Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:55 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
These days there are so many transplants from "up Nawth" they've diluted to nearly eliminated Southern culture in most major cities.
In NC? As a former Chalottean, I must disagree. Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem couldn't be mistaken for anything other than Southern cities, plus Greensboro and Winston-Salem, and to a lesser extent Durham (proper), aren't saturated with transplants to the extent that Charlotte and Raleigh are. I'm not arguing that they are as Southern as Jackson or Montgomery, but Sothern culture is still visibly present in all those NC cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Had she never been to NC before then? What made her think it wasn't Southern?
She had never been there aside from driving thru NC on her way to somewhere else. But when we hung out in Raleigh, and she met my relatives who live there, she realized that it felt just as southern as where's shes from.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:20 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
My s/o, who's from Georgia didn't consider NC southern until I took her to Raleigh for my family reunion. She changed her tune after that.
Quote:
Had she never been to NC before then? What made her think it wasn't Southern?
I watched a TV news story out of Shelby, NC last night If the people interviewed are any indication, North Carolina is still VERY much Southern. Might as well been Mayberry.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
I've heard of folks from Alabama that don't consider NC Southern.
Anybody who grew up watching Andy Griffith knows NC is Southern. I'm sure it has been diluted a bit though, but there's even areas here in Alabama that are that way.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:19 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Anybody who grew up watching Andy Griffith knows NC is Southern. I'm sure it has been diluted a bit though, but there's even areas here in Alabama that are that way.
I can't imagine urban NC remotely resembling anything that happened on Andy Griffith 50 years ago. It's tripled in size and is so deep in banking.

Last edited by mjlo; 09-15-2016 at 06:51 AM..

Old 09-15-2016, 06:51 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
She had never been there aside from driving thru NC on her way to somewhere else. But when we hung out in Raleigh, and she met my relatives who live there, she realized that it felt just as southern as where's shes from.
So she didn't know that NC has always been classified as a Southern state, a former member of the Confederacy? Or had she been hearing about how transplants have "taken over" the state or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I watched a TV news story out of Shelby, NC last night If the people interviewed are any indication, North Carolina is still VERY much Southern. Might as well been Mayberry.
Shelby is unquestionably Southern.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I can't imagine urban NC remotely resembling anything that happened on Andy Griffith 50 years ago. It's tripled in size and is so deep in banking.
But urban NC doesn't represent all of NC, just like Atlanta doesn't represent all of GA.

Even here in Alabama, the cities seem "less Southern" than the rest of the state

Old 09-15-2016, 10:32 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Right..

I love how people from other parts of the country try and tell locals how their own area is.
what else are you suppose to say, If someone in Plattsburgh, NY says they are from New England they are wrong, doesn't matter they are a local.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:57 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
These days there are so many transplants from "up Nawth" they've diluted to nearly eliminated Southern culture in most major cities.
What you mean to say is that Americans in and from America have moved to other places in America and now they feel like America where as previously they felt like America.

I'm getting about done with treating the north and south like they are two wildly alien cultures and the awful northerners are destroying that there south over yonder with their evil evilness of evil evil.

I mean, don't you people realize that the level of connectivity over the internet and its media saturation has anything to do with the homogenization of US culture? Not just a case of "them evil Yankees".

Further, you can find a lot of southern influence on the north as well. Because, contrary to popular stupidity, southerners DO and HAVE moved northwards. Ohio and Michigan saw historic influence from southern Appalachia which still exists to this day. Southern cuisine is now available nearly everywhere. More northerners use the term "y'all" these days than you likely ever would have heard 150 years ago.

Heck, the south gets almost all of the attention in just about any regard, including those where the alleged exclusivity of the subject is suspect.

Even then do you realize how minor the cultural difference between the north and south is and ever has been when compared to any other country? There are small state-sized European nations that to this day have extreme differences between them.

The US is too young to have that kind of cultural divide outside of western vs. native. The difference between Tennessee and Connecticut is teeny-tiny when put up against the difference between Turkey and Greece, or Italy and Austria, or France and Spain. So on, so forth. There are local identities, and if its all a person has ever known, sure, even the smallest change will seem huge. However, that's the growth of human perception, not necessarily a sign of stepping into another world entirely from a broad perspective.

As far as your comment, the wording irks me. It seems as though you feel that northern transplants set out specifically to ruin the south. As though that was their nefarious goal all along. Like there were old men in Boston in 1934 sitting around a fire with long robes, tapping their fingers together and thinking "First we send the future generations of northern kin into the south to make people in North Carolina speak like New Englanders over a period of time! Then we will proceed to changing the climate just to bother blacks in the UK! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! WE YANKEES ARE SO EVIL!"

You don't think that perhaps culture changes due to a number of factors outside of transplants as well? Technology? Travel? Communication? Broader scale education? Observation? The simple fact of change over a period of time in humans? None of those? Just northerners moving?

Old 09-16-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
I mean, don't you people realize that the level of connectivity over the internet and its media saturation has anything to do with the homogenization of US culture? Not just a case of "them evil Yankees".
You're right, I have noticed a lot of younger people in my area (including my two nephews) do not really have much of a Southern accent. The weird thing is that we don't have many transplants here, so the only thing I can connect it to would be the Internet.... YouTube, Facebook, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.