Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 10:12 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

The groundhog has been back a couple more times and has just about cleaned me out. I've got two peppers and one basil plant left. I think it's only a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The groundhog has been back a couple more times and has just about cleaned me out. I've got two peppers and one basil plant left. I think it's only a matter of time.
well at least if he eats your basil he will have good breath but I can't imagine a rodent liking basil. That is the one thing they never eat of ours.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wonder if a couple of barn cats would help. Our yard is devoid of gopher mounds. While our neighbor up the road has 30 or so gopher mounds and she has no cats. Our feral cats love gopher!

Or maybe a wire mesh under the plants. I read some people do that for their raised gardens.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:38 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I wonder if a couple of barn cats would help. Our yard is devoid of gopher mounds. While our neighbor up the road has 30 or so gopher mounds and she has no cats. Our feral cats love gopher!

Or maybe a wire mesh under the plants. I read some people do that for their raised gardens.
I used to have Kato, the neighbors cat. He was one tough dude. He used to let himself out of the house and patrol the neighborhood. I guess that's why I got away with having a garden for so many years.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

I would think a mesh of some kind should work. Our container garden is inside, what used to be our dog run. We live almost in a forest, with wild everything and only have problems once in awhile. we do see Mr Squirrel sampling on occasion and have to tell Jack and Jill Rabbit to find other foods.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:26 PM

392 posts, read 754,354 times
It has been almost two month since I planted the okra seeds, they've grown so wide and tall so far but no flowers at all. Does it usually take this long for okra to produce flowers or am I missing something here?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to LA View Post
It has been almost two month since I planted the okra seeds, they've grown so wide and tall so far but no flowers at all. Does it usually take this long for okra to produce flowers or am I missing something here?
you will be getting them anytime and btw we only get a few blossoms but we get tons of okra. You can harvest it, even here in the cooler climate until Oct and into early November. I bought my plant this time (actually 3 plants) about 6 weeks or so ago, maybe longer. we were getting just a okra here and there. Now I have so much I hardly know what to do with it. Of course, we love it pickled, so that is what I do every so often.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:15 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Small update: Mr. Stripey yielded about five fruits. The larger 'volunteer' tomato plant that DH rescued from our compost pile has about the same number, but we have no idea what it is. Birds are pecking at our Celebrity-that's-really-Beefmaster the instant they show color.

We were at a farmstand talking to the lady behind the counter, who told us to pick heirlooms the instant they show color, or that'll happen. And that some of them yield only a few fruits. 'Why do you think they're so expensive?'

I really, really wanted a Celebrity.

We did buy and taste a Brandywine (okay), a Great White (interesting) and some huge green called, I think, Aunt Rose? Again, okay. But apart from a couple Black types, I think I'll let the farm stands grow my heirlooms.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:06 PM

392 posts, read 754,354 times
I am having lots of trouble growing tomatoes and so far I learned from the expert gardeners on here. I remember there was a post somewhere with recommendation and steps for planting successful tomatoes but I can't seem to find it. Can somebody please put the link to this post?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
We only had one little bell pepper! And it mysteriously fell off the vine and is dead. Just as well, it had bottom rot. What a horrible year for our potted garden. This is the second time we have had dismal failure trying to grow tomatoes in pots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you will be getting them anytime and btw we only get a few blossoms but we get tons of okra. You can harvest it, even here in the cooler climate until Oct and into early November. I bought my plant this time (actually 3 plants) about 6 weeks or so ago, maybe longer. we were getting just a okra here and there. Now I have so much I hardly know what to do with it. Of course, we love it pickled, so that is what I do every so often.
I have only had them deep fried in corn meal. I am going to try the pickled variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden