Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And the record high levels are nowhere near 100% yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummmm.....no group's record high levels come anywhere close to 100%--Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women, etc. Nowhere close. The overall voter turnout for the 2008 election was 63%; for Blacks, it was above that, 68%--still a far cry from 100%. And CNN doesn't break down voters by race.
LOOK ABOVE YOU! I said the record high levels are nowhere near 100% yet, and in your statement you just agreed with me. So what was the point you were trying to get across? Please read thoroughly before posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Ummmm.....no group's record high levels come anywhere close to 100%--Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women, etc. Nowhere close. The overall voter turnout for the 2008 election was 63%; for Blacks, it was above that, 68%--still a far cry from 100%. And CNN doesn't break down voters by race.

Here, more knowledge for ya:
Among the states in which exit polls were conducted, Obama won the lowest percentage of the white vote in the state with the highest percentage of black voters. That state was the ever-reliable Mississippi, where Romney made his famous “I like grits” comment. Thirty-six percent of the voters in Mississippi are black. Obama won a mere 10 percent of the white vote there.

Conversely, Obama won one of his highest percentages of white voters in the state with the fewest minority voters: Maine. Ninety-five percent of Maine’s voters were white, and 57 percent of them voted for Obama. That ties with one other state for the highest percent of whites voting for Obama: Massachusetts, where 86 percent of the voters are white.

In fact, Obama won the white vote only in states with small minority voting populations. The others Obama won were Iowa (93 percent white), New Hampshire (93 percent white), Oregon (88 percent white), Connecticut (79 percent white) and Washington State (76 percent white).

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/op...data-dive.html
You just really don't have a clue how this stuff works, do you?
So 10% of the whites in Mississippi voted for Obama ehh?

Mitt Romney 56% 674,302
Barack Obama 43% 528,560

Population of Mississippi is 2,978,512
Blacks make up 37.3% of that population which equals out to 1,110,984

You say 63% of blacks voted, that equals out to 699,921.

Which means that 411,063 blacks in Mississippi did not vote.

Obama lost by 145,742 votes in Mississippi.

Now, all 411,063 of the blacks who did not vote may not have been of the age 18 or older, but I damn well bet that at least 145,743 of them were voting eligible. [If 100% of the blacks came out to vote in Mississippi, Obama could have won it. Do you see the point now?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
LOOK ABOVE YOU! I said the record high levels are nowhere near 100% yet, and in your statement you just agreed with me. So what was the point you were trying to get across? Please read thoroughly before posting.
My point is that NOBODY'S record high levels will be anywhere close to 100%. They never are in countries that don't have compulsory voting. Your expectations here are unrealistic.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
So 10% of the whites in Mississippi voted for Obama ehh?

Mitt Romney 56% 674,302
Barack Obama 43% 528,560

Population of Mississippi is 2,978,512
Blacks make up 37.3% of that population which equals out to 1,110,984

You say 63% of blacks voted, that equals out to 699,921.

Which means that 411,063 blacks in Mississippi did not vote.

Obama lost by 145,742 votes in Mississippi.

Now, all 411,063 of the blacks who did not vote may not have been of the age 18 or older, but I damn well bet that at least 145,743 of them were voting eligible. [If 100% of the blacks came out to vote in Mississippi, Obama could have won it. Do you see the point now?
Where did I say that????

Your thinking here is so utterly simplistic until it's a shame. You obviously don't know that eligibility to vote is based on more than just age; in Mississippi, anyone who's ever been convicted of murder, rape, bribery, theft, arson, obtaining goods or money under false pretense, perjury, forgery, bigamy or embezzlement loses the right to vote. Neither are you considering practical factors, like the institutionalized population and those physically unable to vote.

In short, you really have no point. Your numbers lack context in the most horrible way.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
...was 63%; for Blacks, it was above that...
Capiche?

So over 400,000 blacks in Mississippi are either under the age of 18 or are convicted criminals. I get it now.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Capiche?

So over 400,000 blacks in Mississippi are either under the age of 18 or are convicted criminals. I get it now.
You have serious reading comprehension problems. I said, "The overall voter turnout for the 2008 election was 63%." The key word there is OVERALL, meaning the national turnout rate. I don't know what it was for Mississippi in particular.

And I wasn't exhaustive in the reasons I gave why every single solitary person over the age of 18 doesn't vote; that much should have been obvious. You have legal residents who aren't actually residing in the state during elections and don't complete absentee ballots for whatever reason(s), you have individuals who are institutionalized (hospitals, mental facilities), you have those who don't vote due to religious convictions or just plain apathy, those who encounter barriers to registering or voting on election day, etc. I mean seriously dude, are you even capable of engaging in just a little bit of critical thinking here? Why does every simple and single little thing have to be spelled out for you?

No matter how you try and twist it, Blacks alone aren't nearly enough to make Deep South states swing states. You've got to be completely ignorant of sociopolitical factors to believe that, which it seems you are.

At any rate, we've gone off on a huge tangent here. Your original and intended questions have been answered multiple times.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
The reason Northern states abolished slavery was because it would keep blacks out of their states. Free blacks living in the north had to abide by black codes and were denied the rights of citizens. States like TN, AR, NC during the Civil War were called Border States. Their economies didn't have as much reliance on Slaves.
In the 1850's English Journalist,Charles MacKay manager of the The London Illustrate News, found antipathy toward Blacks stronger in the North than it was in the south. Tocqueville also found racial prejudice stronger in the states that had abolished slavery. During the Civil Rights movement Andrew Young always said nothing in the South prepared them for the bigotry in the North.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
If you think it's so simple, answer it, because there are still several exceptions to this. Tennessee, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Virginia all have much smaller black populations than the deep south states.
It's very simple - wherever you had plantations you had lots of black. Wherever else, even within the South (see mountain states like Arkansas or most of Tennessee) you hadn't.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The reason Northern states abolished slavery was because it would keep blacks out of their states. Free blacks living in the north had to abide by black codes and were denied the rights of citizens. States like TN, AR, NC during the Civil War were called Border States. Their economies didn't have as much reliance on Slaves.
In the 1850's English Journalist,Charles MacKay manager of the The London Illustrate News, found antipathy toward Blacks stronger in the North than it was in the south. Tocqueville also found racial prejudice stronger in the states that had abolished slavery. During the Civil Rights movement Andrew Young always said nothing in the South prepared them for the bigotry in the North.
I'm pretty sure the border states went farther North (MD, KY, MO, etc.).

Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times
Quote:
It will sound terrible, but it's because much of the black population does not vote and are not politically involved, or in some cases they are discouraged or scared to vote.

If the entire black population came out and supported the democratic party, like most do, the deep south would all become battle ground states.
I think the black population does vote in most states. Just not the Deep South for whatever reason. It's like some symbolic extension of Jim Crowe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.