Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM

20 posts, read 67,012 times

Advertisements

So glad to find this forum. We had booked a 2,000+ mile truck reservation with Budget but, based on what I read here, switched to Penske. Budget's rate was $200 lower than Penske but when I called in Penske was able to match it (though not automatically, they had to check with a supervisor). A few other fees were lower with Penske than Budget (ex: add'l driver fee). Apparently not all of the 16 ft Penske trucks have CD players so I am crossing my fingers that we'll get one that does!

Anyone run into issues with returning a truck to an unmanned return station? I've only rented a car once before and am concerned about running into added charges @ the return site, particularly if no one is there to review the condition of the truck with us. Also, has anyone run into issues with trucks being broken into while lodging en route to your move site? How secure are the truck locks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 12:26 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,832,878 times
Penske rocks!

If you're concerned about dropping off a truck after hours, let me suggest that you use a digital camera to take pictures from as many angles as possible -- showing that there's no damage. That way, if there's a question when the location opens in the morning, you have "proof" of what the truck looked like when you left it.

You supply your own lock, so it's as secure as you make it. I've only heard of one person who had any trouble -- and her entire truck was stolen.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Definitely use PENSKE! We did two one-way 1100 mile moves with them, and their trucks were in great shape and got better milage than they even stated they would. One of the trucks was brand new--had never been rented and had 130 miles on it when we picked it up!

Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
I second that advice. Don't forget though to make sure there is a date and time stamp set on the camera.
Penske rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Penske rocks!

If you're concerned about dropping off a truck after hours, let me suggest that you use a digital camera to take pictures from as many angles as possible -- showing that there's no damage. That way, if there's a question when the location opens in the morning, you have "proof" of what the truck looked like when you left it.

You supply your own lock, so it's as secure as you make it. I've only heard of one person who had any trouble -- and her entire truck was stolen.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 251,618 times
Originally Posted 11-25-2006 by Foxbatnyc
First off, UHAUL 22' trucks I believe don't exist...as for the vehicle's bald tires, you have the right to request a vehicle which you believe to be safe to operate...Now on that note: who is more negligent? The customer who knowingly drives an unsafe truck in 36" of snow, or maybe the Uhaul Center who has no idea that the person before you abused the trucks tires without notifying UHAUL at return...36" of snow sounds pretty deep, snow packed on tires, is it possible it was missed? Must it be Uhaul's negligence...maybe... but why bash before knowing? I can send you pictures of people posting UHAUL trucks used solely for the purpose of abuse and stunting...maybe you should bash the renters who abuse the trucks? UHAUL doesn't purposely install bald tires, and intentionally put lives in jeopardy, and anyone who believes this may have alterior motives or needs re-educating? As for $125 a day extra on a one way truck from PENSKE??? Uhaul SOMETIMES charges $20 for extra days.. As for the extra 8 mile charge of .40 cents per mile??? If the $3.20 would turn you against UHAUL...be as assertive at the UHAUL center as you are here in this forum...Pretty sure the $3.20 would've been waived...or you may have experienced that kind of a person, indecorous of a UHAUL representative, UHAUL only hires humans (NO ONES PERFECT).
ANY BONAFIDE PRICE FROM ANY UHAUL COMPETITOR WILL BE BEATEN BY UHAUL...PERIOD
For every one location from UHAUL'S largest competitor, UHAUL has 100 locations...CONVENIENCE: THERE IS NO CONTEST...Penske's lift gate a convenience??? UHAUL trucks don't need lift gates...UHAUL does not discriminate against average to short people who move elevators on a truck should tell you something....Ramps are easier to operate, faster to use, and keeps costs down to provide better service for YOU, THE CUSTOMER! If you feel cheated by UHAUL...let me know what I can do to clear up any 'bad-blood' between you and UHAUL - ANYTHING can be resolved...FAIR? PM ME

Last edited by Foxbatnyc; 04-20-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,532,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbatnyc View Post
Originally Posted 11-25-2006 by Foxbatnyc
First off, UHAUL 22' trucks I believe don't exist...as for the vehicle's bald tires, you have the right to request a vehicle which you believe to be safe to operate...Now on that note: who is more negligent? The customer who knowingly drives an unsafe truck in 36" of snow, or maybe the Uhaul Center who has no idea that the person before you abused the trucks tires without notifying UHAUL at return...36" of snow sounds pretty deep, snow packed on tires, is it possible it was missed? Must it be Uhaul's negligence...maybe... but why bash before knowing? I can send you pictures of people posting UHAUL trucks used solely for the purpose of abuse and stunting...maybe you should bash the renters who abuse the trucks? UHAUL doesn't purposely install bald tires, and intentionally put lives in jeopardy, and anyone who believes this may have alterior motives or needs re-educating? As for $125 a day extra on a one way truck from PENSKE??? Uhaul SOMETIMES charges $20 for extra days.. As for the extra 8 mile charge of .40 cents per mile??? If the $3.20 would turn you against UHAUL...be as assertive at the UHAUL center as you are here in this forum...Pretty sure the $3.20 would've been waived...or you may have experienced that kind of a person, indecorous of a UHAUL representative, UHAUL only hires humans (NO ONES PERFECT).
ANY BONAFIDE PRICE FROM ANY UHAUL COMPETITOR WILL BE BEATEN BY UHAUL...PERIOD
For every one location from UHAUL'S largest competitor, UHAUL has 100 locations...CONVENIENCE: THERE IS NO CONTEST...Penske's lift gate a convenience??? UHAUL trucks don't need lift gates...UHAUL does not discriminate against average to short people who move elevators on a truck should tell you something....Ramps are easier to operate, faster to use, and keeps costs down to provide better service for YOU, THE CUSTOMER! If you feel cheated by UHAUL...let me know what I can do to clear up any 'bad-blood' between you and UHAUL - ANYTHING can be resolved...FAIR? PM ME
Foxbat,

In the interest of balance, I will leave your post....but please calm down a bit. It is apparent you are a U-Haul dealer....no ads are allowed here and your post almost seems like a thinly veiled ad, but I think it is good to have both sides represented.

It seems to me there are good and bad dealers out there, and many trucks do not seem very new or even roadworthy with many of the rental companies....(not just U-haul).

You have 6 posts so far. If you are in the business you could be helpful here....I only ask that you be calm and helpful and earn the trust of those who post here.

Frank D.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 16,665 times
Just wanted to thank everyone for their posts. We are moving from Missouri to Georgia next month. We've made this move before ... just in reverse! We got a $1,300 quote from Uhaul but they almost matched my quote from a different truck rental place. It was almost a hundred dollars more but we don't have to drive to pick it up or drop it off! Thanks again for all the info!!

Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM

165 posts, read 1,024,821 times
So for our move, Penske is only $175 more than Budget for the same truck ($775 vs. $600), although we have to drive 10 miles out of town to pick up the truck at the nearest Penske place. Do you think Penske is worth it for the difference in price?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
absolutely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi66 View Post
So for our move, Penske is only $175 more than Budget for the same truck ($775 vs. $600), although we have to drive 10 miles out of town to pick up the truck at the nearest Penske place. Do you think Penske is worth it for the difference in price?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:39 PM

276 posts, read 1,142,249 times
Call Penske, they'll most likely match & beat that price
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues