Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which major U.S. city has the most racist population?
New York 14 7.78%
L.A. 19 10.56%
Chicago 60 33.33%
Houston 20 11.11%
Boston 46 25.56%
Miami 21 11.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,718 times

Advertisements

I don't agree that Chicago's racism is geared mainly towards blacks. Historically this true, obviously, but I'd say now Hispanics are experiencing more and more racism. Obviously there is a fair amount of racism towards black people in Chicago, but it's not like every racist white person in Chicago hates solely black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:33 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Chicago's particular brand of racism is interesting in the respect, it's almost entirely geared towards blacks.

It seems like an integrated city for all other minorities, except blacks. Take Woodfield Mall for example in Schaumburg, has shoppers from all over the Chicagoland area, but you will rarely see many blacks there.

You'll see lots of every race, except black. I'm only using that as example, but it seems to be true across the board, unless you are in a black neighborhood.
This seems to be a trend played out in many places. African Americans are more on the margins of society compared to other ethnic groups.

Even on the west coast the most affluent areas are typically white and Asian. You do not see many African Americans. It troubles me that African Americans continue to be at the bottom of the socioeconomic ladder.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:16 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Segregated might be easier to judge.

Where Are the Top 10 Most Segregated Cities? - TIME NewsFeed
The 22 Most Segregated Cities In America
America's 10 Most Segregated Cities
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...tion-over.html

Going by that I'd think Detroit and Milwaukee are possibly the tops. Long Island I think was named "Most segregated once" and as it's in the NYC-metro I guess NYC is a possibility of the ones listed. That and Chicago I guess.

Whether the most segregated is also the most racist I don't know. For that I might guess towns that are high in elderly whites. Not that elderly-whites are racist, but they tend to be more likely to be racist. I'm not sure I find a "major city" that's particularly elderly and white though. Maybe Tampa-St. Petersburg is kind of close, but I don't know if it's that white or particularly racist.

I guess another possibility would be cities that gave Obama less support than Kerry. I find that even more problematic in a way, but I guess it's something. Unfortunately doing that I don't seem to get anything. Unless you'd accept Lafayette, Louisiana or Fort Smith, Arkansas as "major" and I'm guessing you wouldn't.

President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

Last edited by Thomas R.; 10-11-2011 at 12:32 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,411,413 times
How about racism against whites? Which cities do you think suffers the most from anti-white racism?

Old 10-11-2011, 12:56 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
The most racism I've witnessed first hand was in Baltimore. Now it may just be that I've had a few bad visits, but I've had a few different cab drivers spewing the "N" word left and right (these cab drivers were all Indian, by the way; not white). I've also had a hostess at a nice restaurant make racist comments about African Americans and witnessed one hotel employee berate (complete with racial slurs) an African American woman dressed for a night out (clearly not a hooker/crackhead/trouble maker) who just wanted to use the restroom in the lobby. This was a nice, major chain hotel located at the Inner Harbor.

Again, this doesn't say anything about the city of Baltimore other than that I've just witnessed a few jerks (to be clear, the VAST majority of people in Baltimore were great.... we're talking about .000001% that were racist). However, I've never seen such open racism anywhere. Not with that frequency, at least.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:01 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
detroit and NO, the current condition is the result of segregation and racism but there are no wasps there.
why keep looking for the wasps to clean up their act, they have.
wana see racism, dont watch old movies "heat of the night". go down to the corner store. see how koreans are treated on the hood.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,756,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I'll be honest, I dont agree with alot of your posts and I find them annoying, but I gotta agree with this 100%. There are a few exceptions to the rule though. When people say Chicago is the most segregated city they ussually mean blacks vs. Everyone else.

As far as Woodfeild Mall is concerned that just reflects the deographics of the area. Thw NW side/NW burbs are mostly White, Asian, and Latino. Very few blacks.

Edit:With all that said, This doesn't mean every single white person in Chicago is a racist.

mas23
I'm only using Woodfield as an example. I do think it's the "main" shopping center for Chicagoland and attracts people from even the city, especially in winter. I've always found it strange how diverse Chicago is, but how the black population is still generally segregated.

Hispanics can be found in large numbers from Waukegan to Aurora, to Hammond, IN. It's not that way with blacks for some reason in Chicagoland.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 AM

52 posts, read 130,759 times
I'm not sure which major city it is but I think it's all about personal preference in this situation. Most folks want to live where they're comfortable with their own race and some folks want to live where it's a lot of diversity.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
detroit and NO, the current condition is the result of segregation and racism but there are no wasps there.
why keep looking for the wasps to clean up their act, they have.
wana see racism, dont watch old movies "heat of the night". go down to the corner store. see how koreans are treated on the hood.
Was in Boyz in the Hood when the gang went into the liquor store and shot the Korean owners? Or another gang-related movie.

I met a guy from Chicago who swore like a sailor and used alot of racial epiphets, but he's just one guy. His background was Italian.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
How about racism against whites? Which cities do you think suffers the most from anti-white racism?
Except for the end I wasn't meaning to be specific. "Segregated" cities could go both ways.

Chicago is apparently headquarters of the "Nation of Islam." Although Farrakhan once invited white-supremacist Tom Metzger to speak at an event, in part, because they both hate Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.