Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Western states more "transplant-friendly" than the Southern states?
Yes 95 61.69%
No 59 38.31%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 02:29 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,563 times

Advertisements

I think the hostility comes from both sides. Some northerners come to the South and complain, complain, complain about schools, cities, weather, aka "home was better, I came down because I had to, not wanted to". That gets old quick. Some Southerners have the idea that the Northerners think they are better than them, and resent them for it. I can see why a Southerner would think a Northerner was talking down to them, since "nothing in the South can compare to New York, Boston, Philly, DC, etc." As a result, neither side truly likes each other.

In the west, I'm guessing that Northerners don't complain as much because it isn't as hot and the cities resemble their hometown more? And there's no history of major hostility between California and the North like the Civil War.

I've noticed that Westerners tend to move to the South with no problem. Probably for the same reason: No major hostility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I think the hostility comes from both sides. Some northerners come to the South and complain, complain, complain about schools, cities, weather, aka "home was better, I came down because I had to, not wanted to". That gets old quick. Some Southerners have the idea that the Northerners think they are better than them, and resent them for it. I can see why a Southerner would think a Northerner was talking down to them, since "nothing in the South can compare to New York, Boston, Philly, DC, etc." As a result, neither side truly likes each other.

In the west, I'm guessing that Northerners don't complain as much because it isn't as hot and the cities resemble their hometown more? And there's no history of major hostility between California and the North like the Civil War.

I've noticed that Westerners tend to move to the South with no problem. Probably for the same reason: No major hostility.
I think it's true when you move someplace and complain about it to the natives, they aren't gonna be too happy! Westerners aren't complainers, they tolerate things without vocalization and facial contortions. Hehe. Northeasterners, not all, but most, for example, must vocalize about every thing, every detail of existence (I noticed this when I moved back to the region). If they feel, hear or see it, they must let you know.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
California has to be one of the most transplant-friendly places- have been here for 7 years. There's some rivalry between different cities and states on the west coast, but all the Pacific states are very welcoming to transplants. Southern California in particular is home to every sort of person you can imagine.

I never felt welcomed in the deeper South (I'm from the Northeast) and am never comfortable there. Some of my family members moved to or vacation in various Southern states -Tennessee, Carolinas, Florida- and always say wonderful things about these areas.

However, when in southern Louisiana (visiting in-laws, not really as a tourist or transplant), I experience a lot of hurtful comments. It's hard to explain because nothing is outright and everything seems to have a second meaning. It's not an issue of being a loud, complaining Yankee as other posts have asserted- I don't talk much there without being addressed first, and definitely don't talk about my home state unless asked.

Trouble is, I'm asked a lot about "up there", usually baited questions to set me up for some cutting remark or veiled insult. Another common occurrence is being asked a question, but then then being cut off when I begin to reply. Lots of backhanded compliments and uncomfortable comments that are said in a polite way. "Yankee" as a derogatory term is very, very common. In NE and on the West Coast, I've never heard anyone use the word "yankee" outside of a history lecture...and still have not gotten used to the term.

This weird stuff happens with a lot of people I meet there, not just the families- neighbors, friends of the family, even service provides. It's been very hard to navigate socially there.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Moving from Orlando to Chandler Arizona is for me a mixed bag of tricks. Like all new work assignments I was motivated to put my best foot forward. We still to this day can get settle hereafter 7 looooong years with out Family and Friends about, not to mention living in a apartment instead a midsize home on a big lot in Kissimmee , Fl. Chandler Gilbert are nice and some what remind me of Orlando.
People are some what welcoming, but it lacks the kind of Southern Hospitality prefer. Mrs .G likes the homes and the up scale service this town has to offer. I look at the Valley as being trapped. Not sure what draws people to stay long term.
Good gun laws and with that bad guys are less likely to do home invasion due to the fact every other home has some home defense.
My business has been broke into twice this year and thank God I was not there. Phx PD was less than caring about the whole thing.
California, San Diego. Big Surprise. Not expecting what I heard and thought. One word Nice! People were nice and helpful. Even a SD Police officer helped me find my way back to the SDBay. Reminded me of so many places in Central Florida. expensive to live there but very nice. Most Southern Californians are very concerned about the direction of there state and leaves me the thought that positive change for California is coming. Gun Laws area over kill as a result only Bad Guys and the Police have guns Hmmmmm.
In a word I love the water and that what makes me look at Florida for my last leap business wise. This Thing about Yankee. Don't take it to heart. Its their way for you to loosen up and enjoy life.
The war War between the North and South is long since done. What you are missing is that the South is independent and believe in the 10th amendment and States Rights. Still a important point to this day.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
From my personal experience, the west is more of a live and let live kind of place where the south is very tradition oriented. People "find themselves" out west where down south you're expected to "join the crowd". I'm a native Midwesterner and I hope to get back someday.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Also, I've yet to hear the term "Yankee" being thrown around in a derogatory manner in the West like I did when I was in FL. Nothing ticks me off more than that. Believe it or not, in FL, I would hear things like, "Oh, he's a pain in the *** because he's a Yankee," or, "She's hard to live with because she's a Yankee." The funny thing is that almost everyone in FL younger than 30 years old, whether they were born there or not, has parents who are from up North. Therefore, these folks are hardly qualified to throw around insults like that. I could understand if a fourth-generation Georgian or Alabamian said something like that, but not a first generation South Floridian. LOL.

Question Zona Zoo? How many years have actually Lived in Florida or do base your conclusion on what think is wrong with the East Coast, Florida, Georgia, Bama? I have spent most of my Life raising a Kid and having a real life in Central Florida.
This Yankee thing is total left field. The reason they may say that is if you try to let's say make Orlando into Tucson. That's where the problem lies. One can even say that there are a bunch followers here in AZ as well. I sell industrial goods here and let me tell you I run into al of of order takers , not sales people.
Point: Who in the world passes 3 tax increases ? Arizona does. The Kicker is these could been repealed. I have passed Tucson and have explored your town and was very unimpressed with Tucson. But if you like it and its home its all good. it . Its your Home and that's fine.

the Southern States also believes in the 10th amendment and States rights. We are proud of this and some times we Southerners just have to separate us from follow the leader . This Independent state of mind to get other people to wakeup and smell the roses.

Since you go out of your way bashing the South East, you clearly do not understand. Its good thing you have chosen the West Coast and Tucson Arizona.

If try to treat people and understand the difference you may just get a long in Florida. We are a mixing pot of people trying to escape from there life's and has come to Florida for a new start.
We love tourist and welcome all to the Great State of Florida.
Even you ZonaZoo would be welcomed and we would win your bad attitude. We have Southern Hospitality that could make even the Grinch feel welcome. Some of us may have a twang but we challenge you to experience the real Florida. Have Caffe con Lecche and kick you flips off.
See a real football team the University of Florida Gators vs any in the SEC. That fun and it does not really matter who wins. We have good time with it.

To be honest I have not accepted Phoenix as home. But I will not try to change this place because of my distaste for this town. I respect the choice of the long term Phoenicians who have made their stand here.

PS Grow a little thick skin, you may not stress so much!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 AM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Moving from Orlando to Chandler Arizona is for me a mixed bag of tricks. Like all new work assignments I was motivated to put my best foot forward. We still to this day can get settle hereafter 7 looooong years with out Family and Friends about, not to mention living in a apartment instead a midsize home on a big lot in Kissimmee , Fl. Chandler Gilbert are nice and some what remind me of Orlando.
I agree. Chandler and Gilbert are very nice areas; however, they remind me more of South Florida suburbs than Orlando suburbs. And of course, Scottsdale is the Boca Raton of Arizona.

Quote:
People are some what welcoming, but it lacks the kind of Southern Hospitality prefer.
IMO, people in Arizona are much friendlier and more welcoming than people in Florida. But then again, I moved from South Florida to Tucson. YMMV.

I hate to break it to you, but there's very little Southern hospitality to be had in Central Florida, especially in Kissimmee. Any "hospitality" you may encounter in Kissimmee is most likely forced, since that area is tourist-central.

Moreover, once you get away from the tourist drags, you're probably not going to be treated that nicely if you don't speak Spanish. Kissimmee is home to many Puerto Ricans, and those folks, at least in that area, are not that welcoming and hospitable to non-Puerto Ricans and/or those who cannot speak Spanish. Kissimmee is the Hialeah of Orlando. Yeah, no thanks.

Quote:
Not sure what draws people to stay long term.
I don't entertain stupidity.

Quote:
Reminded me of so many places in Central Florida. expensive to live there but very nice.
The people in Southern California are much nicer, friendlier, more outgoing, and more polite than people in Central Florida. It's not even a contest, really. People in Central and South Florida really suck by comparison.

Quote:
In a word I love the water and that what makes me look at Florida for my last leap business wise. This Thing about Yankee. Don't take it to heart. Its their way for you to loosen up and enjoy life.
The war War between the North and South is long since done. What you are missing is that the South is independent
Last time I checked, the South was still part of the U.S. Perhaps I was looking at an outdated map?

Quote:
Question Zona Zoo? How many years have actually Lived in Florida or do base your conclusion on what think is wrong with the East Coast, Florida, Georgia, Bama?
There's nothing wrong with the East Coast or Florida. I just don't enjoy being called or referred to as a "Yankee," and I don't like hearing that word thrown around in casual conversation. It's just not cool. Have some respect, bro.

Quote:
The reason they may say that is if you try to let's say make Orlando into Tucson. That's where the problem lies.
There's no problem here. I would never attempt to transform a city into something it's not. Why would I do something like that? I think you're confusing me with you've mistaken me for some liberal Democrat who consistently votes for tax increases. I'm not from California, you know.

Quote:
I have passed Tucson and have explored your town and was very unimpressed with Tucson. But if you like it and its home its all good. it . Its your Home and that's fine.
It's only my home until I graduate from the University of Arizona next spring; I'm a senior in college.

Quote:
Even you ZonaZoo would be welcomed and we would win your bad attitude.
I don't have a bad attitude; I just call a spade a spade.

Quote:
We have Southern Hospitality that could make even the Grinch feel welcome.
Let me repeat, there's no Southern hospitality in Central Florida. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
Some of us may have a twang but we challenge you to experience the real Florida.
I've met more individuals with Southern accents in Arizona than I ever did in Florida.

Quote:
Have Caffe con Lecche and kick you flips off.
There's nothing Southern about cafe con leche: That's a Spanish/Cuban beverage.

I don't know why I'm wasting my time, LOL.

Quote:
See a real football team the University of Florida Gators vs any in the SEC. That fun and it does not really matter who wins. We have good time with it.
Arizona Wildcats, all day, every day.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 AM

The thing I noticed w/ the West though is the friendliness is only skin-deep, which was okay to me, but not for some. They don't like confrontation or "in your face" anything so it's laid back. Bu if you're looking for "deeper" or long term friendships, well... depends on your needs. Open mindedness & live and let live you won't find anywhere like the West. But, some cities in the South, transplant ones, larger metros can at least be more open minded. I think different parts of the West, too, aren't as "friendly" as others. Cali vs. Wa. state vs. Montana--different vibes. Some places in West are insular, too. And, the superficial thing can get to you, like in certain parts of Cali. Zonie had it, Scottsdale thing. More plastic surgeons per capita in Scottsdale vs.anywheres. Kinda humorous at worst.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-26-2013 at 04:06 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
The thing I noticed w/ the West though is the friendliness is only skin-deep, which was okay to me, but not for some. They don't like confrontation or "in your face" anything so it's laid back. Bu if you're looking for "deeper" or long term friendships, well... depends on your needs. Open mindedness & live and let live you won't find anywhere like the West. But, some cities in the South, transplant ones, larger metros can at least be more open minded. I think different parts of the West, too, aren't as "friendly" as others. Cali vs. Wa. state vs. Montana--different vibes. Some places in West are insular, too. And, the superficial thing can get to you, like in certain parts of Cali. Zonie had it, Scottsdale thing. More plastic surgeons per capita in Scottsdale vs.anywheres. Kinda humorous at worst.
That's how I feel about "Southern hospitality". It's superficial and only to keep up appearances. I've never experienced more behind the back talk and backstapping as I have in the south. Polite to your face, vicious when you walk away.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:45 AM

I think the Western attitude isn't so much about "appearances" (except parts of Cali). It's just they don't want to waste time on anyone unless they want to. Just live their lives and let things be. I like that to an extent, but it can be taken too far--no sense of helping each other/community with that vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.