Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think people who hate where they live, would hate the next place they move to, also. The problem is usually within themselves.
I really dislike when someone makes this pat statement. I've lived places in places that I loved and I've lived in places that I hated. The difference for me in all of these cases was the place. The problem is not always just "themselves" (although it can be). Some people don't thrive in certain places for lots and lots of reasons.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It sometimes is within themselves, but just as frequently it's a bad fit.

Let's face it. It is relatively easy to live where you were planted on this earth. Whether you don't like where you are from because it's expensive to live there, it's boring, or you don't love the weather, odds are you will fit in. At least feel comfortable. To start, you will speak the way the locals do. The food will be familiar. Even if you are different in a particular way, you will fit in.

If your politics happen to be different, you will get a pass. People know you. You are not a dangerous "Left Wing Extremist" or "Right Wing Extremist". You are someone's brother or sister and you're OK - even though you have strange ideas.

Moving can be tricky. Try that different politics thing with a regional accent.

Some places are just more accepting of others and there are places where certain personalities just will not adjust. Sometimes people have to live someplace they don't like because of a job commitment.

It's always easier to stay put. However, I kind of like moving. However, I only left my home area, in all honesty, because we could no longer afford to live there in the way that we were accustomed. We also had to send our kids to college and taxes kept going up. I do miss my friends back in the NY Metro area and I go there at least 4 or 5 times a year and stay a week or two.

One place we moved was not a good fit. The other is. We still may move a third time to Florida. We have family there and friends. Almost everyone is from somewhere else. And, it's God's Waiting Room.

It's also easier to move to a place where there are a lot of transplants. That isn't my opinion. That's been studied.
Not sure if I agree with this for me anyway. I was born and grew up in Northern NJ. I never liked it and never felt right there, even as a kid and a teenager. I got out as soon as I possibly could and will never, ever go back. I hated going back even for short visits.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:37 AM

399 posts, read 354,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I really dislike when someone makes this pat statement. I've lived places in places that I loved and I've lived in places that I hated. The difference for me in all of these cases was the place. The problem is not always just "themselves" (although it can be). Some people don't thrive in certain places for lots and lots of reasons.
True. I don't even like the French language (too irregular and soft, although I like how Old French sounded). I was expecting to be disappointed by my Paris visit. Yet when the plane was descending over it I got the same feeling I get when I return to my home city. It was a great experience for me, like I've been there before. The vibe was really romantic and artistic. I don't really believe in past lives but it felt more like home than my home city. But since 2014 it's not an easy place to live in.

I'm very used to my home city, it's true. The place itself has areas I love the vibes of. But I don't click with most people living here. I made more friends abroad for a year than for 20+ here.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:01 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,212 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:40 PM

172 posts, read 145,749 times
It hasn't been anything dramatic or horrible but I really feel like things have been off since we've lived here. Yes, it makes sense that some places just aren't right for whatever reason.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:07 AM

I felt this way when I moved to Kew Gardens (Queens), NYC. I felt off almost instantly and was never happy there at all. I had lived in Manhattan NYC for years and loved it, never any issues. Kew Gardens, just horrible. Nothing really terrible happened there, but I was just so unhappy there. It took me four years to move out of there, but once I did, it was like a giant weight slid off of my shoulders. I moved to NH and now MA and I've been happy with where I was ever since

Old 04-30-2019, 09:57 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think people who hate where they live, would hate the next place they move to, also. The problem is usually within themselves.

This is such a crock. I managed to escape from a totally ghetto city to a beautiful coastal paradise. I was miserable and constantly pissed and full of anxiety in GhettoVille, but happier than I've been in my life in Paradise. Beautiful surroundings are important to me. Ugliness & graffiti are depressing and totally unbalance me.

Most times it's the surroundings. Most people don't realize how much aesthetics matter.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,624,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
for me it's Florida-one crappy job after another..almost been mugged a few times by homeless people..one way or another I'm moving back to Denver. I lothe this place...
Wages in Florida are notoriously low. So many people come here from all over employers seem to have their pick of the litter.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:27 PM

399 posts, read 354,747 times
I felt that way in the Netherlands. It's a beautiful place, yet I had so much trouble there. It's like everyone and everything shouted "Leave!". On the other hand places like Poland, Hungary, parts of France and Germany "call me". I just wish they had easier languages (Old French was more logically pronounced/written imo).

Old 05-03-2019, 07:58 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times
Quote:
Yeah agreed, that’s an incredibly ignorant statement that completely ignores well researched facts. Take it to the extreme and if it doesn’t hold, you’re wrong, plain and simple. So you think someone in Venezuela has no right to complain of being unhappy and wouldn’t be happier in an American city??

I’m not happy in Portland because I’m surrounded by extremely liberal people whose world views I don’t share, whose attitudes about most things I don’t share, and beyond that I don’t like being rained on for 200 days per year, I don’t like bad weather 9 months out of every year, and I don’t like 10% income taxes when that eats into my money. I don’t like the bad traffic, I don’t like the lame hours of restaurants, I don’t like how little there is to do. You think I’ll be miserable in my new house with a nice swimming pool, hot tub, and fire pit in Las Vegas where there’s endless entertainment and 24/7 restaurants and low traffic and 300 days of sunshine?! Haha ok, whatever you say. I’ll take that bet any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues