Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're mixing apples and oranges. Again.

I don't know about you, but I'm an American. Period.
Do you consider Americans of African descent to be the same as you? Would you welcome them into your neighborhood or family?

Quote:
If someone asks what my heritage is, I'll tell them my ancestors came from Poland and Italy. But I am not Polish or Italian, nor am I a Polish-American or an Italian-American, even though I celebrate holidays with oplatki -- especially at Wigilia -- and make a mean marinara sauce.
And you yourself probably have a surname from Italy or Poland. Why do you have that? Aren't you an American?

Quote:
My grandfather was born in Italy and became a naturalized citizen. He also was an American.

If you want to call yourself an American, do it. No one is stopping you.
I never heard any African American say they weren't American. So what's the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I still find it strange that no one is willing to address that Black American Culture has nothing to do with African culture. Show me the culture and customs of any West Afican tribe and you won't find any cultural similarities. Again African American doesn't even make sense culturally.
Maybe yours doesn't. There are plenty of African characteristics to my culture.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:11 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Maybe yours doesn't. There are plenty of African characteristics to my culture.

I seriously doubt that. If you're a black American, then not even possible. If you're a recent immigrant from Africa and only 2 or 3 generations deep in America, then maybe. But you wouldn't be like your typical black American

Old 06-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that.
What you think means nothing to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that. If you're a black American, then not even possible. If you're a recent immigrant from Africa and only 2 or 3 generations deep in America, then maybe. But you wouldn't be like your typical black American
I'm African American and Latino.......and I'm not your typical black American, Latino American or American period. I'm not your typical human being.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Do you consider Americans of African descent to be the same as you? Would you welcome them into your neighborhood or family?
That's quite a chip on your shoulder. Why would you think anyone wouldn't?

Quote:
I never heard any African American say they weren't American. So what's the problem?
I wasn't responding to you. Go back and re-read the post.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,412 times
Quote:
I'm African American and Latino.......and I'm not your typical black American, Latino American or American period. I'm not your typical human being.

So in so many words, this conversation doesn't even apply to you. Thanks.

I would prefer black people who have been in America many centuries to actually address what they think it is about Black Culture in the United States that ties it to Africa. I didn't really question it much at first, but then I had a job about 10 years ago working with some Africans. Me being the naturally curious person I am, asked them a lot of questions about Africa. Then it sparked my interest, and I started to learn more about the continent and it's many regions. The more I read about it, the more I looked at Black United States Culture, and the more I started to see Black American culture has little to do with black African culture. Then I looked at mainstream or white American culture, and I started to see a ton of similarities between blacks and whites. Most certainly different interpretations of the same American culture, but Black american culture is far more American than African. And to be fair, I don't think black American culture is a different culture at all from white American culture. I tend to think the differences are simply exaggerated to make it seem like it's majorly different, but if one sit back and analyze it, they're basically the SAME culture.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 PM

318 posts, read 624,852 times
Quote:
Latino is not a race.

You are African American and Chicano (Amerindian mexican).

Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's quite a chip on your shoulder. Why would you think anyone wouldn't?

I've seen different treatment since Day 1. Just a few years ago in my progressive blue state, a buyer reneged on a deal to sell a house to me because the neighbors wanted the area to be all white. That's just one indication that we aren't all just Americans - after all, why wouldn't the buyer want to sell to another American family? - and that it's not African Americans who make the distinctions.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So in so many words, this conversation doesn't even apply to you. Thanks.
It does, because I choose it to.

Quote:
I would prefer black people who have been in America many centuries to actually address what they think it is about Black Culture in the United States that ties it to Africa.
My father's family has been here since the 1600s. And I have written extensively about this topic on many occasions.

Quote:
I didn't really question it much at first, but then I had a job about 10 years ago working with some Africans. Me being the naturally curious person I am, asked them a lot of questions about Africa. Then it sparked my interest, and I started to learn more about the continent and it's many regions. The more I read about it, the more I looked at Black United States Culture, and the more I started to see Black American culture has little to do with black African culture. Then I looked at mainstream or white American culture, and I started to see a ton of similarities between blacks and whites. Most certainly different interpretations of the same American culture, but Black american culture is far more American than African. And to be fair, I don't think black American culture is a different culture at all from white American culture. I tend to think the differences are simply exaggerated to make it seem like it's majorly different, but if one sit back and analyze it, they're basically the SAME culture.

I'm not going to claim that black Americans are all that different culturally than white Americans, but I am going to say that we have elements in our culture that are from Africa, just as Italian- and Polish- and Chinese Americans have elements in their culture that come from their places of origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy