Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 04:24 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
country dirt roads? what the hell are you talking about? the few roads that are dirt roads are hardly traveled and most of them are basically driveways. you never said your infrastructure was perfect because it isn't, it sucks, yet your still preaching the south on how to run its infrastructure. that's a friggin joke. what state do you live in hot shot?

so we're going to take lessons from the new york and its grimy &$# subways on how to maintain infrastructure? because last i checked those big bad taxes aren't keeping service cuts and fair hikes from the ny mta. it was all new when capitalism built it. and you want new ways to fix it? capitalism attracts the greatest most motivated minds to come up with new ideas.

nyc is not booming. noone cares about raw number growth. a city with 1 million people that gained 100,000 people isn't doing better than a city with 100,000 that gained 50,000 people. nyc is average. what keeps it afloat is wall street (the remaining capitalism left in that city) and the brand name that is new york.

Several things:

It's not clear why you're saying the infrastructure 'sucks' when it's the most heavily used, and perhaps the oldest (hence, it's not going to be super clean)

It's too black and white state how well a city is doing based purely on population numbers.

NYC is indeed booming (just not to 90's office boom standards). Wall Street doesn't just keep NY afloat, it's spread goes far beyond NYC's borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
i've driven i-90 in the middle of nowhere in the middle of new york state and i've driven some of the heaviest traffic roads in these low tax states (been to 26 states). by far, the worst roads i've seen were in mainly high tax states (including california, before you go out and use weather as an excuse). how old a system is doesn't mean much either as maintenace crews are hired to maintain old infrastructure like new. they run, yeah, most of the time, but they're nasty and nyc mta is probably facing lay offs to top that off. i know they're facing fair hikes and service cuts.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Strapped Cities Hit Nonprofits With Fees - WSJ.com

As I've said several times on this board... Failing infrastructure, and Houston was one of the first cities mentioned. The cost to repair is enormous, and taxes are rising.

So I suppose the question should be: When do Americans flee back to high-tax states? When the water rises or when their houses sink?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:

maybe if you were an average person but if you owned a business then 1% can amount to a lot of money. a lot of business have accountants and they hire accountants to try to save them as much money as possible and to pay as little taxes as possible. if you can save 1% in taxes if you move your business to texas and your business profits 10 million, you would get to keep an extra $100,000. that little 1% could hire about 2 more skilled workers with college degrees or maybe 5 unskilled laborers. or just keep the 100k and spend it and circulate it into the economy. and the savings can be much greater than 1%.
I thought this was about individual people "fleeing" because their personal taxes were too high.

If you were making $40K in the rust belt, and found that your state and local taxes would be $400 a year lower in the sunbelt, would you put your house on the market and try to sell it, and quit your job in which you have seniority, and take your kids out of school, and have your wife quit her job too, and pay a moving company to move all your stuff 2,000 miles, and buy a house when you got there, plus realtor's commission, just to save $400 a year?

The guy in the video didn't even blame taxes, primarily. He placed the blame on Unions, which is why the Fox News union-busters gave him a soapbox in the first place, to endorse the Fox News mantra. Remember how all the Reagan lapdogs in the "liberal media" praised the establishment of Solidarity, the union movement in Poland, which led to the downfall of communism? And now, with the other fork of their lying tongue, unions are all of a sudden such a destructive idea which leads to the downfall of corporate empires and their laundered offshore profits, when the big corporations drag the rest of the country down into the crapper along with them.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-27-2010 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-26-2010, 11:38 PM

254 posts, read 653,438 times
Funny, I don't even consider taxes when moving. I care more about quality of life.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:55 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Strapped Cities Hit Nonprofits With Fees - WSJ.com

As I've said several times on this board... Failing infrastructure, and Houston was one of the first cities mentioned. The cost to repair is enormous, and taxes are rising.

So I suppose the question should be: When do Americans flee back to high-tax states? When the water rises or when their houses sink?
Are you psychologically insane or are you trying to find happiness by copping out only the information it takes to make your case? You're absolutely a disgusting minded person thinking of an impending doom for a city and making a joke out of that.

Read what you're article says, and this is an excerpt from the link you provided:
Quote:
Facing budget gaps and an aversion to new debt and taxes, states and local governments are slapping residents with an array of new fees—and some are applying them to nonprofits.
The city has been tightening its budget. "We're cutting up the city's credit cards," says Mayor Annise Parker. "Everyone who contributes to drainage issues has to share in the cost of correcting those issues."
The country is in a recession, there is NO STATE in the country going out building luxury level roads and infrastructure projects for road networks on extensive federal money to that extent right now. And you want to cop out how Texas has a budget deficit issue affecting the repairment of what's already above average road network especially compared to where you live.

Here why don't you take a look at the cities that have the largest budget deficits, and notice how Houston isn't ranked because its still doing better than where ever you hail from.

New York, NY
Deficit through June 2012: $2 billion
Budget in FY2010: $63.1 billion

Washington, DC
Deficit through September 2012: $688 million
Budget in FY2011: $8.89 billion

Chicago, IL
Deficit through December 2011: $654 million Closed
Budget in FY2010: $6.8 billion

Los Angeles, CA
Deficit through June 2012: $438 million
Budget in FY2011: $6.7 billion

San Francisco, CA
Deficit through June 2012: $380 million
Budget in FY2011: $6.55 billion

Honolulu, HI
Deficit through June 2012: $100 million
Budget in FY2011: $1.8 billion

Detroit, MI
Deficit through June 2011: $85 million
Budget in FY2011: $3.1 billion

San Jose, CA
Deficit through June 2012: $90 million
Budget in FY2010: $2.7 billion

San Diego, CA
Deficit through June 2012 : $73 million
Budget in FY2011: $2.85 billion

Cincinnati, OH
Deficit through December 2012: $60 million
Biennial budget FY2009/2010: $2.5 billion

Newark, NJ
Deficit through December 2011: $30.5 million
Budget in FY2010: $677 million

Reading, PA
Deficit through December 2011: $7.5 million
Budget in FY2010: $120 million

Joliet, IL
Deficit through December 2011: $21 million
Budget in FY2010: $274 million

Camden, NJ
Deficit through December 2011: $26.5 million
Budget in FY2010: $178 million

Hamtramck, MI
Deficit through June 2012: $4.7 million
Budget in FY2011: $18 million

Central Falls, RI
Deficit through June 2012: $7 million
Budget in FY2011: $21 million

Paterson, NJ
Deficit through December 2011: $54 million
Budget for FY2010: $225 million

Source: 16 u.s. cities that could face bankruptcy in 2011: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Old 12-27-2010, 07:09 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Are you psychologically insane or are you trying to find happiness by copping out only the information it takes to make your case? You're absolutely a disgusting minded person thinking of an impending doom for a city and making a joke out of that.

Read what you're article says, and this is an excerpt from the link you provided:

The country is in a recession, there is NO STATE in the country going out building luxury level roads and infrastructure projects for road networks on extensive federal money to that extent right now. And you want to cop out how Texas has a budget deficit issue affecting the repairment of what's already above average road network especially compared to where you live.

Here why don't you take a look at the cities that have the largest budget deficits, and notice how Houston isn't ranked because its still doing better than where ever you hail from.

New York, NY
Deficit through June 2012: $2 billion
Budget in FY2010: $63.1 billion

Washington, DC
Deficit through September 2012: $688 million
Budget in FY2011: $8.89 billion

Chicago, IL
Deficit through December 2011: $654 million Closed
Budget in FY2010: $6.8 billion

Los Angeles, CA
Deficit through June 2012: $438 million
Budget in FY2011: $6.7 billion

San Francisco, CA
Deficit through June 2012: $380 million
Budget in FY2011: $6.55 billion

Honolulu, HI
Deficit through June 2012: $100 million
Budget in FY2011: $1.8 billion

Detroit, MI
Deficit through June 2011: $85 million
Budget in FY2011: $3.1 billion

San Jose, CA
Deficit through June 2012: $90 million
Budget in FY2010: $2.7 billion

San Diego, CA
Deficit through June 2012 : $73 million
Budget in FY2011: $2.85 billion

Cincinnati, OH
Deficit through December 2012: $60 million
Biennial budget FY2009/2010: $2.5 billion

Newark, NJ
Deficit through December 2011: $30.5 million
Budget in FY2010: $677 million

Reading, PA
Deficit through December 2011: $7.5 million
Budget in FY2010: $120 million

Joliet, IL
Deficit through December 2011: $21 million
Budget in FY2010: $274 million

Camden, NJ
Deficit through December 2011: $26.5 million
Budget in FY2010: $178 million

Hamtramck, MI
Deficit through June 2012: $4.7 million
Budget in FY2011: $18 million

Central Falls, RI
Deficit through June 2012: $7 million
Budget in FY2011: $21 million

Paterson, NJ
Deficit through December 2011: $54 million
Budget for FY2010: $225 million

Source: 16 u.s. cities that could face bankruptcy in 2011: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance
Wow, Houston is pretty good about debts
I can see DC has a larger budget than LA LA is much larger, it's impressive for DC (the good economic health helps )

----------------------------------------------
Taxes trigger a Texodus in New York

New York lost $846 million in personal income to Texas - NYPOST.com

The Lone Star State is scooping up more than just our congressional seats -- some $846 million in personal income shifted from New York to Texas in an eight-year period during the last decade, according to an analysis of IRS tax returns.
Texas, which has no state or local income taxes and an enviably low cost of living, has been steadily poaching New Yorkers since the '90s, according to data from the Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan tax research organization based in Washington.
From 2000 to 2008, more than $846 million in personal income moved from New York to Texas -- with more than $212 million leaving in 2006 and '07.

New York lost an estimated $38.4 billion in personal income to other states in that same time period, while Texas gained roughly $12.2 billion from migration.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:00 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Wow, Houston is pretty good about debts
I can see DC has a larger budget than LA LA is much larger, it's impressive for DC (the good economic health helps )

----------------------------------------------
Taxes trigger a Texodus in New York

New York lost $846 million in personal income to Texas - NYPOST.com

The Lone Star State is scooping up more than just our congressional seats -- some $846 million in personal income shifted from New York to Texas in an eight-year period during the last decade, according to an analysis of IRS tax returns.
Texas, which has no state or local income taxes and an enviably low cost of living, has been steadily poaching New Yorkers since the '90s, according to data from the Tax Foundation, a nonpartisan tax research organization based in Washington.
From 2000 to 2008, more than $846 million in personal income moved from New York to Texas -- with more than $212 million leaving in 2006 and '07.

New York lost an estimated $38.4 billion in personal income to other states in that same time period, while Texas gained roughly $12.2 billion from migration.

I wonder how many of these people are unemployed, are getting benefits, just use Texas in terms of an address alone and other factors involved that weren't mentioned in this very short article?

Old 12-27-2010, 08:02 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I thought this was about individual people "fleeing" because their personal taxes were too high.

If you were making $40K in the rust belt, and found that your state and local taxes would be $400 a year lower in the sunbelt, would you put your house on the market and try to sell it, and quit your job in which you have seniority, and take your kids out of school, and have your wife quit her job too, and pay a moving company to move all your stuff 2,000 miles, and buy a house when you got there, plus realtor's commission, just to save $400 a year?

The guy in the video didn't even blame taxes, primarily. He placed the blame on Unions, which is why the Fox News union-busters gave him a soapbox in the first place, to endorse the Fox News mantra. Remember how all the Reagan lapdogs in the "liberal media" praised the establishment of Solidarity, the union movement in Poland, which led to the downfall of communism? And now, with the other fork of their lying tongue, unions are all of a sudden such a destructive idea which leads to the downfall of corporate empires and their laundered offshore profits, when the big corporations drag the rest of the country down into the crapper along with them.
individual people go where the jobs go. if 2 jobs are opening up in dallas because a company wanted to save 1% to hire 2 new workers, then people will follow that job. you also have people who'd like to pay no state income tax. new york state income tax is what, almost 7%? texas has no state income tax. if you make $50,000 you'd save about $3,500 per year. in 18 years, you'd have about $63,000 saved. that could go toward your kid's college.

as for the second part, i wasn't born during the raegan era so i wouldn't know much about what people supported what back then but i know i'm against what unions are now.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
individual people go where the jobs go. if 2 jobs are opening up in dallas because a company wanted to save 1% to hire 2 new workers, then people will follow that job. you also have people who'd like to pay no state income tax. new york state income tax is what, almost 7%? texas has no state income tax. if you make $50,000 you'd save about $3,500 per year. in 18 years, you'd have about $63,000 saved. that could go toward your kid's college.

as for the second part, i wasn't born during the raegan era so i wouldn't know much about what people supported what back then but i know i'm against what unions are now.
What about other possible taxes that NY might not have or at as high of a rate? What about the cost of housing and other costs outside of taxes too? Taxes are just an aspect of costs and there are other things to consider as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.