Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 165,334 times

Advertisements

Wow, this is admirable. To embark on an adventure like this ... it took a lot of moxie! Looks like you'll reach your dream too. Good for you.

[quote=TheDragonslayer;3082941]The biggest move I made was after I lost all nine yards I maintained in the Oakland hills fire of 1991. I went from lucratively employed to fired overnight. A friend of mine told me about her 140 acres in southern Humboldt county California that had a 300 sf cabin with a spring and an outhouse available that she had not lived in for 10 years or more. I only had to chase out the raccoons and any other critters that may have invaded the place and to get myself a rifle. Me, a rifle, the smallest city I lved in was Pittsburg and next was Berkeley and Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Hubby and I decided one day we were done with AZ. I sent out some resumes and found a job across the country in NJ. Left family and friends and embarked on our adventure. Truth be told; I hated it for the first year or so. It was difficult to make friends, the culture was so different, people not friendly.

Once we settled in, moved to a great neighborhood, everything turned around. I couldn't be happier; and am SO glad that we moved to NJ. I couldn't imagine still being in AZ!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Quit my job, sold my car and relocated to San Diego from East Aurora, NY surburb of Buffalo at 40.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:16 PM

32 posts, read 99,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
When I was 20 I decided to leave home in NJ for the sunshine and palm trees of Florida. I rented an apartment over the phone and loaded everything that would fit into my chevy beretta and drove to Orlando to start my new life. I got a job within a week and proceeded to establish myself there.

About a year later an old flame from NJ came to visit- we rekindled that flame and I moved back to be with him. We got married, and had a baby but I found myself feeling homesick for Florida. A couple years later the marriage went bad and I loaded up my baby and everything that would fit in my Subaru and headed south once again. No job and the offer of a friend's guest room until I got established. My family was furious and I was practically disowned. They all thought I was crazy to do this with a child in tow. By in my heart I knew this was where I wanted- and needed to be.

That was 13 years ago- and I have no regrets. I immediately got a job that opened the doors to a successful career that I love, I completed my bachelor's degree and started some graduate work....... my son is starting high school in August and loves his home town. My father moved here about 8 years ago and my mother also chose to retire here.

I know not all stories are as successful as mine- and I took a huge leap of faith coming here alone, jobless and virtually homeless with a baby. But I have no regrets. Sometimes the best opportunities require that leap...... remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck to you!
don't you have to have a local job before you are approved for renting an apartment out of state? how did you rent an apt over the phone? please advise

Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,123 times
I had a very good job working in MA but really hated living there. I had to travel often to PA - which was alright but also to NJ - which was awful, just hated going there.
I quit and moved to AZ with no job and never looked back. Best thing I ever did. Found a great job, awesome friends and most important - the love of my life.
I could not imagine living in the northeast ever again. People are so different there, sooo depressing.....
And I do not have to deal with the horrible winter weather!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
If you married people think its hard to uproot and move, try being single with kids. I have moved twice with mine to areas I knew no one, just to have a job.
Now, I only have my son with me, as my daughter is in college, but I had to move again when I lost my last job. I tried to stay, tried to keep him in his school, but that didn't work out. I do regret moving,a nd I think I always will, no matter how sunny AZ is, I don't know anyone here nor does my son.
It seems the older you get the more people are grounded with their friends and family and are not looking to make new friends.
Weather means nothing when you are alone.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,625,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Hubby and I decided one day we were done with AZ. I sent out some resumes and found a job across the country in NJ. Left family and friends and embarked on our adventure. Truth be told; I hated it for the first year or so. It was difficult to make friends, the culture was so different, people not friendly.

Once we settled in, moved to a great neighborhood, everything turned around. I couldn't be happier; and am SO glad that we moved to NJ. I couldn't imagine still being in AZ!
WOW... that is the first time I heard someone mention that they LOVED moving to NJ. lol Many of us want out of NJ. I think it also is due to where
you are in NJ. Many places are great, but it is getting over crowded and
the prices on houses and taxes and such, are sooo very high.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:11 PM

161 posts, read 384,244 times
My fiance and I picked up everything, packed our cars and moved to Florida from Vermont. We both left our families, friends and everything we ever knew behind. It was a culture shock to say the least but a good one. I have so many friends who have never left the state of VT and they remain naive to the world. It was scary and I was homesick for months. For the first couple months I didn't even drive anywhere for fear of the crazy drivers and VERY large interstates!!! I don't like Florida and count the days in which I can move BUT it taught me a lot about myself and real life. I have grown into a person that I never would have been had I stayed in Vermont, or even New England for that matter. I also gained a new appreciation for Vermont/New England. I will move back to New England, because I do believe it is my true home but I would never regret leaving. We had more opportunities in Florida, got to buy our first home (which would not have happened had we stayed in VT), received irreplaceable job experience and went back to school for our masters. I would encourage everyone to break away from the nest for a couple years, you can always go back!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:54 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,625,683 times
>>>you can always go back!

The problem with that is my husband probably would never want to. I feel he has stayed here for us for many years, and now he wants to slow things down a bit. I am very nervous, but I am hoping I will learn to go with the flow so to speak.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:05 PM

50 posts, read 185,208 times
CA >>>>>>>>> AK, sight unsceen (other than 2+ yrs internet research) single mom w/ 2 kids in tow, that was 7 yrs ago and in 7 yrs i've grown to hate this place, its cold in more ways than winter LOL

I do dread the 'moving' aspect again but not as much as I dread this gosh aweful state that couldn't have been a worse place to raise my precious kids!, worst schools NATION wide.

We are SOOO outta here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues