnel). My hand and wrist have never bothered me since - and i play the piano and work with computers typing for a living. I go on the net and type in that condition, and all over the place are all these people saying they are unable to function, in horrific pain, arguing with doctors for years, etc., because of this same thing that has never bothered me. There is even a forum for this condition and I read it, and everyone on there is moaning and whining, and I have never had one day of problem with my wrist after the surgery.

The point is, since I (and no doubt the others like me, who have no trouble) don't go on the net and say we're happy, there is no one to conteract all the ones in pain. Of course they will post more because if you are in pain you need more attention. So you get a skewed view - you dont' see the millions of people who never had any trouble.

Another example - i read on here that Lehigh Acres is horrible.
some parts of it - more east and north are horrible - where there are lots of duplexes. But the west portion is beautiful, and I even had a real estate agent tell me the good and bad areas to live and I marked them on a map - one of them was a section in Lehigh. Not the whole town is bad - but there are bad areas. There are also good areas of Lehigh where the houses are higher priced. And no, this real estate agent was not trying to sell me a house there. I just wanted info on the good and bad areas.

Fort Myers came out with more "patchiness" than lehigh - where the bad area seems to be more contained in certain areas. the good area is set off in Lehigh - where in Ft Myers it seems patchy. Also, 4 of the agents in that office live in lehigh and have lived there more than 10 years, 4 years, etc. and are happy there. It depends on the area.

So whoever is reading this forum , take what you read with a grain of salt, because if i followed this forum, NOWHERE is a good place to live.

I lived in los Angeles and Orange County for 18 years - all over and loved it. I only left because we couldn't afford to buy a house there. I am also a minority - and experienced NO racism there, including and esp. Orange County. I open this forum and all I read is negative negative negative - and that O.C. is so racist you can't go anywhere etc. Nothing could be farther from the truth of my experience. That is most of the reason i loved S. CA - I felt free from racism.

I wish people would stop generalizing, basing their opinions on sensationalized stories, painting an entire area bad when there are always different sections - that is true in most any city. There is an area in greater L.A., San Marino - tons of movie stars live there- multi million dollar homes. It is RIGHT NEXT to Boyle Heights - one of the worst parts of the city.

Same in Atlanta - Buckhead - an exclusive area - abuts a bad area.

So take what you read here with a grain of salt. The people who are happy in a place and love it are probably not on this forum - as I am usually not (i haven't been here and posting for many months)

BTW as for jobs - my friends in CA are still looking for work after almost 5 months - I moved to Sw Florida and found a job (almost 60K) in less than 3 months. And this is in the peak of this bad recession (laid off July 1, moved to SW Florida August 4). My husband did too in a totally different field, and he is making more than he made in CA.

g

Old 11-12-2008, 05:19 PM

25 posts, read 71,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldtaffeta View Post
Amen to that. I have been reading this forum off and of for about 2 years. One thing I have noticed almost consistently (and I have read many parts, at many different times, about many different cities/places) is that the overwhelming percentage of posts about ANY area are negative.

I have experimented sometimes and read about areas where I have lived, that I have loved, or liked, etc., and then i go on this forum and all i hear is negative negative negative, with some positives.

I also read a statistic that said the majority of info given by "joe blow" on the Internet PERIOD is negative. For example, years ago i had surgery on my wrist for a certain condition (not carpal tunnel). My hand and wrist have never bothered me since - and i play the piano and work with computers typing for a living. I go on the net and type in that condition, and all over the place are all these people saying they are unable to function, in horrific pain, arguing with doctors for years, etc., because of this same thing that has never bothered me. There is even a forum for this condition and I read it, and everyone on there is moaning and whining, and I have never had one day of problem with my wrist after the surgery.

The point is, since I (and no doubt the others like me, who have no trouble) don't go on the net and say we're happy, there is no one to conteract all the ones in pain. Of course they will post more because if you are in pain you need more attention. So you get a skewed view - you dont' see the millions of people who never had any trouble.

Another example - i read on here that Lehigh Acres is horrible.
some parts of it - more east and north are horrible - where there are lots of duplexes. But the west portion is beautiful, and I even had a real estate agent tell me the good and bad areas to live and I marked them on a map - one of them was a section in Lehigh. Not the whole town is bad - but there are bad areas. There are also good areas of Lehigh where the houses are higher priced. And no, this real estate agent was not trying to sell me a house there. I just wanted info on the good and bad areas.

Fort Myers came out with more "patchiness" than lehigh - where the bad area seems to be more contained in certain areas. the good area is set off in Lehigh - where in Ft Myers it seems patchy. Also, 4 of the agents in that office live in lehigh and have lived there more than 10 years, 4 years, etc. and are happy there. It depends on the area.

So whoever is reading this forum , take what you read with a grain of salt, because if i followed this forum, NOWHERE is a good place to live.

I lived in los Angeles and Orange County for 18 years - all over and loved it. I only left because we couldn't afford to buy a house there. I am also a minority - and experienced NO racism there, including and esp. Orange County. I open this forum and all I read is negative negative negative - and that O.C. is so racist you can't go anywhere etc. Nothing could be farther from the truth of my experience. That is most of the reason i loved S. CA - I felt free from racism.

I wish people would stop generalizing, basing their opinions on sensationalized stories, painting an entire area bad when there are always different sections - that is true in most any city. There is an area in greater L.A., San Marino - tons of movie stars live there- multi million dollar homes. It is RIGHT NEXT to Boyle Heights - one of the worst parts of the city.

Same in Atlanta - Buckhead - an exclusive area - abuts a bad area.

So take what you read here with a grain of salt. The people who are happy in a place and love it are probably not on this forum - as I am usually not (i haven't been here and posting for many months)

BTW as for jobs - my friends in CA are still looking for work after almost 5 months - I moved to Sw Florida and found a job (almost 60K) in less than 3 months. And this is in the peak of this bad recession (laid off July 1, moved to SW Florida August 4). My husband did too in a totally different field, and he is making more than he made in CA.

g

very good post. i totally agree.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM

18 posts, read 43,461 times
oh please , all you negative whiners cutting down the place you call home , get off your butts, volunteer , clean up , do SOMETHING POSITIVE if you don't like the conditions . I live in Cape Coral going on 25 years ( not ready to kick the bucket yet, by the way )No, it's not Paris in the Spring time or Hollywood dreams, but it's not gangs roaming the streets and rampant crime either . Cape Coral is growing and changing and I'm positive it is going to be even better. As for you, who insist this is the pits , go outside and take a look .. have you planted a bush lately?cleaned up your mess?? Helped improve the image of our city??
It's just like politics, if you didn't vote .. quit your bi....ing
so go ahead , enjoy another day in sunny Florida ..or not

Old 11-13-2008, 06:39 AM

25 posts, read 71,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelblue View Post
oh please , all you negative whiners cutting down the place you call home , get off your butts, volunteer , clean up , do SOMETHING POSITIVE if you don't like the conditions . I live in Cape Coral going on 25 years ( not ready to kick the bucket yet, by the way )No, it's not Paris in the Spring time or Hollywood dreams, but it's not gangs roaming the streets and rampant crime either . Cape Coral is growing and changing and I'm positive it is going to be even better. As for you, who insist this is the pits , go outside and take a look .. have you planted a bush lately?cleaned up your mess?? Helped improve the image of our city??
It's just like politics, if you didn't vote .. quit your bi....ing
so go ahead , enjoy another day in sunny Florida ..or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area