Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:08 PM

201 posts, read 574,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I actually agree, to a degree. Maryland, West Virginia, and Missouri are especially border like. Being split rather drastically between north/south (Maryland's southerness is in very short supply however, and unlike WV and Missouri, it fits in with the north far, far more).

I would still say Delaware is solidly northern though. Even the M-D line excuse is invalid because the "line" actually excludes DE.

Kentucky is hard to call a border state. Most of the state is still geographically southern as it sits on the same lines as Virginia. I think in the case of Kentucky, the Ohio river itself is still an excellent border.
To be fair I do agree with you also. I was kinda talking in general but for the most part you're right. I'm from one of the southern areas in Maryland and I will admit that the northern areas outweigh the southern ones, but I still like to throw the fact out there that the state is not strictly northern. Maybe i'm just bias, but I don't feel like no gosh darn "Yankee"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
To be fair I do agree with you also. I was kinda talking in general but for the most part you're right. I'm from one of the southern areas in Maryland and I will admit that the northern areas outweigh the southern ones, but I still like to throw the fact out there that the state is not strictly northern. Maybe i'm just bias, but I don't feel like no gosh darn "Yankee"
I have noticed that the southern culture of Maryland seems to be around the bay and along areas of the Delmarva. Would I be correct there?

I am curious though, how can you feel like a Yankee? What does it feel like?

I never felt like a Yankee. But people tell me I am anyway.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I have noticed that the southern culture of Maryland seems to be around the bay and along areas of the Delmarva. Would I be correct there?

I am curious though, how can you feel like a Yankee? What does it feel like?

I never felt like a Yankee. But people tell me I am anyway.
Yea that's about right. People also say that southern Maryland and western Maryland also have southern culture but i've never been to either so I wouldn't know. And to tell you the truth I figure feeling like a Yankee means solely feel like a northerner. That's actually a good question lol

Old 06-06-2011, 03:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
The Mason Dixon Line is the surveyed southern border of Pennsylvania, nothing more

Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yea that's about right. People also say that southern Maryland and western Maryland also have southern culture but i've never been to either so I wouldn't know. And to tell you the truth I figure feeling like a Yankee means solely feel like a northerner. That's actually a good question lol
Western Maryland is as southern as northern West Virginia. Which, is a mixed bag and more northerly.

I have a couple of good friends out there and they will tell you the same.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Western Maryland is as southern as northern West Virginia. Which, is a mixed bag and more northerly.

I have a couple of good friends out there and they will tell you the same.
Oh, I always wondered what it was like up there. I always figured it couldn't be too southern up there considering it's right next to south western Pennsylvania. I know people from there (SW PA) and they're not southern at all. But again that's why I just call my good ole MD a border state

Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, I always wondered what it was like up there. I always figured it couldn't be too southern up there considering it's right next to south western Pennsylvania. I know people from there (SW PA) and they're not southern at all. But again that's why I just call my good ole MD a border state
You have a valid point!

Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Quote:
I actually agree, to a degree. Maryland, West Virginia, and Missouri are especially border like. Being split rather drastically between north/south (Maryland's southerness is in very short supply however, and unlike WV and Missouri, it fits in with the north far, far more).

I would still say Delaware is solidly northern though. Even the M-D line excuse is invalid because the "line" actually excludes DE.

Kentucky is hard to call a border state. Most of the state is still geographically southern as it sits on the same lines as Virginia. I think in the case of Kentucky, the Ohio river itself is still an excellent border.
Hmmmm. Really don't think so with the West Virginia.

Welll - now that I type this, rural West Virginia - driving around, checking it out - is less Southern, or Northern, or Eastern, or Midwestern, than it's own unique mountainous thing, and whether or not you like it or choose to look down on it is your problem, not West Virginia's.

Now you could say that about the entire South, New York (city and/or state), California, Texas, but it's REALLY f#$@ing true in West Virginia, the lovely land where the satellite dish is the state flower, and if you wanna get to Heaven, you gotta raise a little Hell.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Hmmmm. Really don't think so with the West Virginia.

Welll - now that I type this, rural West Virginia - driving around, checking it out - is less Southern, or Northern, or Eastern, or Midwestern, than it's own unique mountainous thing, and whether or not you like it or choose to look down on it is your problem, not West Virginia's.

Now you could say that about the entire South, New York (city and/or state), California, Texas, but it's REALLY f#$@ing true in West Virginia, the lovely land where the satellite dish is the state flower, and if you wanna get to Heaven, you gotta raise a little Hell.
I never said I looked down on WV.

West Virginia is very much a border state. Wheeling is very northern, Charleston is very southern, and in between is a mixed bag.

Yes the state's geographical attributes are largely unique. But it's people have their similarities to neighboring areas like any other state's population would, as well as their uniqueness.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,072 times
There really is no need to argue about this. If you look at maps on Ancestry (US Census), southern speech (red line across Ancestry map from Telsur Project, Univ. PA) and the map of religion in the US, the stereotypical Mason-Dixon line is fairly intact.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.