Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,255 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me feel like such a bad shopper!!

I buy basics at really good sale prices (pasta, meats, soda etc.)

But I spend a TON on nonsense...Skinny cow ice cream pops, smart puff snacks etc. That would totally put me over $150 a person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,045,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This was a side topic from another thread. I have a friend who is a single woman that claims she lives on a $150/month food budget. Some people thought this was doable, but I couldn't see how.

So... this seems like a good topic for a thread. How do you guys do it? I'm open to the idea but I can't quite grasp how you eat three nutritious meals a day on $5 a day. Please give as many specifics as possible, and remember I'm talking about living on a budget like that all year long (this person is not fasting or trying to lose weight). A grocery list would be great.

You have to stop eating red meat meat and chicken and live mostly on veggies, rice, beans, salads, fruit, soups, and the occasional chicken or turkey

Old 06-19-2009, 04:23 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Here's my typical weekday diet:

BREAKFAST
--protein drink with water, 2 scoops, about 55 cents, about 250 calories

LUNCH
--pink lady apple, about 40 cents, about 50 calories
--Quaker oatmeal, uncooked, about 20 cents, about 150 calories
--Planter's reduced salt peanuts, about 33 cents, about 320 calories
--water, 0 cents, 0 calories

DINNER
--Lipton noodles, 1.19, 480 calories
--oil, 3 cents, 30 calories
--margarine, 6 cents, 60 calories
--whole milk, 15 cents, 160 calories
--boneless skinless chicken, 75 cents, 110 calories
--water, 0 cents, 0 calories
--granola bar, 20 cents, 100 calories

Zinc, Vitamin D, Vitamin B complex, Fish Oil, Vitamin B12, about 12 cents

TOTAL: about $4 and about 1700 calories

Figure $15/month for supplies and sundries. Definitely doable and fine. In reality I enjoy getting food on Fridays and I go out to eat a few times a month. Then again, I also get dinner made for me (free) a few times a month.

My work lunches cost about $20/month. I've seen colleagues spend more than that in two days. Seems a waste to me.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:17 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
I could do it when living by myself. When my son is home (like for the summer) or if I had any other people here, I couldn't pull it off.

You could do it by yourself just living on Banquet Meals (89 cents at WalMart) and a few extra items. It wouldn't always be great eating, but it IS do-able if you have no other choice.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:28 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,119 times
Quote:
This was a side topic from another thread. I have a friend who is a single woman that claims she lives on a $150/month food budget. Some people thought this was doable, but I couldn't see how.

So... this seems like a good topic for a thread. How do you guys do it? I'm open to the idea but I can't quite grasp how you eat three nutritious meals a day on $5 a day. Please give as many specifics as possible, and remember I'm talking about living on a budget like that all year long (this person is not fasting or trying to lose weight). A grocery list would be great.

Walmart

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 29,065 times
If I was living by my self I could live off 150 dollars a month.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Your worst enemy is convenience foods followed by fast food.
Your best friend is your freezer and your electric plastic bag vaccum sealer.
When I cook, items like pasta, sauces, soups, beans and rice I cook in family sized quantities. This cuts down on my utilities. It takes just as much power to cook a lb of rice as a 1/2 cup. I package everything in single servings and put it in the freezer.
I buy meat products in large packages when it is on sale and package it in single servings.
When I am feeding more than one, I just pull additional packages.
That leaves me with a grocery list of fresh/frozen vegetables, bread, and fruit.
I will occasionally purchase fast food. For instance, I can get a fresh baked 18" 12 slice pizza at Costco for $10.00. When it cools, I package it two slices at a time and freeze it. I sprinkle a little olive oil on the crust and re-heat it in the toaster oven. It tasts just like fresh baked.
It takes some money to set up a proper pantry with staples and lots of spices etc, but once you have established that it is easy to replenish within your budget.
What I have described is not a fixed 150/month. Sometimes it is more, mostly it is less.
Another bad enemy for me was......STARBUCKS

Old 06-01-2010, 05:34 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,748,451 times
Single here :

I jar of peanut butter lasts a week : $ 2.00
I jar of jelly lasts a week $2.00
1 loaf of bread lasts a week $ 2.00
Suddenly Salad Pasta ( 2 dinners) $ 2.00
Deli Turkey packs ( makes 4 sandw ) $ 2.50

I don't buy alot of meat , too expensive , plus better to not eat alot of red meat but if I do buy it : hamburger $ 3.00 , makes 2-3 meals

Chicken on special $ 3.00 for breasts.

These are weekly staples.

I buy kool-aid for drinks , sometimes juice , sometimes soda. Milk fat free .

My splurge is once a week the dollar menu at BK . Which you can get a small burger or a salad for $ 1.00.

I do buy rice , starches , cans of corn . Of course everything is on sale

It all balances out..

Old 06-01-2010, 07:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
Rule#1: Protein, starch and vegetable for each meal.

Rule #2: Go meatless at least one night a week. There's half a dozen beans you can use for soup/stew (difference is consistency of the broth), add some corn bread and a little corn relish or green onions for the beans (that's your protein, starch and a vegetable_. Omelets are also a good substitute. Add hash browned or oven-browned potatoes (there's your protein starch and a vegetable).

Rule #3: Watch your servings. One box of any pasta is four servings (meaning it feeds four people or one person four times). Weigh out your meats. 1/4 lb per person.

Rule #4: Don't buy name brand anything. I guarantee you can't tell the difference between generics and name brands, except in very rare instances. One that comes to mind is ketchup, which varies based on the amount of vinegar and other spices they use. Frozen or canned vegetables are exactly that, and there's no qualitative difference between Del Monte, Green Giant or a generic brand.

Rule #5: Don't buy prepared or pre-packaged anything. That adds to the cost, and it's mostly made from foreign imported light oil (that's what all the artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are). If you want to make fajitas, get a recipe off the internet instead of buying a bottle or package of fajita marinade. Make your own sauces. It doesn't take that long.

Rule #6: Buy the cheapest cuts of meat. I use beef round bottom steaks and make my own bearnaise sauce (using a tarragon reduction from red wine vinegar, shallots, tarragon and white pepper). You'd swear you were eating filet Mignon.

Rule #7: When making soups or stews with meat, use cow's tongue, ox tails and other off-cuts. You'll never know the difference.

Rule #8: Avoid stores that use "loyalty cards" (like Krogers). If you insist, then learn the cycle. Each store has its own cycle which is going to be based on the socio-economic class of the people who shop there. Never go to a store in a welfare zone the first week of the month, because they jack their prices (because everyone has food stamps). Go in the middle of the month when they lower the prices back to "normal."

Rule #9: Learn where to shop. I never buy fruits or vegetables at grocery stores. We have a farmer's market here, and I can get 4 grapefruit for $1 instead of 2 for $1 at Kroger's.

The rest you'll just have to learn on your own from trial and error.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:02 AM

4 posts, read 12,880 times
Default Put down that package...

Well it's hard but beginning Jan 1 I started challenging myself to not buy any food that's NOT packaged. Not only does this end up being a whole lot healthier for you but it's way cheaper too. I used to buy packaged oatmeal and now I buy them from barrels in health food stores. I load up two weeks worth (14 days) for couple bucks! I used to spend more than twice that on packaged oatmeal sold by a corporation. I add two tablespoons of flaxseed ($4 for 3-4 weeks worth) and sometimes add cinnamon and presto! a healthy breakfast for probably less than a quarter a day!

This is totally doable but you need to buy bulk where you can, shop around for cheap fruits and veggies or better yet grow your own, plan your meals for the week every Sunday, stay the heck out of restaurants (this includes Starbucks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living