Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do some people view the south as rural and the northeast as urban
Ignorance-They haven't traveled or studied enough to know otherwise. Plus, the media feeds them this belief. 35 71.43%
They've traveled enough, but they allow their prejudices to cloud reality. The media reinforces their prejudice. 14 28.57%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
the south. there ya go.
making sense, you are not

oh and to whomever the spineless slimeball who sent me the haterep, I made a joke about Austin people, that did not have anything to do with the city, so what the heck are you repping me telling me to read the article for? The joke has nothing to do with the article. You are acting so smart and yet you can't get a simple joke? Anyway the hate Rep is always welcome. Keep em coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurbyThug View Post
There very spread out. A large portion, maybe even a majority of west atlanta resembles a giant rural small town.

You've obviously never been to West Atlanta. No where in NW or SW Atlanta looks like a small rural town. Not even close, try again.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
You've obviously never been to West Atlanta. No where in NW or SW Atlanta looks like a small rural town. Not even close, try again.
I think what is more likely is that they have never been to a rural area.

If they would they would not call the rural area a town.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Lol, I guess, Cairo, Babylon, Tokyo, London, etc were not big cities before they got subways, even though they had millions of people.

A city is where commerce was centered. Where farmers met to sell goods, and people offered services. It has nothing to do with modern, northeastern nonsense about subways.
That's what I wanted to say.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Lol, I guess, Cairo, Babylon, Tokyo, London, etc were not big cities before they got subways, even though they had millions of people.

A city is where commerce was centered. Where farmers met to sell goods, and people offered services. It has nothing to do with modern, northeastern nonsense about subways.
I agree with your sentiment but Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, and Miami all have subways and are all in the "The South" even though people always constantly try to pull DC, Baltimore, and Miami out of the South. I can understand DC and Baltimore, but Miami is just bizarre to me. but that's a thread for a different day.

Last edited by waronxmas; 12-19-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 08:02 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The thing with arguing that a state is more rural and identifying populations as rural verses urban/suburban is that it doesn't take into context the fact that the south's rural landscape is much more settled than other regions of the country.

The west's rural areas are practically uninhabited. Hence, you're going to have more people and a greater percentage of the population who live in urban areas. Places like western states, such as California, are over ninety percent urban because the government owns most undeveloped land, and because much of it is nearly uninhabitable (such as the Mojave). As a result, people live where they can, which is near the urban centers. It is the few parcels available for private developers to develop.

In the northeast, the small size of the region, relative the south, along with the megalopolis and other more isolated cities, coupled with larger county sizes, means that a larger share of the region's population will be considered "urban", even if a lot of the people classified as "urban" live in rural areas themselves.
The South is consistently more rural than the Northeast. And your contention that a lot of people classified as "urban" live in rural areas is hogwash. The definition of "rural" is consistently applied, whether someone lives in the South or in New England. Hence, Vermont's high rural population. The South is consistently more rural than the Northeast, no matter how you slice, dice, or butcher it.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree with your sentiment but Atlanta, DC, Baltimore, and Miami all have subways and are all in the "The South" even though people always constantly try to pull DC, Baltimore, and Miami out of the South. I can understand DC and Baltimore, but Miami is just bizarre to me. but that's a thread for a different day.
well, hun I am not saying that all the subways are in the northeast, you know me better than that, I am saying it is the northeasterners that are delusional about what a city is. In other words, my sentence "The northeastern nonsense about subways" doesn't mean that only ne states have subways, it means that only NE people think that a city isn't a city without a subway.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:19 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The South is consistently more rural than the Northeast. And your contention that a lot of people classified as "urban" live in rural areas is hogwash. The definition of "rural" is consistently applied, whether someone lives in the South or in New England. Hence, Vermont's high rural population. The South is consistently more rural than the Northeast, no matter how you slice, dice, or butcher it.
You're obviously unaware of how they calculate the rural vs. non-rural figures.

On the whole, true, the south is probably a bit more "rural" than the northeast, but this has to do with a couple of factors:

1) The northeast is relatively small, and much of the area is taken up by the string of cities known as the megalopolis.

2) Counties in the northeast are a bit larger than those in most southern states. Given this, counties are more likely to be "pulled" into a metro area as it would only take a more populated sliver of a county's land area to offset commuting patterns. Remember, it is commuting patterns that determine which counties belong to an MSA. Some New England states determine this differently than the rest of the country, but the other northeastern states, such as New York and Pennsylvania, use the same method as everywhere else. If a county has a certain threshold of people commuting into a core metro county, they are added to the metro. Take a very rural county that perhaps is only suburbanized in a relatively small area of the county, but of which is closest to the mass of the built up area. That whole county can get sucked into the metro area, and the corresponding population of the county, much of it rural, and perhaps a majority, can get "carried along for the ride", becoming known as official residents of the MSA, and hence, non-rural dwellers.

Since the northeast's counties are larger, most counties are within a relatively short distance to some built-up area of a metropolitan area. This is why all but a small percentage of counties in the northeast (non-New England) are considered metropolitan, and why all but Northern New England only have relatively small rural populations. With New England, it's a product of using the person per square mile urbanized area approach to metro areas, unlike counties used in other places. Hence, a place like Vermont, Maine, and New Hampshire will not only have a higher rural population because of being farther away from cities, but also because whole counties don't get included like they do in other parts of the northeast.

The South's counties are smaller, particularly Georgia, so there are lots of counties that don't touch urbanized areas as easily as they would be if the counties were two to three sizes larger. Therefore, a greater percentage of the rural population will not be "sucked" into a metropolitan area and will therefore not be known wrongly as "non-rural".

Last edited by Stars&StripesForever; 12-20-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:25 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
well, hun I am not saying that all the subways are in the northeast, you know me better than that, I am saying it is the northeasterners that are delusional about what a city is. In other words, my sentence "The northeastern nonsense about subways" doesn't mean that only ne states have subways, it means that only NE people think that a city isn't a city without a subway.
It's just that in modern times, underground rail is widely considered to be the "holy grail" of public transit for cities across the world. Walkability would be the better measure though.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You're obviously unaware of how they calculate the rural vs. non-rural figures.
I'm aware of how they calculate those figures. As long as the standard is applied consistently, I don't see any problem. You either think the standard shouldn't be applied consistently, or that there is something wrong with the standard. But just because you argue that the South is more urban and the Northeast more rural, doesn't make it so. ANY standard measurement of urban lifestyles is going to find that the Northeast is more urban than the South, as long as that standard is consistently applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.