Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Feel free to disagree/agree...most of these are kinda obvious, but I thought it'd be fun to pair the states up with their geographical/cultural twin. Yes, maybe too much time on my hands, lol...

California/Arizona
Oregon/Washington
Utah/Colorado
Idaho/Montana
Wyoming/Nebraska
New Mexico/Texas
Oklahoma/Arkansas
Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabana/Georgia
Florida/Puerto Rico (I know the latter is not a state!)
The Carolinas, obviously
The Dakotas
Missouri/Illinois
Iowa/Nebraska
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Michigan/Ohio
Virginia/West Virginia
Tennessee/Kentucky
Pennsylvania/New York
Maryland/District of Columbia
New Jersey/Delaware
Connecticut/Rhode Island
Massachusetts/Rhode Island
New Hampshire/Vermont
Maine/Vermont
Hawaii/Alaska

Yes there are a few double-ups because of the odd numbers, but I think this is more or less accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
I think NY has more in common with PR than Florida does and when I lived in NY I never really thought of PA. CT would be more of a match for NY.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:47 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I perceive a lot of differences between AL and GA. I think the average Georgian feels more of an affinity with South Carolina, since they share regional similarities in the Piedmont and Low Country. NC, on the other hand, seems to have a lot in common with VA.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
New Mexico/Texas?

Of the states surrounding Texas, I would say Oklahoma has the most in common with Texas.

New Mexico may be identical to El Paso, but it could hardly be more different than Houston or other parts of east Texas.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
NM more with the 'Wild West' Texas, but I agree there are better pairings. I also forgot Kansas that could go with either Nebraska or Oklahoma.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:03 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Feel free to disagree/agree...most of these are kinda obvious, but I thought it'd be fun to pair the states up with their geographical/cultural twin. Yes, maybe too much time on my hands, lol...

California/Arizona
Oregon/Washington
Utah/Colorado
Idaho/Montana
Wyoming/Nebraska
New Mexico/Texas
Oklahoma/Arkansas
Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabana/Georgia
Florida/Puerto Rico (I know the latter is not a state!)
The Carolinas, obviously
The Dakotas
Missouri/Illinois
Iowa/Nebraska
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Michigan/Ohio
Virginia/West Virginia
Tennessee/Kentucky
Pennsylvania/New York
Maryland/District of Columbia
New Jersey/Delaware
Connecticut/Rhode Island
Massachusetts/Rhode Island
New Hampshire/Vermont
Maine/Vermont
Hawaii/Alaska

Yes there are a few double-ups because of the odd numbers, but I think this is more or less accurate.
I wish not to be paired with Arkansas, LOL. I think the only thing Oklahoma works with is Texas on this one.

And being to both Nebraska and Iowa, I'm not so sure about that. Nebraska/Kansas would be better I think.

California/Arizona works, but Nevada could also work. Nevada/Arizona could also be one.

Spot on with Utah/Colorado. The two best states.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I will say that western Pennsylvania should belong to Ohio and eastern Pennsylvania should belong to New Jersey. They shouldn't be together because they are as different as night and day. NYC and it's suburbs should also belong to New Jersey. Except for the Philly suburbs in north Delaware, the rest of that state can go to Maryland. Western Massachusetts should go to Conneticut or Vermont. Eastern Massachusetts doesn't need it, doesn't care about it, doesn't even know about it. Eastern Massachusetts should pick up Rhode Island instead.

Last edited by bryson662001; 11-08-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Nevada more than Arizona

Old 11-08-2010, 12:22 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Anyone who knows the histories of North Carolina vs South Carolina, knows they are not even related, or at least very distantly so.

As distant as Virginia and South Carolina. Which is distant.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM

686 posts, read 1,698,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I think NY has more in common with PR than Florida does and when I lived in NY I never really thought of PA. CT would be more of a match for NY.

What? upstate NY has more in common with PA, not CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.