Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 09:22 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,947,828 times

Advertisements

I am basically talking a new state or country. Will you always feel a "home" attachment to where you lived the majority of your years? For those who move around all the time, the question probably wouldn't apply. For instance, I just moved from MI to NV and I hear this all the time where people move back home stating that they just didn't feel "at home".

Human nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Will you always feel a "home" attachment to where you lived the majority of your years?
Does it matter?

Presumably you have good reasons to be in the new place...
so embrace it. Make it work.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Does it matter?

Presumably you have good reasons to be in the new place...
so embrace it. Make it work.
For me, yes, I have good reasons to be where I am. I'm okay with it. Whether it will ever feel like "home" or not, remains to be seen and I am not that worried about it. But, I hear others say it all the time. Especially in such a transient city. I suppose it is normal.

Just curious as to how other people have felt.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
I guess it would depend on what kind of a life (happy or not) you had "at home" and the reason you moved away from there.
Home is such an emotional thing. Some of it good, some not so good. Nuff said.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I guess it would depend on what kind of a life (happy or not) you had "at home" and the reason you moved away from there.
Home is such an emotional thing. Some of it good, some not so good. Nuff said.

So true.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times
I moved from VA to CO. CO feels like home in that I'm happy and comfortable here most of the time, but VA will always be home and I'll always refer to it that way because it's where my family is and where I grew up.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I moved from VA to CO. CO feels like home in that I'm happy and comfortable here most of the time, but VA will always be home and I'll always refer to it that way because it's where my family is and where I grew up.
Nice. I'm from Colorado, currently living in Virginia! I moved here from California (military) back in April. I've passed through here before, though only for short tours. This time we are here long enough to unpack and move in. We are enjoying it so far. Looking forward to the fall. Very pretty!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM

418 posts, read 906,723 times
Home is state of mind but having said that it takes at least 1 full year to get acclimated to new surroundings after a move.

On this topic, let me ask a question. Would you move somewhere you didn't want to be because it was safe, good schools, good jobs and overall good quality of life? The cons would be weather and lack of social connections.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:30 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Most of the time a person will have an attachment to their hometown. I think that's natural, especially if it's where you spent your childhood. That being said, you can always make a new place home if it fits for you. And when you need a break from your new home you can go back to your old home for a visit.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Home is state of mind but having said that it takes at least 1 full year to get acclimated to new surroundings after a move.

On this topic, let me ask a question. Would you move somewhere you didn't want to be because it was safe, good schools, good jobs and overall good quality of life? The cons would be weather and lack of social connections.
The social connections can be fixed, the weather can not. Depends how much you hate it because the rest of what you mention sounds like some very good reasons to move. Also depends on how much you love where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues