Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
"Hella" started in parts of the Bay Area and spread, but it's still more a NorCal thing than Southern California and it's popular in certain regions over others. When I was a kid in Santa Cruz in the late 90s, firmly in Northern California or the Central Coast, saying "hella" was a good way to be identified as not from Santa Cruz--you'd get made fun of and occasionally get your ass kicked. "Hella" was something people from "Over-the-Hill" or "the Valley" said. My cousins from the Sacramento Valley would always overuse "hella" on the other hand.

When I went to college in Oregon, I thought it funny that all the kids from Idaho and some from Washington and Oregon were saying "hella"...
One of my best friends is from Orange County and the word "hella" annoys her like I've never seen anything else annoy her. Seriously, she goes mad when she hears it. It totally is a Northern CA thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 12:02 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I spent 12 years in Nebraska, never heard anyone say warsh or ruff, and rarely heard crick. And nasal sounding? Not really. Seriously, I have lived in both areas and they really do speak and sound about the same.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
If you hear a west coaster saying warsh, theres a pretty good chance they came from OH. I still say warsh after being in CA 60+ years.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:22 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I spent 12 years in Nebraska, never heard anyone say warsh or ruff, and rarely heard crick. And nasal sounding? Not really. Seriously, I have lived in both areas and they really do speak and sound about the same.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
In comparison to what I'm used to hearing in So Cal. Those accents are sort of nasal sounding compared to the flatter voices I typically hear out here. Theres a ton of Nebraskans who settled in So Cal. And I can tell their accents from the younger generations here easily. One of the former mayors of LA was born in Nebraska, and he had a nasally type accent. His pronunciation of Los Angeles was hilarious.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:42 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
One of my best friends is from Orange County and the word "hella" annoys her like I've never seen anything else annoy her. Seriously, she goes mad when she hears it. It totally is a Northern CA thing.
...and East Bay, at that. You won't hear "hella" in San Francisco much, if at all. I heard it quite a bit across the bridge, though.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Tell them to say Cot and Caught. If they are pronounced the same. They are most likely from the West Coast.
or Eastern New England.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Putting "the" in front of the name of numbered highway or Interstate: The 101, The 5, The 90, etc.....

Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
...and then, not really in The City. East Bay is "hella" country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
...and East Bay, at that. You won't hear "hella" in San Francisco much, if at all. I heard it quite a bit across the bridge, though.

You couldn't be more wrong. I'll tell you who doesn't say it as much: older people and transplants (i find it eventually invades many transplants' vocabulary to some degree though ). But natives, especially those in the middle class and lower classes say it all the time. Non stop. And in SF they say it as much as anywhere else in the Bay Area or Nor Cal. Hella people in SF say it hella times in any given day. That's hella times over hella days, thus hella use of the word hella. It's a hella versatile word, and you're hella wrong. No one knows where exactly the word originated, but some will claim that it even came from SF originally (while others will claim Oakland, etc, etc). You're a relatively recent SF transplant aren't you? I mean damn, even my 1970s era SF transplant, middle-class, 60 year-old mother says it from time to time. Most people I knew growing up in SF said "hella", and most non-old people I know now who are from SF say "hella".

Last edited by rah; 09-04-2013 at 07:41 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

You couldn't be more wrong. I'll tell you who doesn't say it as much: older people and transplants (i find it eventually invades many transplants' vocabulary to some degree though ). But natives, especially those in the middle class and lower classes say it all the time. Non stop. And in SF they say it as much as anywhere else in the Bay Area or Nor Cal. Hella people in SF say it hella times in any given day. That's hella times over hella days, thus hella use of the word hella. It's a hella versatile word, and you're hella wrong. No one knows where exactly the word originated, but some will claim that it even came from SF originally (while others will claim Oakland, etc, etc). You're a relatively recent SF transplant aren't you? I mean damn, even my 1970s era SF transplant, middle-class, 60 year-old mother says it from time to time. Most people I knew growing up in SF said "hella", and most non-old people I know now who are from SF say "hella".
I just know that I don't hear it in my daily life in San Francisco, and I did hear it often living in the East Bay.

Your assessment that transplants don't use it could be reflected in the realization that San Francisco of 2013, particularly the northeastern quarter of the City where I live and work, is made up of largely transplants and professionals, which may account for my lack of exposure to the term. I confess I'm not as well acquainted with the customs out in the Avenues or down in Visitacion Valley, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.