Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:30 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,078,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have taught myself how to cut my own hair using YouTube videos. I started with just the bangs and front layers several years ago, and now can give myself a full haircut. It is nearly identical to one I would get in salons. It only saves me a couple of hundred bucks per year, but I like the feeling of being able to do it myself. Of course there are some styles that this would be impossible for, but it works for mine.

I am so impressed by this. There's a couple of girls at work who cut their own hair and it looks great.
I'm jealous.

On Shark Tank abt a month ago, they had a girl on w/this device she sells on Amazon that helps you
cut your own hair. I wrote down the name...it's " creaclip". Check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,555,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I am so impressed by this. There's a couple of girls at work who cut their own hair and it looks great.
I'm jealous.

On Shark Tank abt a month ago, they had a girl on w/this device she sells on Amazon that helps you
cut your own hair. I wrote down the name...it's " creaclip". Check it out.
I have a Creaclip! I got it maybe four years ago? I mainly use it for trimming my bangs. I have used it to trim the length as well. But I wasn't satisfied with such a simple hair cut, so that is when I started looking for more videos on YouTube.

This is the hair cut I basically give myself now (my hair is not pink like hers though). She is a hairstylist but she makes videos showing how she cuts her own hair. The style in this video is exactly how I wear mine, so it was great to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxGYmFbzito

Old 06-08-2016, 03:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,078,719 times
Wow I'll chk it out when I have more time! thanks.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:19 PM

117 posts, read 117,396 times
I grew up in a DIY family. So some things I do stemmed from that. We built quite a few furniture pieces for home use when I was a kid. Woodworking was a hobby of my father's. He also made a few dulcimers too. I was lucky--even though I was a girl, my dad still taught me everything he knew that was handy. My maternal grandfather (we lived in a multi family with them) also let me "help" on projects like plumbing and electrical repair, and building a shed from a Sears kit. (He didn't like me mowing the lawn though. Never did figure that one out!)

I can do basic electrical, plumbing and carpentry repairs. I can do all sorts of painting, even did some window glazing when we lived in an 1860 house. I've actually done some pretty extensive work fixing up a work studio we had a while back (Old 1800s office that used to be the office for a factory, though the factory was long gone by the time I was there). Furniture rehabs, whether refinishing or upholstery too. (Part of that came out of working on props when I worked in theatre--some of the painting methods too.)

There are some things I can do with cars, but it depends. It's harder now with all the electric/power additions. (I used to only drive old VWs. Now I have an Insight.)

I can trim my hair, but I'm hopeless at doing a decent style. So I usually have to get it cut by someone who knows what they're doing every other year.

One thing I'm trying to learn more of is mending. I already knew some basic sewing skills like hemming pants--handy when you shop in thrift stores as much as I do. Yet mending isn't something my family really did. So I'm starting to learn how to make minor mends as well.

One thing I'm working towards that got waylaid a bit with a recent move is using old jeans to make curtains and to upholster a loveseat I'll be building the frame for once we get unpacked. We have my grandparents original living room set--an old Heywood Wakefield coffee table and two step side tables. My dad had started refinishing them, then gave up on it when my mom wanted to buy a set that didn't look so "dated", so I got them and have to finish that up. I'm designing the loveseat to match one of their styles so it all fits in together.

I found out my new community has a crafting meet day for crochet, knitting and needle craft. The project I hope to work on there is cutting down a King sized quilt to a Queen, and then using the remainder to make a kitty bed cushion for our cat. We had been using it as is, but it kept getting walked on, so I decided it was time to make it the right size.

Last edited by LilyLeftTheValley; 06-08-2016 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: spelled something wrong--oops

Old 06-09-2016, 04:57 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,415,796 times
I would love to be able to cut my own hair. Sadly I like and "older" style and not even the hairdressers know how to do it. I may have to search some videos.

I can hem, sew on buttons, and do minor surgery on my granddaughter's stuffed animals but that is it. My stepdaughter has an extra sewing machine that she said she would give to me I have no idea how she got one let alone two since she doesn't sew, lol. Anyway….I thought a nice project with my granddaughter would be to make some jean purses or totes from thrift sale finds.

My husband and I constantly save money by doing things ourselves. I cook all of our meals and bake every week. Occasionally I make my own bread, rolls, and English Muffins….sadly that bit of frugality is not good for my waist. I have my own garden. My cold weather greens are ready. I have broccoli, kale, and swiss chard to pick today. I'm going to taste the broccoli leaves to see how they are. They are huge and I have a lot. I hate to waste. We'll see how that goes.

We do all of our own yard work, housecleaning and washing cars.

My DH and I work on our vehicles together. This year we changed the drive shaft in our van and did an oil change. Now we need to do the brakes and an oil change for the Jeep.

We do our own home repair/remodeling. Thankfully he can do the plumbing and electrical. We just finished changing out our kitchen countertops, and adding an Island. We gutted the bathroom and painted our vanity, built a new cabinet, laid tile, installed a new shower, and of course painted the room. Now we are tearing apart the spare bedroom. Had to take down and upper closet and make it smaller, move the water filter for our house, and do some drywall repair. We are up to the sanding and spackling…I hate that job, lol. Hopefully we will finish up today and then we can paint after it all dries…maybe tomorrow. Today we are going to paint the storage container floor.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:16 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,084 times
Eating IN is always cheaper!

Just for my husband and I to go to Taco Bell is $8 and we don't get a huge amount of food.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:18 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,654,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I cut my family's hair, give my dogs their vaccines at home (except rabies, which has to be given by a vet), home repair, car repair, cooking, cake decorating, sewing (not clothes, that's more expensive than buying used), pretty much anything I need to do, I learn to do if it's possible.

I can usually tell when I need to have something done rather than doing it myself. For example, I can do the brakes on the cars and put in an alternator or starter (hate doing a starter though). I can't fix the air conditioner myself, and I had a mechanic replace the fuel pump in the truck when it went out.

As far as bicycle repair, I fix most of our bikes myself, but I take my bike to the shop for anything more than a flat tire. I bought my bike new and it wasn't cheap, so I like to have the bike shop take care of repairs or adjustments.

I trim my husband's beard and his hair. $30 trimmer and it has already paid for itself many times over. JUST a beard trim here is $20.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:19 AM

4,994 posts, read 5,302,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Eating IN is always cheaper!

Just for my husband and I to go to Taco Bell is $8 and we don't get a huge amount of food.
Eating in is usually cheaper unless you're eating off of the dollar menu someplace. We rarely eat at the cheaper chain places unless we are traveling. We prefer to eat in sit down restaurants that serve less processed food. Some of that food is a mystery to me on how to cook it and what ingredients and spices to use. It's taken me some years to build up some confidence and a degree of skill to tackle fajitas. I was procrastinating because I have a certain flavor I like and was afraid of getting it wrong. It's not majorly life changing moment, but it was a small accomplishment. It will save me money because we love fajitas.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,269,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Car and bicycle repair, home repair, cook all my own food.

I do very shoddy work....but it saves me a lot of money and I actually like doing it, most of the time.

Shoddy work on a car or bicycle can make you dead.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,169,492 times
I bought an electric staple gun and re-covered 6 dining room chairs myself. I used some really nice fabric that I'd been hoarding for oh, over 15 years. Granted, the last chair I did looks a lot better than the first (thank you, youtube videos) but I enjoyed the whole process and am very happy with the new look. Plus using that fabric has decluttered another part of my small house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living