Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,734,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Ya move to Lehigh Acres, there is a quality place, NOT... How about Okeechobee? No jobs unless you are a farmer. No crime, ok how about Orlando? No crime there. Lakeland? No crime there... Tell me... where is this crime free town inland??????? I want to move there!!! Wait I know, in the middle of the everglades.
Exactly BacktoFLigo! EVERY city has it's problems, believe me. I remember not to long ago when I worked in the restaurant business I had to move around to all different cities: Gainesville, Ocala, Leesburg, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Sarasota. Gainesville is College City, but has crime. Ocala & Leesburg are farmy land, but has crime. Fort Myers- ehh! Cape Coral is a great city- but has crime. Sarasota is even better than Cape Coral- but has crime. I also was born and raised in Orlando, some areas are nice, but even those areas have crime. EVERY TOWN has it's good spots, EVERY TOWN has it's bad spots. You have to know how to pick the good and bad. In Sarasota, the bad is Newtown, in Cape Coral, the bad is the North Sections, in Orlando, one of the bad places is MetroWest, and in Lehigh Acres, one of the bad sections is... well, I can't answer that one, ALL the areas are bad . Anyway, you have to know how to pick those good and bad areas or you will NEVER be able to pick a city that you are satifited with. If you can't, than don't even come on these forums because you don't truly know good and bad. Some of these people that speak negatively about Cape Coral may not know how to choose good or bad. That might be all of our problems here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Yeah, On a Saturday AFTERNOON, one day last summer, the shop next door to mine has the back door wide open, and nobody around when I came to my shop. So I called CCPD, they told me to wait til they arrived. (like I have nothing better to do on a Sat afternoon, but wait on them) An hour and a half later they show up, look inside the neighbor's shop, then they want my I.D., and ask to look around my shop. I got nothing to hide, so let them knock themselves out. After locking up the neighbor's place they sit outside for forty five minutes. I get in my truck to go home, and they follow me three miles down CC Pkwy to the corner of my street. WTF?

These are practical stories of what goes on here, so those reading these posts have an example.

Want another? A friend of mine in the NE Cape was at home on a Friday afternoon this past fall. Sitting on his lanai, two teenagers came in the front door with a gun, and robbed him, in his own house. The CCPD treat him like the criminal, when they arrive, run his I.D., finger print, etc. No arrests were ever made.

My own vehicles have been broken into three times in the past twelve months behind my shop, twice during the day. I wont call the cops. It's a waste of time. They'll never do anything to apprehend the guilty party, they'll spend all their time jacking me up, like it's all my fault. Makes them feel like they're actually effective at their job I guess. And the reward for me? higher insurance rates, no doubt.

I know I rip on the cops alot here. I need to make mention that they are the point of the sword, and doing their job. Like cops everywhere, they have a tough job, and I respect and admire their service. But they have to take orders from a broken system here. The system being the entire local government that seems to be rotten, corrupt, and interested only in the collection of $$$$$, from wherever they can get it. Even if the means include the use of it's police departments for the harrasment, and shake down of it's citizens. Remember, the crap runs downhill, you gotta look to the top to find it's source......
What section of Cape Coral do you live in?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:53 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
What section of Cape Coral do you live in?
Business SW, Live SE. But there was enough information in the post to figure that much out anyway.

There are many retirees and older folks that perhaps dont have the more active lifestyle as someone younger, perhaps has a family to feed, a business to run, and has to drive a fair bit during the day, every day. So they are less likely to notice any problems. Not trying to be crappy here, it's the same thing as why somebody can go thru my vehicles, in broad daylight, behind the shop, while I'm in the office with the back door closed. If your not attuned to whats going on around you, you'll likely miss whats happening. So these people dont see whats happening, they assume they're living in Paradise.....Ignorance is bliss....It doesnt mean that these things are not happening, just because they never noticed it. Give it some thought

Old 04-15-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Business SW, Live SE. But there was enough information in the post to figure that much out anyway.

There are many retirees and older folks that perhaps dont have the more active lifestyle as someone younger, perhaps has a family to feed, a business to run, and has to drive a fair bit during the day, every day. So they are less likely to notice any problems. Not trying to be crappy here, it's the same thing as why somebody can go thru my vehicles, in broad daylight, behind the shop, while I'm in the office with the back door closed. If your not attuned to whats going on around you, you'll likely miss whats happening. So these people dont see whats happening, they assume they're living in Paradise.....Ignorance is bliss....It doesnt mean that these things are not happening, just because they never noticed it. Give it some thought
I enjoy your opinion, yachtcare. I lived in "The Golf Club" in SE and my aunt still lives there. We don't & didn't have any problems, but that doesn't mean that everyone won't have problems. Although I still stand to say that SE is safe, better then NW & NE, but stuff is still bound to happen wherever you are. It's just the way it is, sadly.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:31 PM

[quote=Suncoast Guy;3472846] I lived in "The Golf Club" in SE and my aunt still lives there. We don't & didn't have any problems QUOTE]

That area , probably wouldnt have "problems" due to the way it is situated, primarily on main thruways. Go just across CC Pkwy, where the streets have names, not numbers. It's a different world just a few blocks away. Car windows shot out with bb guns, mailboxes plowed down by drunks, roaming groups(dare I say "gangs") of punks. People hanging out on the street corners all night long, with the blue glow of their cell phones, as a different car "stops by" for a few moments every so often, as another "deal" is made. And yes, this is the "safe" SE section.

Frankly, it wasnt this way before Charley visited us, since then, it has been a steady downhill progression. One day, while I was changing a flat tire on my driveway, I look up, and some ten(ish) year old punk is rolling my spare tire down the street as if it belonged to him. Took it right off my driveway, as I was taking the flat off the truck. You'd have a difficult time convincing me that the core of decay has'nt been firmly established. And I can see it spreading thru the area. And I see the cops targeting all the wrong things, and ignoring the real problems. My friends with teenage kids in the High schools, and their tales of drug problems there. Don't fool yourself, Cape Coral is every bit the cesspool the neighboring areas are. Perhaps not as big of one as Miami, or Tampa, or even Ft. Myers, but it's up and coming. And it's inevitable. Of course, it's all just my .02

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
[quote=yachtcare;3475622]
Quote:
I lived in "The Golf Club" in SE and my aunt still lives there. We don't & didn't have any problems QUOTE]

That area , probably wouldnt have "problems" due to the way it is situated, primarily on main thruways. Go just across CC Pkwy, where the streets have names, not numbers. It's a different world just a few blocks away. Car windows shot out with bb guns, mailboxes plowed down by drunks, roaming groups(dare I say "gangs") of punks. People hanging out on the street corners all night long, with the blue glow of their cell phones, as a different car "stops by" for a few moments every so often, as another "deal" is made. And yes, this is the "safe" SE section.

Frankly, it wasnt this way before Charley visited us, since then, it has been a steady downhill progression. One day, while I was changing a flat tire on my driveway, I look up, and some ten(ish) year old punk is rolling my spare tire down the street as if it belonged to him. Took it right off my driveway, as I was taking the flat off the truck. You'd have a difficult time convincing me that the core of decay has'nt been firmly established. And I can see it spreading thru the area. And I see the cops targeting all the wrong things, and ignoring the real problems. My friends with teenage kids in the High schools, and their tales of drug problems there. Don't fool yourself, Cape Coral is every bit the cesspool the neighboring areas are. Perhaps not as big of one as Miami, or Tampa, or even Ft. Myers, but it's up and coming. And it's inevitable. Of course, it's all just my .02
I don't live there but my job is there and trust me its bad. I guess if you don't see it first hand its not a problem.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 AM

159 posts, read 551,518 times
[quote=yachtcare;3475622]
Quote:
I lived in "The Golf Club" in SE and my aunt still lives there. We don't & didn't have any problems QUOTE]

I live near the section you are talking about and personally I think you are full of C***. If your talking about Mirmar St and locations off that road I would love to see what you BS'en about.

Instead of bantering here write a letter of complaint to the CCPD and ask for some action.

You think CC schools are the only one with problems, you better wake up a smell the roses, It's all over the country, guns, gangs, drugs, etc.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
[quote=Donna-50;2397127]I have lived here for 15 years and have never had a problem. Yes we are getting more crime but it is still a safe city, and the population has more than doubled since I have been here. Everyone on my street has lived here for 8 years or more except for 2 houses that are rentals. If you do read on the murders, they know their attacker it isn't random. Yes, I have heard about the grow house busts, but I would rather have a few grow houses then meth labs any day.

City of Cape Coral (broken link)[/quote
What you said sounds similar to the statistic's of New Orleans the murder capital of the US. Most of the murders are drug related. So...it still has the highest rate of murders in the country.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:51 AM

Got your panties in a wad there, NY?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBill View Post

I live near the section you are talking about and personally I think you are full of C***. If your talking about Mirmar St and locations off that road I would love to see what you BS'en about.

Instead of bantering here write a letter of complaint to the CCPD and ask for some action.

You think CC schools are the only one with problems, you better wake up a smell the roses, It's all over the country, guns, gangs, drugs, etc.
If you open your eyes, you may see, but to be fair, I'm a little west of Coronado, But I did live on Vincennes for a while, when the whole area was still pretty decent, even by my standards

I've already covered my reasons for not involving the CCPD in my life, in earlier posts...a waste of time.

Show me where I said that CC schools were the "only ones with problems", the point was, that those problems DO exist here, contrary to what some others would have you believe. It sounds as if you agree with me there. So take a chill pill when your snorting them roses tomorrow morning, and take a GOOOOD look around you.

Edit, Yes, I'm full of S#!^, but I do know the difference between s#!^ and shinola do you?

Last edited by Compression; 04-16-2008 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 PM

23 posts, read 69,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FE06PE09 View Post
I recently moved to SW Florida (I have been here about a Month) and I don't feel it is as bad as many on here say it is. I have a job that deals the infrastructure, (water recourses, sewage, development, and road ways) my employer moved me down here to help with several projects. Now if the economy was as bad as the dooms day-ers say it is why would they pay the expense to move me? On top of that my wife was able to find a job right away. Again, if the job market was as bad as you say it is how did she find the job right after we moved? As an outsider on my way in I think things are picking up. In addition one of the main industry down here is tourism and retires. And considering how many time I've been cut off by older drivers who still have the right turn signal on, I'd say the retires are still making the trek in the winter. So your main source of revenue is still in tacked.

Now the real estate market does seem pretty bad down here but in my opinion it will hit bottom soon or it maybe at the bottom.

Now about the crime. In my opinion it is not as bad in the Cape as some on here say it is. Granted I am new to the area, but I am moving down from Detroit, so I know what bad crime is. I have lived in Detroit my whole life up till now, I've had Three cars stolen, I've been pick-pocketed, and robbed at gun point.

With a population boom there will be an increase in crime, but it seems like the police in this area are on top of things. In Detroit the police did very little in the way of solving crimes and they are very un-organized (one time I received a police report on the back of a burger king receipt). Down here it seems if a fly takes a crap on a car it is considered vandalism. For a city the size of Cape Coral the crime rating is very good.

Also if your main source of how bad it is comes from the news - consider the source. They are in business to make money, and crime sells. They won't bring in readers or viewers if they tell about the little grey haired lady who cooked a pot roast this afternoon. The crime down is so low that you most likely hear about every major crime on the news cast.
Good post!!!!!!!!!!!!! Detroit's crime is a million times worse than cape coral could ever be. I don't live too far from detroit, its scary just drving through. you don't know crime is until you go to Detroit. my advice-- Go to Detroit when it is light outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area