Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I think Phoenix takes the cake, lol.
What city overshadows Phoenix? Los Angeles seems rather far to have an influence over America's 6th largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Honestly, he's right, the Spurs have put SA more on the map than the Alamo ever did in modern times (big caveat -- modern times!). Sorry to burst your bubble.

As a side note, I've been to the Alamo and I was bored to tears. I'm not a history buff, admittedly, but for such a "popular" icon I was amazed at how uninterested I was while there. I was also not a fan of the Riverwalk, which felt WAY too corporate and fake for some reason (I realize most people absolutely adore the Riverwalk). So perhaps I have a bias when talking about SA -- a negative one. I didn't get what all of the hype was about. I was there a good 10+ years ago though, so maybe a lot has changed since then.

This is not to say that SA is boring or not a fun place for most people, but I personally didn't care for it and I personally don't think most Americans yearn to see the Alamo like they do with other National monuments (like Mount Rushmore, Statue of Liberty or even the St. Louis Arch).
In the ten years since, the Alamo is still the Alamo, and the Riverwalk is bigger and corporate fake as you call it. Never saw the hub bub in that place. I guess after a couple of those Texas sized drinks, if you squint hard I guess you will get a more magical feel.

Anyway Fort Worth is the real overshadowed city in Texas. It is the biggest city no one knows about, or everyone thinks is a suburb.

Not many people think of it as an independent city as old as Dallas. The two developed together, but Dallas started outpacing it about 90 years ago.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,267,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
What's Jacksonville overshadowed by? I'd agree that it's one of the lesser-known big cities, but overshadowed?
Same thing I said. I don't even consider Jacksonville a major city because it's 747 sq miles in land (the size of a county) and has only 800,000 people. If it was a normal sized city, it would only have 250-350,000. Meanwhile Miami is on 35 sq miles in land and has 430,000+.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
It's the size of a county because it is. They consolidated ages ago

Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 AM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
What city overshadows Phoenix? Los Angeles seems rather far to have an influence over America's 6th largest city.
Las Vegas.

When 38,000,000 Californians want to go on an exciting 'staycation', Vegas comes to mind, not Phoenix. When people think about the desert south west, Phoenix might be mentioned but most people only think about dirt, cacti, tumbleweed, and heat before even thinking about Phoenix.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:45 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
Same thing I said. I don't even consider Jacksonville a major city because it's 747 sq miles in land (the size of a county) and has only 800,000 people. If it was a normal sized city, it would only have 250-350,000. Meanwhile Miami is on 35 sq miles in land and has 430,000+.
What does land size have to do with anything? Oklahoma City and Houston are in the neighborhood of 600 square miles and don't hear anyone squawking about their populations being disproportionate. Jacksonville's population density is 989 per square mile versus the Florida average of 285 per square mile, which is pretty good for the 4th largest metro area in a low density state.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPortCity View Post
I agree. Most people do not know that Fort Worth is larger than Charlotte. They think of it as part of Dallas. They don't understand it's 30 mins away from Dallas.
Charlotte, and:

- Detroit
- Boston
- Seattle
- Atlanta
- Washington (D.C.)
- Baltimore
- Las Vegas
- Miami
- Portland
- Cleveland
- Cincinnati

(And before anyone starts, I'm just going by city population because I'm assuming PortCity is thinking the same)

Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Phoenix is basically a Inland Empire So Cal like city with Arizona license plates Tuscon has less influence from the Los Angeles megaregion than Phoenix.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:47 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,110,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In the ten years since, the Alamo is still the Alamo, and the Riverwalk is bigger and corporate fake as you call it. Never saw the hub bub in that place. I guess after a couple of those Texas sized drinks, if you squint hard I guess you will get a more magical feel.

Anyway Fort Worth is the real overshadowed city in Texas. It is the biggest city no one knows about, or everyone thinks is a suburb.

Not many people think of it as an independent city as old as Dallas. The two developed together, but Dallas started outpacing it about 90 years ago.

S.A. attracts nearly 30 million annual visitors and is in the national spotlight quite often. Overshadowed? I would say not really, but, certainly underrated by some in here. The Riverwalk is urban and commercialized but corporate isn't a good description.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 PM

507 posts, read 806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
S.A. attracts nearly 30 million annual visitors and is in the national spotlight quite often. Overshadowed? I would say not really, but, certainly underrated by some in here. The Riverwalk is urban and commercialized but corporate isn't a good description.
It beats anything Houston has
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.