Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 03:03 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
potato salad is terrible as is corn bread.
i already said what i had to say about collard greens and turnip greens.
fried chicken IMO isn't soul food.
macaroni and cheese is in the center of a venn diagram with it crossing cultures or whatever. i feel like it shouldn't ONLY be in the category of soul food.

@ the thought of turkey necks.
EEK, People from NYC eat soul food homey. Point blank. Every sunday in projects throughout the BK, black mothers and grandmothers throw down. I have spent too many summers in Brooklyn for you to tell me otherwise. People replaced neckbones with turkey necks to season their greens. Are you black? This is black cooking 101.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Quote:
i promise you that ppl outside of harlem aren't getting on one train and transferring to another just to eat soul food at a restaurant in harlem, lol. the commute would be ridiculous.

and again, soul food isn't as big in ny as it is in the south, period.

i don't hear it either, to be honest.

we eat the same food other americans do. its not as if without soul food black ppl would starve.

lol its the year 2011 for me...anybody else??

i say massah says to us here'n that we is allowed to eat normal food in the house na and eat at da table. na hush yo mouf befo he changes his mind.

shhhhh

*wide eyed*
i's heres him a'comin!

Slim,

Of course we eat food like other ethnicities. Nobody eats soul food everyday. It's too rich and heavy. I love pasta and maranara sauce. I like beans and rice and red snapper but there are occassions when it's time to throw down some home cooking that only grandma can do and that's soul food. Stop running from your roots. All soul food is not about pork homey. Most black people who eat a bit healthier have replaced their pork with turkey bacon, turkey chops, turkey and chicken sausage, turkey necks for flavoring. I cut the pig out of my life in 95.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
i'm black and i'm from ny. you?
you visiting ny doesn't mean that you qualify to speak about what goes on in ny, sorry.

i visit an asian friend in flushing every weekend. we eat chinese every sunday...therefore every asian in ny eats chinese on sunday. slim. nice logic.

lol @ spending summers in the projects with one family in ny equaling being born and raised in ny.
lol @ the thought of black ppl in the projects in bk = all black ppl in ny
lol @ the thought of "running from my roots" because i won't eat inferior parts of a pig/cow.

n word please.

most black ppl and ppl in general that eat a lot of soul food have high blood pressure and diabetes. fact. its part of the reason so many black ppl have these issues later on in life (and sometimes early on in life). fried and fatty foods are a problem.

we should think better of ourselves, IMO.

and stay in dc. all that throw down, and down home cooking and my gran mama put her foot in this and that...red beans with the poke chop and fat back with some sweet tea...
thats "ya'lls" stuff. we don't do that like that here.

i never said that black ppl in ny don't eat soul food at all period because ny has a lil bit of everything. what i specifically said was that we don't eat it in the abundance that you eat it down south, and we don't. end of story.

Last edited by eek; 05-03-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM

418 posts, read 809,700 times
Eek, u are speaking for A LOT of people with those statements, are u sure that u r the majority? And are u sure most people down eat soul food in abundance??

Old 05-03-2011, 05:03 PM

177 posts, read 405,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
People in NY eat soul food. Silvia's in Harlem is a huge soul food spot. Soul food isn't guts or sh&t like that. Most younger black people don't eat chitterlings or pig feet. I think that's generational. But everybody eats fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, greens with turkey necks, potato salad, corn bread, etc..
In the South we do. Yall call em chitterlings, we call em chitlins.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM

177 posts, read 405,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
EEK, People from NYC eat soul food homey. Point blank. Every sunday in projects throughout the BK, black mothers and grandmothers throw down. I have spent too many summers in Brooklyn for you to tell me otherwise. People replaced neckbones with turkey necks to season their greens. Are you black? This is black cooking 101.
Tastes so much better with ham shank & some bacon grease!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincerly Hope View Post
This is a D.C. video:

Video: Skinny Jean KO! This Young Dude Got Hands! (Knocks Some Kid Wearing Capri's Out In Under A Minute!)

That is EXACTLY how they wear capris in Bmore and Philly.
Ok not to change the direction of this thread, but those boys can not fight esp. dude with the green polo lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
They funny thing is that I never even mentioned NYC so how am I tryna make Philly seem like NYC? Your just speaking nonsense. Philly has a different identity from NYC although there are similarities between two. At the end of the day Philly and b-more are very different. Oh BTW "timberland field boots and capris" Lmao I'm starting to think the last time you been up to Philly was 2003 or your just lying. Yall still might wear that bs down in b-more but we don't wear that sh*t up here. Ask your average black Philadelphian if they wear capris and those timbs they would tell you F**k no. Most likely they would wear polo boots and clothing, some stuff from h&m and various Nike sneaks (air max, kobes, etc) Adidas jackets, and ugg boots ( I think they are horrible) etc. Trust me yo, I know what's poppin in MY city.
perfect example of how Philly has some southern influence in its AA population

Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
OMG, yall still going on about soulfood?

point blank, most black people period, no matter what region they are from, don't eat a lot of stuff thats "soul food"

eek, since when is Maccaroni and cheese not "soul food" and fried chicken as well? just because its universal doesn't mean its not soul food

Old 05-03-2011, 06:18 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
Eek, u are speaking for A LOT of people with those statements, are u sure that u r the majority? And are u sure most people down eat soul food in abundance??
Well, unlike some of the ppl posting here, I've lived in both the north and the south. I'm not going by what I saw when I visited. I'm going by what I saw when I lived in the south vs what it's like living in the north.

Also, I don't see how it'd be reaching in the slightest to suggest that southerners eat a food that originated in the south more than us here. Come on.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Well, unlike some of the ppl posting here, I've lived in both the north and the south. I'm not going by what I saw when I visited. I'm going by what I saw when I lived in the south vs what it's like living in the north.

Also, I don't see how it'd be reaching in the slightest to suggest that southerners eat a food that originated in the south more than us here. Come on.

and I'm telling you from somebody else who has lived both north and south, that all southern people don't eat chitlins, hogmaws, pigs feet etc. I knew way more people who ate fast food, typical american and other ethnic food, esp caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.