Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 02:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,035,789 times

Advertisements

Pretty much any country with "-son" names adapted to English forms when they immigrated. So, a Jonsson, Johanneson, or Johansen would become a Johnson. Even unrelated language forms with a patronymic system (like Russian, or other Slavic languages) would sometimes be Anglicized. The same applies to other patronymics, like Peterson, Anderson, etc...

Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
One thing I've always found odd about English-sounding surnames in America is how there are so many people in the US with the name Johnson, apparently the second most common surname there but only tenth in the list over here in the country where the name originates. There must have been a huge amount of Anglicisation of non-English surnames in the US over the years as going by the 1990 census the top 17 surnames in America are all British ones, pretty staggering considering how long it's been since large-scale emigration from Britain to the US and how few of you have mostly British ancestry.

Room 101: Most common Names and Surnames (in USA)

"Johnson" is not exclusively a British last name. Many Scandinavians (Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and Finnish) also bear this surname. Sometimes it was Anglicized for "Jannsen or Johanneon etc.)

They last emigrated to the US in large numbers in the late 1800s to early part of the 20th Century. Some of my in laws were some of the last to make it through Ellis Island, in the 1920s.

Two other surnames that are often mistaken as exclusively British (by British, I mean specifically English) are Jones (frequently Welsh) and Smith - can be Irish or an Anglicized German name.

More Americans trace their ancestry to Germany than to any other country.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:01 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I just took a look at that list and there are other surnames in the top 10-15 that sound English, but just as often as not aren't.

Miller - May be English, but often is German, German-Jewish, Eastern-European Jewish
Williams- may be Irish
Harris - so many Harris' are actually Eastern European Jews. (Horowitz, Herskowitz, et al)

Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This has become such a racist forum.
LOL! good one....

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled broadcasting.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Re. the commonness of British-sounding surnames among non-British descended Americans, two interesting passages from the Wikipedia article on family names:

Quote:
"Many freed slaves either created family names themselves or adopted the name of their former master."
<<< I'd imagine that would be the last name I'd choose in the circumstances!

Quote:
...due to very low literacy rates, many families could not provide the spelling of their surname, and so the scribe, clerk, minister, or official would write down the name on the basis of how it was spoken, or how they heard it. This results in a great many variations, some of which occurred when families moved to another country (e.g. Wagner becoming Wagoner, or Whaley becoming Wheally). With the increase in bureaucracy, officially-recorded spellings tended to become the standard for a given family.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
That's why Malcom X dropped his last name; so he won't have the same last name as the owners of his ancestors.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Yup. We are mutts. I used to think I was half German and half Norwegian. Turns out there is some Swedish on the Norwegian side.
This is what many people end up finding out when they do the research. A friend of mine used to always say he was of German Jewish heritage. When he did the actual digging he found out his distance relatives were mostly Russian.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,846,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
That's why Malcom X dropped his last name; so he won't have the same last name as the owners of his ancestors.
Saw an Oriental U.S. soldier with the surname of "O". Same military camp, there was also a Black U.S. Army Captain (male) with a surname of "Smallwood". As this and other posts show, the surname of a person (what about the married name of a woman, or an adopted child?) currently may not give an indication of a person's ancestry or background.

I've known "Blacks" that were White...

"Whites" that were Black...

"Greens" that were both Black or White, the same as with "Browns"...

The "Tan" (Asian) I knew was mostly correct...

I mark these kinds of topics at C-D as "YAIEBD" (Yet Another Ethnic-Based Discussion), for people saying that color doesn't matter, it sure comes up alot as a thread topic...

Sorry MLK, your dream still hasn't arrived...

Old 02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Oddly, the last name "Washington" is now a more common black last name than white one. I'd assume someone with the last name "Washington" was black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post

I've known "Blacks" that were White...
My dad grew up in a then British colony. One of his (white British) schoolteachers had a last name of "Black", which the non-white non-native English speaking schoolchildren thought was very amusing.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Have you been to New England? I don't think purely British ancestry is that commo
Bn in New England. I wrote a longer post partially about that earlier in thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22816586-post27.html
Yes just Boston, not as British as you would expect given its history
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy