Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times

Advertisements

It wouldn't be so bad if they just used them in the fall. But noooo, they use them year round, every single darn day. It's so much fun to watch them blow a single blade of grass out into the street - not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 05:35 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Instead of blowing leaves and dirt around, mulch the stuff, it works. They make lawn vacuums that mulch at the same time. Who in their right mind thinks using a leaf blower only moves the leaves? It blows dirt all over the place. Nice that your lawn is so nicely blown, everyone's cars are now filthy.

As for property values, a leaf blower is the best solution to maintaining property values? Please.

Get a mulching blade for your lawn mower, they make them too. Only a fool blows the leaves and then mows the grass.

I liked the comments about the wringer washing machine. It takes real genius to draw that comparison. Using a washing machine doesn't send dirty water into your neighbors yard or open windows does it? Lets consider that for a minute though. On the one hand, you want to imply others are against technology improvements and thus you should still be using a wringer washer. Well, the washing machine evolved and now washing machines are energy efficient, wash better, faster and use far less soap. The leaf blower is still stuck on stupid along with it's owners. Leaf blowers of today are designed and built the same stupid way they were when invented, what has changed to make them better?
1. If you saw our large city lot plus all the lovely old trees, you would understand why we would use
our electric leaf blower only in the fall.
2. If you saw our neighbors property who never did a thing, i.e, never raked, weeded, shoveled and
their properties were full of hundreds of volunteer trees - the properties looked like a slum.
3.I am not against all technology but let's be honest here, who would do the laundry? As a working
mother and wife, that would be just great - more hard work.
4.Speaking of hard work, since we were home owners for over 35 years and I worked like a dog to
take care of my front and back yard - the result is carpel tunnel so severe that I now need
surgery or my hands will be useless in a few years.
5. In the fall we would rake several barrels of leaves onto the street and the city would suck them
up and use it for compost.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Instead of blowing leaves and dirt around, mulch the stuff, it works. They make lawn vacuums that mulch at the same time. Who in their right mind thinks using a leaf blower only moves the leaves? It blows dirt all over the place. Nice that your lawn is so nicely blown, everyone's cars are now filthy.

As for property values, a leaf blower is the best solution to maintaining property values? Please.

Get a mulching blade for your lawn mower, they make them too. Only a fool blows the leaves and then mows the grass.

I liked the comments about the wringer washing machine. It takes real genius to draw that comparison. Using a washing machine doesn't send dirty water into your neighbors yard or open windows does it? Lets consider that for a minute though. On the one hand, you want to imply others are against technology improvements and thus you should still be using a wringer washer. Well, the washing machine evolved and now washing machines are energy efficient, wash better, faster and use far less soap. The leaf blower is still stuck on stupid along with it's owners. Leaf blowers of today are designed and built the same stupid way they were when invented, what has changed to make them better?

The only saving grace that makes me laugh about leaf blowers is when I see some fool leaf blowing his yard and right after he is done, the upwind fool does his too and the leaf blower battles ensue.
Love it!

Pushes to the limit of editorial acceptability, despite stopping short of the level of scorn that the blowers really have coming.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
I didn't realize a leaf blower had ruined so many peoples lives. It is a MENACE TO SOCIETY!!!

Old 12-04-2013, 12:27 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I didn't realize a leaf blower had ruined so many peoples lives. It is a MENACE TO SOCIETY!!!
That is because most people using leaf blowers don't care much about anything but themselves. So long as they can run the thing, they are happy.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,031,564 times
Quote:
The only saving grace that makes me laugh about leaf blowers is when I see some fool leaf blowing his yard and right after he is done, the upwind fool does his too and the leaf blower battles ensue.
There was an amusing paragraph in one of Bill Bryson's books; something about the person operating the blower chasing after one errant leaf, leaving the others in the pile to scupper off and escape (check the link. it's hilarious).

Spouse uses the mower to chomp and spit leaves into the catcher bag, but there are parts of the yard he can't get into - right up at the edge of the house and in some corners where garage and house join. It was with my blessing that he bought a blower to cast those leaves into the yard to be mowed over. He's in his 60s; the less time and manual labor he is subjected to in keeping the yard up, the better.

Not all mechanical contraptions are inherently bad, even if they are noisy; it's the people who use them.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
That is because most people using leaf blowers don't care much about anything but themselves. So long as they can run the thing, they are happy.
It appears to be a bigger deal than I imagined. How do you cope with this catastrophic disaster?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,495 times
Can the sound of leaf blowers be a pain to listen to? Sure, I guess. And yes, so can playing kids who are loud while doing anything -- riding bikes, playing rope, or basketball with one of those damned portable hoops people have in the driveway.

How about a contracting crew? When my neighbor got a new roof dod you think I wanted to hear that all day? But it was work being done that needed to be done.

Get over it!

The professional yard crews that my neighbors hire are in and out in 15 minutes. I know mine is (ANd I work nights and sleep during the days -- and some days I don't even hear them. SOME times I'm awakened, but not always.

Is leave blower noise t really THAT big a deal? Really?....for 10-15 minutes.
Personally, I rake my leaves, (and you DO realize that makes noise to, right?)
And, at 53 I can see already there may come a year -- eventually -- when I might start using a blower.
1) most people are awake -- or not even home -- when the blowers are used and there are time restrictions in many places for their use, so it's not like its USUALLY disturbing someone's sleep.

Of all the complaints and issues one could have in life -- I really don't see that leaf blowers are worth worrying about?

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

Is leave blower noise t really THAT big a deal? Really?....for 10-15 minutes.
for 10-15 minutes, no. For hours on end, if one person keeps going, or one neighbor than the next and than the next. What's the point of having green space around your house and a bigger lot if you get to hear the drone of a machine?

While some may value a perfectly neat lawn, is it hard to understand that others don't care as much but really care about not hearing the drone of machines and having the neighborhood feel a bit mroe natural.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
for 10-15 minutes, no. For hours on end, if one person keeps going, or one neighbor than the next and than the next. What's the point of having green space around your house and a bigger lot if you get to hear the drone of a machine?

While some may value a perfectly neat lawn, is it hard to understand that others don't care as much but really care about not hearing the drone of machines and having the neighborhood feel a bit mroe natural.
Weed eaters, blowers, edgers, lawn mowers all produce noise. How are your neighbors supposed to maintain their yard? I may suggest you move to a place far out in the country if you want no noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden