Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
He has a tree started on family search. I added his wife and brother Fenton. Is Ross Fenton's middle name or is that another brother?
The 1920 Census says Joseph's older brother was just Ross.

Joseph's Army papers list Fenton Ross Vandenventer as his NOK. However, it's a Folio item and the original is not available on Ancestry, so the Fenton could be an error in transcription.

The brother was much older than the rest of the brothers (he was 23 on the 1920 census and Joseph was only 4).

Last edited by RosieSD; 01-19-2018 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The 1920 Census says Joseph's older brother was just Ross.

Joseph's Army papers list Fenton Ross Vandenventer as his NOK. However, it's a Folio item and the original is not available on Ancestry, so the Fenton could be an error in transcription.

The brother was much older than the rest of the brothers (he was 23 on the 1920 census and Joseph was only 4).
Of course I find Ross was there once I viewed the fathers profile. He had a different mother. Fenton appears to be a family name of Homers father Joseph Fenton Vandevender. I was busy making Janos a tree, so was more focused on that. Hopefully I'll get some hints.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Of course I find Ross was there once I viewed the fathers profile. He had a different mother. Fenton appears to be a family name of Homers father Joseph Fenton Vandevender. I was busy making Janos a tree, so was more focused on that. Hopefully I'll get some hints.

Yes, Fenton Ross and Joseph had different mothers. There's also a transcription error on Ancestry for the 1900 Census. It gives their father's name as Thomas (it is Homer, and it is hard to read on the original).

I'm still curious to know how Joseph and his wife met up with Janos and his mother, but I'm providing the information below in case someone searching for the Vandeventer family stumbles upon this thread in a search down the road.

Just to keep things organized here's updated info for the Vandeventer family:

Grandparents: Letitia Vandeventer and Joseph F. Vandeventer

Parents:

Homer Givens Vandeventer, b, 25 Oct 1873; d. 13 Nov 1939

First wife: Harriett B. Ross m. 1885 b. 5 Jan 1875 d. 19 Jan 1908

Child with Harriett: Fenton Ross Vandeventer b. 5 Jan 1892, died 11 April 1982 (buried in Mount Sterling City Cem. Mount Sterling IL, as are his parents and grandparents)

On 1910 census,Homer is shown as widowed, living with his mother and his son

Second wife: Agnes Minnie Gunther b. 25 Oct 1873, d. 7 Nov 1974 (note: there is at least one Ancestry family tree that shows her with the same death date as Homer. That is incorrect)

Children with Agnes:

Joseph G. Vandeventer
David Vandeventer
Kirk Vandeventer

Above information is confirmed by these primary sources: Illinois birth records, social security death indexes, Ancestry marriage indexes (various), U.S. Census, Cemetery records, and other sources

Old 01-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, Fenton Ross and Joseph had different mothers. There's also a transcription error on Ancestry for the 1900 Census. It gives their father's name as Thomas (it is Homer, and it is hard to read on the original).

I'm still curious to know how Joseph and his wife met up with Janos and his mother, but I'm providing the information below in case someone searching for the Vandeventer family stumbles upon this thread in a search down the road.

Parents:

Child with Harriett: Fenton Ross Vandeventer b. 5 Jan 1892, died 11 April 1982 (buried in Mount Sterling City Cem. Mount Sterling IL, as are his parents and grandparents)

Second wife: Agnes Minnie Gunther b. 25 Oct 1873, d. 7 Nov 1974 (note: there is at least one Ancestry family tree that shows her with the same death date as Homer. That is incorrect)

Children with Agnes:

Joseph G. Vandeventer
David Vandeventer
Kirk Vandeventer

Above information is confirmed by these primary sources: Illinois birth records, social security death indexes, Ancestry marriage indexes (various), U.S. Census, Cemetery records, and other sources
I'll try to work on this next at family search. Have to run out.

My neighbor is gonna ask her mother if she's heard of Janos family in Hungary.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
His name could be spelled wrong on the passenger manifest, or input incorrectly into an index.

Or, he entered the U.S. under another name?

Could Janos have started working with the U.S. Army while still in Europe, and come to the U.S. on a troop ship?
I do wonder if he came via the US Army since there are people with either last name on the Ellis site but none him.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Parents:

Children with Agnes:

Joseph G. Vandeventer
David Vandeventer
Kirk Vandeventer

Are you sure Agnes is born 1873? I got an error when I changed 1883 there were already records attached showing 83. I think I got it all. Will finish tomorrow

Old 01-20-2018, 07:34 AM

David Vandeventer Find A Grave has family info. Is anyone seeing a 1940 census that confirms the other kids listed below the bold?

VANDEVENTER DAVID, Oct. 20, 2005, of Roxborough; husband of Hazel O. (Van Fossen); father of Thomas O. and Jane; grandfather of 4; great grandfather of 3. Relatives and friends are invited to attend his Memorial Service Monday 10 A.M. from St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, 5720 Ridge Ave., Rox. Interment private. Family requests memorial contributions to Northlight Community Center Endowment Fund, 175 Green Lane, Phila., PA 19128. TURNER FUNERAL HOME @ WEST LAUREL HILL CEMETERY.

Obituary obtained from the Philadelphia Inquirer, The (PA) and Philadelphia Daily News (PA)
October 23, 2005
-------------
Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: D Vandev
[David Vandeventer]
SSN: xxxxx0751
Birth Date: 18 Sep 1918
Birth Place: MT Sterling, Illinois
Death Date: 20 Oct 2005
Father: Homer G Vandeventer
Mother: Agnes M Gunther
Type of Claim: Generated record from Earnings Reference File (ERF), Master Beneficiary Record (MBR) file, or MULTX data
Notes: 17 Oct 1986: Name listed as D VANDEV; 02 Feb 1988: Name listed as DAVID VANDEVENTER
--------------
His father Homer is listed in the VanDeventer Family book by Christobelle VanDeventer on page 116.

VanDeventer line is David, Homer, Joseph, Jacob, Jacob, Isaac, Pieter Jansen, Jan

Old 01-20-2018, 04:25 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Can you even imagine someone from the VD family just Googling their name and coming upon this thread and wondering WTF!?!

Old 01-20-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Can you even imagine someone from the VD family just Googling their name and coming upon this thread and wondering WTF!?!
Very possible. Hopefully one knows about Janos

Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
RosieSD, the record you found is for Ilma, the L in her name could be misconstrued for an R, but I see it's an L. If you note, it has the same info of the people she was staying with mentioned in the newspaper.

Given the date of birth, I would say this was Janos' mother. In looking, I did find a Ilma that died in 1993 in Canada, but no age is given, so not 100% sure it's one of the same...yet.
I took a look at the Find A Grave record for her. It has Janos linked to her as her child. That isn't conclusive proof that it is his mother (I've found other links on Find a Grave that turned out to be in error) but someone at some point put the two together.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/109041344
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy