Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeemommee View Post
I'm not sure if this should be here on in the relationship section, but figured this was better.

I moved to Kentucky the middle of August so that I could attend the university here. I packed up my five kids, two grandkids and three dogs and made the trip. We are all so miserable it is insane. I did as much research online before coming about jobs, housing etc. I called and spoke with police departments and employment agencies, anyone and everyone I thought I could or should talk to. The problem is this place is awful. there are no jobs and what there are pay half as (literally half) much as they did where we were previously. ( DH was going to stay in NC and finish project until we got settled here and then find a job and then come, but his project ended without notice, so he came too)The people are not friendly, the schools are awful, I mean it's just bad. In just about any area you can think of it's just bad.

My question is, what do I do now? I have to finish atleast the semester here. (Which btw, the school is jerking me around too and not transferring in my credits the way I was promised.) I only have three semesters left to get my BA and I can't get that where we lived prior. So what do I do? Try and stick it out here or move the kids AGAIN? I have no money, the financial aid promised isn't coming through because some was based on credits that I'm not getting. It's just one thing after another. I'm trying to be optimistic, but am losing hope slowly but surely. We have no money, every tiny bit of savings is gone, rent is due soon, I don't have it. I'm now behind on car payment etc. I'm really beginning to freak out.

Sorry for the sobbing and whinning, but please help!
Sounds like somebody didn't take a trip to the area before making the decision to move. So many people do that now you would not believe it. They pull out a best of list, and decide that this must be the place for me, and just up and leave. Then they find out that their imagination and reality are at odds, and wail about it. If this makes you feel any better, thousands of other people make major moves without advance trips to check the place out. I think in Austin, Tex. probably 25% of all relocatees do that. That will lead to nothing but disappointment. I do hope you are able to make something out of your choice of Kentucky. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make the best of it for now, and next time spend time in an area before you uproot. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I feel your pain. I moved to Yuma, AZ from Indiana back in 2004 and can't wait to leave. I have been miserable ever since. I DESPERATELY want to find a job back in Indiana so I can leave. People aren't friendly here. People keep telling me to hang in there and things will change but it just hasn't. I have been attending church here, but I am still really unhappy. I currently have no one to spend Thanksgiving with because my family is back in Indiana. My friends here in Yuma say things like "It is sometimes fun to spend Thanksgiving alone." I think that is a bunch of B.S. It is never fun to spend a holiday by yourself. I often wonder if I have any real friends here in Yuma, because I am always the one calling them and they never call me. I am even willing to take a pay cut to return to Indiana. It really sucks here in Yuma.
Bluebelt, did someone put a gun to your head and force you to go to the Mohave desert? If not, that must mean you made the decision yourself. Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself, and make the best of your Yuma experience.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,206 times
You may not be happy back in Indiana either, you've been gone for 3 years and even though you don't seem to have moved on several back in Indiana may have.

Try to make the best of what you got and be happy your breathing air. Life is too short to complain, remember you make life what you want it to be.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,999,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
Bluebelt, did someone put a gun to your head and force you to go to the Mohave desert? If not, that must mean you made the decision yourself. Stop complaining and feeling sorry for yourself, and make the best of your Yuma experience.
I have to say I find this quite rude. We are here to support each other. A little bit of tough love is fine, but we're not supposed to be rude.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer1234 View Post
Sounds like somebody didn't take a trip to the area before making the decision to move. So many people do that now you would not believe it. They pull out a best of list, and decide that this must be the place for me, and just up and leave. Then they find out that their imagination and reality are at odds, and wail about it. If this makes you feel any better, thousands of other people make major moves without advance trips to check the place out. I think in Austin, Tex. probably 25% of all relocatees do that. That will lead to nothing but disappointment. I do hope you are able to make something out of your choice of Kentucky. Stop feeling sorry for yourself and make the best of it for now, and next time spend time in an area before you uproot. Good luck to you.
I think there is more to her story. I've read a few of her other threads and it doesn't sound like she was able to make the decisions or something, don't quote me.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:28 PM

122 posts, read 347,102 times
Taking a trip to an area and checking everything out in advance MAY help. But even if you do that you MAY still be disappointed. You cannot anticipate everything. So there is no one to blame here. Sometimes things just don't work out the way we expect or want them to.

I try to be happy wherever I am, regardless of my outer circumstances. On the other hand, if I CAN improve things I do, which is why I am moving from Greensboro to Raleigh.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times
Happiness is a state of mind. Happy people are happy wherever they are. Unhappy people will be unhappy wherever they are.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:40 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Happiness is a state of mind. Happy people are happy wherever they are. Unhappy people will be unhappy wherever they are.
No, that is not true. I would not be happy in Prison!!!!!
Most people aren't just in general unhappy people or happy people. Most have a wide range of feelings. So if someone doesn't like an area, that doesn't make them an unhappy person, it just makes them unhappy with the area!!! Big difference!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM

I agree with Roma. And I think that life is too short to stay in a place where you are not happy. Sometimes unhappiness has nothing to do with the geographic location, it is internal to the person. But other times, someone might be happier in a different place. I mean, look at the geographic boards above - if everyone could be happy in any random place, why are we having all of these discussions of "what it's like" to live in x or y or z place? We're trying to find the right fit because location matters.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:42 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,969,541 times
Thanks everyone for your words of support. My DH and I had decided we were going to try and stick it out. And then last Friday my 16 was attacked at school. She is doing ok, but the principal is doing nothing!! She was attacked by a football player and they are in the playoff's, so who knows where this will end up. I have been down there everyday and have spoken with the police and an attorney.

Since we have been here, we have had to evacuate our home because there was an "unexplainable exploding device" found in the neighbors yard, a registered child molester moved in three doors down, and a man at the corner of our yard with a gun. The police responded quickly, but still.

I AM a happy person and have tried over and over to make this work and it seems like everytime we make up our minds that we will stay, something else happens. I did do as much research as possible before moving (soothsayer) and had as much prelim stuff, such as a job etc lined up. Job fell through, etc, etc...

We still can't move back to where we came from, but I have decided we are leaving this summer. My family is too much at risk. And bytheway, all of the incidents that have occured in my neighborhood, are "first time" events. Lol, that's what all the neighbor's keep telling me. Crazy, huh?!

Anyway, I'll keep ya'll posted and my head up. I know one day we'll look back on this and laugh. I know we'll be alright.
Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues