Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 07:01 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelblue View Post
sitting in my 30 year old Lazy Boy , watching my 25 year old floor model Tv , while in my Garage awaits my luxury sedan (sans automatic anything ) .. and I do have a beautiful view from my patio , and I thank fate everyday that I live here !
By the way .. there is not 1 (one) freakin' foreclosure in my neighborhood
Hope you werent losing your temper over anything I said
If you had read my post, you would see that you fit my profile of those that would be perfectly happy here. See that part about being established here for a while?......My own lifestyle is definatly several levels below what you describe as your own....As far as there being no foreclosures in your neighborhood....well, with over 10,000 foreclosures in Lee County for calandar year '08, so far, it's almost a dead certain conclusion that you're missing one or two of them somewhere very nearby.Look closer....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,734,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessdel42 View Post
the people are rude. the drivers are frightening. there are no jobs. there is no culture. it is downright desolate. i have never lived in a worse place and i have lived in a good number of places across the country
I disagree with you 100%. I lived in CC for a long time and still have a few family members that live down there. I can tell you that the people in CC are very friendly compared to some other cities. The town has low crime and a lot of people like it and feel safe. I'm sorry if you don't like it, but I believe that CC has a lot to offer people.

As for the drivers being frightening, welcome to Florida. It's that way all over the state.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:46 AM

7 posts, read 34,205 times
Default Just my take

I usually pass right by stuff like this and never post, but I stumbled across this and couldn't help myself.

Sometimes we learn by others mistakes, and if I can prevent one family from going through what I did, my taking time to type would be well worth it.

I'll start with the fact that I have lived on the cape for four years and I LOVE it here. Sadly, it was the worst financial decision I ever made for my family - lessons learned................

The cape is a great place to live if you like the lifestyle. I love the lifestyle. I'm a boater and fisherman, so this is about as close to heaven as it gets. Schools are decent, not as good as a few years ago, but still good. Shooping is good, if you are willing to drive 30 minutes if you can't find it on the cape. I can't say about nightlife.....my idea of nightlife is camping on a secluded island on the gulf.

Lessons learned and a couple hints if you are considering reloc to here:

- Timing is everything. We bought in '05, which was the worst possible time. Got stuck buying in an overinflated market and the associated overinflated property taxes and insurance to go with it. Properties are now fairly reasonable - just be careful to not get caught on the upswing.....it's not just the increased housing prices that get you, it is the increased taxes and insurance.

A few tips from someone who learned the hard way:

- study the homestead exemption/save our homes. Your purchase price is not what you are homesteaded at. That bit us hard as our property was re assessed just before homestead kicked in and we ended up with an 8K trim notice (an increase of 6K/year)

- study the tax/millage rates of all the counties around here. Many have clauses saying they can raise millage rates if they need to. They have decreased revenues right now because of the lack of construction/impact fees etc.........

- On the cape, assessments are a BIG deal. Try to find something that is already hooked up to city water and the assessments are already paid.... Assessments are in the thousands, so it can be quite an impact

- Bigger lots (double, triple) cost more in taxes... Not as important now as it was when I bought in 05, but that 8K trimm notice HURT

- Find out if the house you are considering to purchase has a hurricane related claim. The claim stays with the house (not the owner) forever. This bit me - prior owners filed claims after Charlie and I got stuck with a 5K increase in insurance because of it - I have NEVER filed a homeowners claim and got stuck with a 6K per year insurance bill on a 300K house....jeez

- Job market is really bad on the development/construction side. Many of my friends have left because they can't find work. Service industry is still there, I would imagine. Realtors have started to focus on foreclosures, and there are a few starting to sell........ I guess it depends on what you do for a living....

Bottom line, circumstances are different for each person.
Just do your research

Old 11-27-2008, 01:32 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,680 times
[quote=jeffabb;3538127]The thing with the Cape is it is a suburb. If that is your thing, then this is a peachy place to live. Also, the medium age has to be up there (or at least it swings up in the winter with the blue hairs). IMHO the pros and cons:

Pros:
Cheap place to live for the weather and crime levels
Plethora of canals if you are into boating and water access
Opportunity for service businesses to seniors and snow birds
Opportunity for elderly to make friends due to the influx of seniors

Question for you. What kind of service businesses are currently established for "seniors and snow birds"? Are those services still hiring?

I'm just looking for a possibility of an 8.00 to 10.00 an hour job, I don't need more than that.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 14,303 times
I go there every 6 months to see my parents, I was raised there and moved away a year ago to get away from the slummy aspect of it. The whole place has turned into a dump, and if you dont live in a dump you live near one. Cape coral looks like a meteor hit it and always had for at least 20+years, there has been no improvment whatsoever. The crime is horrendous and I cant wait fo rmy elderly parents to get out of there. The Hispanic population has devoured a once old florida hometown, its gone. And its sad, if your moving there buy a gun and learn spanish.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:55 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,734,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabina815 View Post
I go there every 6 months to see my parents, I was raised there and moved away a year ago to get away from the slummy aspect of it. The whole place has turned into a dump, and if you dont live in a dump you live near one. Cape coral looks like a meteor hit it and always had for at least 20+years, there has been no improvment whatsoever. The crime is horrendous and I cant wait fo rmy elderly parents to get out of there. The Hispanic population has devoured a once old florida hometown, its gone. And its sad, if your moving there buy a gun and learn spanish.
I have to disagree with this mostly. The whole place is not a dump. Sure, there are areas that look dumpy, but that isn't the entire city, and EVERY city has it's dumpy and not dumpy areas. The crime isn't bad for a city of it's size, and there isn't much of it.

The only thing I can agree on is the Hispanic population. That is growing all of SW Florida, whoever it isn't as bad in Cape Coral as it is in Lehigh Acres, Immokalee, or Miami, so count your blessing in Cape Coral.

Overall, Cape Coral is a good city. Little crime, not much fear in Cape Coral, it's a great place!!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 AM

32 posts, read 88,823 times
I live in Cape Coral. I believe this is a great location that is ruled by an oppressive City Council. You get the same feeling when you visit a theme park. Now that they have got you tightly secured within their borders they will milk you for every penny possible. The massive police presence is unable to do anything about home invasions. There is beautiful landscaping while the school children hold class in trailers. I got a great deal on the house, but any equity will be stolen by the Utilities Expansion Project.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:04 AM

17 posts, read 47,482 times
Please paragraph your blog if you want it read,thx

Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giffordo View Post
Please paragraph your blog if you want it read,thx
This is not a blog. It is a private forum.

Who are you directing this comment to?

And welcome to the forum!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:28 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabina815 View Post
You are a bit off I say..... Where the heck did you live in the cape? I lived off Pelican and that area made me feel like I was at home, Ya, the NE part up near NFM is pretty blah, naturally, because it is near Fort Myers a dump in itself, but not ALL of the cape, pull your head out of your..... Someone needs a hug....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area