Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I perceive a lot of differences between AL and GA. I think the average Georgian feels more of an affinity with South Carolina, since they share regional similarities in the Piedmont and Low Country. NC, on the other hand, seems to have a lot in common with VA.
I think the state most similar to Georgia is North Carolina--and vice versa.

Virginia is like a hybrid of Maryland and North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Anyone who knows the histories of North Carolina vs South Carolina, knows they are not even related, or at least very distantly so.

As distant as Virginia and South Carolina. Which is distant.

True dis.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:09 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
True dis.
Bin fo' tru.

De gullah doem.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,998,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I perceive a lot of differences between AL and GA. I think the average Georgian feels more of an affinity with South Carolina, since they share regional similarities in the Piedmont and Low Country. NC, on the other hand, seems to have a lot in common with VA.
Georgia was settled by throw-aways from England to protect the Rice Plantations of the Lowcountry from the Spaniards.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
New Mexico/Texas?

Of the states surrounding Texas, I would say Oklahoma has the most in common with Texas.

New Mexico may be identical to El Paso, but it could hardly be more different than Houston or other parts of east Texas.
Agree totally, Bowie! Other than the trans-pecos area of Texas, very little of the other parts share any historical/cultural connection with New Mexico.

Neat thread though! Kudo's to the OP. The ones that come to mind for me are:

Texas/Oklahoma
Alabama/Mississippi
New Mexico/Arizona
Kansas/Nebraska
Tennessee/Kentucky
Georgia/South Carolina
Ohio/Indiana
North Carolina/Virginia
Colorado/Wyoming
Oregon/Washington
Massachusetts/Connecticutt
Vermont/New Hamsphire
North Dakota/South Dakota
Michigan/Wisconsin
Maryland/Delaware
Utah/Idaho
Pennsylvania/New York

Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,769,325 times
Georgia South Carolina (or perhaps Georgia, South, & North Carolina) makes more sense than Georgia- Alabama....

Alabama grew out from a gulf coast french city of mobile.

Whereas Georgia was settled by the English and early on attracted more colonists from the Carolinas and Virginia as land was opened up after pushing the indians away.

Alabama is a tough one because it is a go between Louisiana and Georgia. It has historical roots in partly being a french territory, but attracted alot of colonists from the rest of the south to the north part of the state and to fall line cities.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
I wish not to be paired with Arkansas, LOL. I think the only thing Oklahoma works with is Texas on this one.

And being to both Nebraska and Iowa, I'm not so sure about that. Nebraska/Kansas would be better I think.

California/Arizona works, but Nevada could also work. Nevada/Arizona could also be one.

Spot on with Utah/Colorado. The two best states.
I forgot Nevada...which I would actually put with CA, and put AZ with NM.

For some reason I've always paired Kansas and Oklahoma together.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Agree totally, Bowie! Other than the trans-pecos area of Texas, very little of the other parts share any historical/cultural connection with New Mexico.

Neat thread though! Kudo's to the OP. The ones that come to mind for me are:

Texas/Oklahoma
Alabama/Mississippi
New Mexico/Arizona
Kansas/Nebraska
Tennessee/Kentucky
Georgia/South Carolina
Ohio/Indiana
North Carolina/Virginia
Colorado/Wyoming
Oregon/Washington
Massachusetts/Connecticutt
Vermont/New Hamsphire
North Dakota/South Dakota
Michigan/Wisconsin
Maryland/Delaware
Utah/Idaho
Pennsylvania/New York
Thanks, yeah I now realise just because the Carolinas share the same second half of their name doesn't mean they necessarily share the most similarities. SC does have a more Piedmont/lowland centre - Charleston and even Columbia, which makes me think of Savannah and the 'Old South', while NC's large population centre are further inland and probably share a bit more in common with the upland south?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
My list:
CA/NV
TX/OK
IL/IN
NY/PA
KS/NE
WA/OR
MS/AL
GA/FL
KY/TN
AZ/NM
CO/WY

For fun:
BC/AB
SK/MB
ON/QC

Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Feel free to disagree/agree...most of these are kinda obvious, but I thought it'd be fun to pair the states up with their geographical/cultural twin. Yes, maybe too much time on my hands, lol...

California/Arizona
Oregon/Washington
Utah/Colorado
Idaho/Montana
Wyoming/Nebraska
New Mexico/Texas
Oklahoma/Arkansas
Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabana/Georgia
Florida/Puerto Rico (I know the latter is not a state!)
The Carolinas, obviously
The Dakotas
Missouri/Illinois
Iowa/Nebraska
Wisconsin/Minnesota
Michigan/Ohio
Virginia/West Virginia
Tennessee/Kentucky
Pennsylvania/New York
Maryland/District of Columbia
New Jersey/Delaware
Connecticut/Rhode Island
Massachusetts/Rhode Island
New Hampshire/Vermont
Maine/Vermont
Hawaii/Alaska

Yes there are a few double-ups because of the odd numbers, but I think this is more or less accurate.

Michigan and Ohio ????? Ughhh that could start a war ya know. Michigan and Ohio are really different and there is a long history of bad feelings there. The sports rivalry is obvious, but the two states nearly fought a real war over the toledo strip in 1835. (google it) Hating Ohio is like a state sport in Michigan, and I assume the same is true in OHio as well. Ohio state troopers regularly target Michigan drivers for tickets. Michigan is much more similar with Wisconsin than it is Ohio. Even ONtario shares more with Michigan than does Ohio. Ohio and Indiana belong together, and Michigan and Wisconsin belong together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.