Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:42 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

Any examples of high prices that shock you -- and you've seen people pay them? And you think no way in the world you'd pay that.

This is prompted by a commercial for Dyson vacuum cleaner -- for 700.00. (which was being promoted and a cleanliness/health purchase because of pet hair, dander, dirt.)

And I'm thinking:
-- can a vacuum cleaner POSSIBLY be worth $700?
-- am I a filthy slob because I'd never pay that
-- my low price range vacuum is 15 years old, OMG what's in MY carpet that Im' breathing in?

Other examples which a good friend has bought:
-- 1,000 Burberry handbag
-- $100 Gucci flip-flops
-- $600 Dooney and Bourke and Coach bags
-- $175 small bandana-type Burberry neck scarf

TO BE FAIR: we all have our times and areas when we splurge -- these are just her splurges. She also shops for bargains at TJ Maxx/Ross. Gap, Old Navy etc. THOSE are bargains for her. She wouldn't get caught dead in a thrift shop or buying clothes in Walmart. She shops for bargains on travel packages, home items, uses a gas card for discounts, etc.

((you know I'm too addicted to this 'frugal' issue when I see spending or a commercial and all I think is "is that FRUGAL?"))

Would you pay $700 for a vacuum cleaner?

When you hear what you think is a ridiculous price, do you do the math and think I could buy SEVEN vacuum cleaners that would last me the rest of my life for that price....or "X" number of "whatever item" for less than than and have it last just as long?....

Other prices (I just can't afford to pay)
-- there's a high-end mattress company that sells $33,000 hand made mattresses
-- $6,000 sheet sets
-- $200.00 face cream....

Who knew....I never HEARD of prices and items like these....not my world, but it must be nice.....(or is it stupid to buy stuff like that even if you CAN afford it.)

And to think I was shocked $3,000 Bose home stereo, and $5,000 TVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
And I'm thinking:
-- my low price range vacuum is 15 years old, OMG what's in MY carpet that Im' breathing in?

Yes -- I've bought several. Not Dysons -- I won't have bagless. We buy Sebos.

We own a janitorial company and we need high quality reliable vacuums. I vacuum a 1/4 of a mile every day, and hubby does more with his, and his travels around so it needs to take a knocking -- and we pick up more than anything a fine silty oily dirt -- our own skin shedding.

We've worn a few Sebos out -- but never had to change a belt, never had a clog that killed the machine.... and basically just get them serviced every once in a while to make sure everything is tight and cleaned.

We find pitched $100 vacuums constantly, people seem to toss them after a year, and often with nothing more wrong than a particularly evil clog -- so my $700 Sebo that lasted 12 years is actually CHEAPER than buying a new vacuum yearly. The fact your's has lasted is something I find amazing.

Here's the biggest difference I've found. What you go over and over and over to pick up, I get in one swipe. Once, I had a lady wrap her dead Christmas tree in an old sheet, and then dragged it down the hallway to the drop off point. She thought the wrap would protect the carpet from pine needles, instead, it funnelled the needles into a nice sharp line.

She apologized and said she would vacuum up the needles. I told her it wasn't necessary, I'd get them.... and she said I'll meet you in the middle.

WELL -- she had a Consumer Reports best buy model (as she told me later), and as I drove my Sebo up the line of needles, going a little slower than normal, she was furiously going back and forth and back and forth and back and forth. I met her about a foot away from her unit. She had gone twelve inches and STILL hadn't gotten all the needles, and I had gone about 50 feet and vacuumed the elevator, too. No needles were left behind in my case.

Do you need that kind of power? I don't know. If you keep up with vacuuming, probably not. It's handy around out house, because vacuuming is pretty low on the list, since we do it all day long other places. So it's nice to bring home the Sebo and have at it every once in a while....

But since we got rid of the carpet, our found Oreck works just fine (that find had a nasty clog which got it tossed) But that sucker is LOUD!

Old 03-03-2012, 11:55 AM

297 posts, read 726,598 times
I will not pay more for a "name" like Gucci. I could care less what name is on something. If someone ELSE needs to be impressed by something I wear or have, then THEY can pay for it!
(Actually I don't hang around those types of people.)

And I will not pay $9 for a chicken at the grocery store. I can find them for less elsewhere.

Some things you get better quality when you pay more as mentioned above. They have "consumer grade" products for things like vacuum cleaners, door lock sets, washing machines, etc. These do not last long.

Then they have "commercial grade" products which are designed to last longer, are high quality, and of course cost more. Buying a "good one" once which lasts a long time can be much less expensive than buying cheap models which need replacement every few years.

Like the commercial grade locksets on business doors, school doors, government doors, etc. These are very sturdy and last years, but might cost $200 as opposed to $40 for a home type. (Commercial grade only sold by locksmiths, not at retail stores.)

Commercial grade vacuums...
Hoover Commercial Grade Vacuum Cleaners

Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,238 times
There is a whole list. I usually like to compare before buying, of course I can't go running in circles just to save a buck.

My mom bought a Dyson last year and I was mad that she did. We had a perfectly good Hoover from many years ago and it was working fine.

I would not spend $300 on a coin purse from Louis Vuitton..personally, I think people who have expensive logos all over their stuff are just show offing how much money they "have".

I also won't spend ridiculous prices on fruits and vegetables unless they are in the "in season" price. I've seen a small box of strawberries go for $6..and they weren't even Driscolls.

$100 gucci flip flops? who would buy that?! I'm happy with my old navy flip flops

Old 03-03-2012, 12:30 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
$12 Coffee
$5/gal gas (when it's about $4/gal here.. I don't mind paying 0.1 or 0.2 higher per gallon if it's convenient but paying $1/gal more is ridiculous.)
More than $15,000 for any used car

Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Any examples of high prices that shock you -- and you've seen people pay them? And you think no way in the world you'd pay that.

This is prompted by a commercial for Dyson vacuum cleaner -- for 700.00. (which was being promoted and a cleanliness/health purchase because of pet hair, dander, dirt.)

And I'm thinking:

Other examples which a good friend has bought:
-- 1,000 Burberry handbag
-- $100 Gucci flip-flops
-- $600 Dooney and Bourke and Coach bags
-- $175 small bandana-type Burberry neck scarf

TO BE FAIR: we all have our times and areas when we splurge -- these are just her splurges. She also shops for bargains at TJ Maxx/Ross. Gap, Old Navy etc. THOSE are bargains for her. She wouldn't get caught dead in a thrift shop or buying clothes in Walmart. She shops for bargains on travel packages, home items, uses a gas card for discounts, etc.

((you know I'm too addicted to this 'frugal' issue when I see spending or a commercial and all I think is "is that FRUGAL?"))

When you hear what you think is a ridiculous price, do you do the math and think I could buy SEVEN vacuum cleaners that would last me the rest of my life for that price....or "X" number of "whatever item" for less than than and have it last just as long?....

Other prices (I just can't afford to pay)
-- there's a high-end mattress company that sells $33,000 hand made mattresses
-- $6,000 sheet sets
-- $200.00 face cream....

Who knew....I never HEARD of prices and items like these....not my world, but it must be nice.....(or is it stupid to buy stuff like that even if you CAN afford it.)

And to think I was shocked $3,000 Bose home stereo, and $5,000 TVs

We pay for quality not name. If there is an item we want/need we find the absolute best last our lifetime quality and purchase it no matter what the cost. In the long run the cost is low spread over many years of use.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
and people wonder why they can't make it on $250,000 a year.

We fished our vacuum cleaner out of a dumpster behind a hotel on the Branson Strip. It had been thrown away because the cord was damaged. It has worked perfectly in the 14 or so years that I have owned it.

As for the other stuff listed in the OP. I would not pay those prices if I were a millionaire. Even though, I'm sure that $100 Gucci flip-flops are very, very nice.

Hell, paying $5,000 for a television is a little ridiculous. We only paid $6,700 for our house! LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Some things you get better quality when you pay more as mentioned above. They have "consumer grade" products for things like vacuum cleaners, door lock sets, washing machines, etc. These do not last long.

Then they have "commercial grade" products which are designed to last longer, are high quality, and of course cost more. Buying a "good one" once which lasts a long time can be much less expensive than buying cheap models which need replacement every few years.

Like the commercial grade locksets on business doors, school doors, government doors, etc. These are very sturdy and last years, but might cost $200 as opposed to $40 for a home type. (Commercial grade only sold by locksmiths, not at retail stores.
Just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding. Are you saying Would you buy a commercial grade vacuum or lock set for just home use.

How often are people replacing lock sets.
My mom's house -- 40 years replaced locks ONCE. (multiple people coming and going, kids, etc)
My house 1 -- I was in one house ten years never replaced lock the entire time I was there.
My current house -- ten years and counting with same locks as at least one previous owner who was there 11 years.

MAYBE I'm spoiled because being single adult no kids -- I hardly put any 'wear and tear' on items that families with kids would 'beat up' a little -- or a lot -- more. For example I vacuum maybe twice a year. (and THAT"S how my vacuum has lasted so long no use! And I come in the house through the attached garage, so use my front door MAYBE -- once a week, and even then I'm going out to check the mail, and opening it from inside doens't use the keyed lock set.

I usually by the high low-price range item -- OR the low MID-range price item....which last me 20 years as it is. SO I certainly wouldn't pay commercial grade price for something when not needed, I don't care low long it lasts.

If and when I ever need a washer dryer for example -- same scenario. likely a low to mid range price point. I do laundry....2-3 loads -- once every 3 months. (sorry to say, yes, I have that many clothes, I can go that long between loads)

Old 03-03-2012, 01:16 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
$700 for a vacuum cleaner? That sucks! Pun definitely intended. Over $100 for a pair of sneakers? I bought a pair for $12 at Dollar General. I've got numerous bags for free, but even Winona Ryder knows better than to pay big bucks for designer bags. Don't agree with her procurement methods, though. It is amazing how much some will pay for athlete or designer products. As one said, "it's hard to put a price on a designer label. For me, zero."

Last edited by pvande55; 03-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Add quote

Old 03-03-2012, 01:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I have a Dyson but I paid $25 for it at a thrift store. It's the purple one that's made for homes with pets. I've never used a Sebo but I WOULD pay more money for a really good product. My Mom had Kirby's and they were very expensive even back in the 60's and 70's. I thought they were a lot of trouble but she liked them.

I have a lot of high quality designer items. But I shopped and got them cheap. I also refinish leather and one year I did great Christmas gifts. All my friends got refinished vintage Coach bags. The really nice classic ones, not the stuff they sell today.

I spent a day as a tourist recently on the Vegas Strip(most locals never go there). I went to one of the food courts looking for something reasonable to eat. $7 for a Wendy's single and $13 for Subway. I decided to skip it!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 03-03-2012 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: added
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living